• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to TRS

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello from New Jersey,

My name is Lando and I'm pretty much new to anything and everything I'll be reading on this website in the near future. I looked around the website for a few days here and there, seeing the support you were all giving each other and it inspired me to finally sign up. I apologize if I post threads in the wrong sections I'm still new to the forum layout(first time actually signing up for a forum). I just recently obtained a 1995 Ford Ranger XLT gifted to me by my step father and there are quite a few changes I'd like to make. Hopefully I have the courage to put in the physical labor. The idea of this post is to introduce myself to a few regulars before I just start throwing out questions and requests.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome!

Good first post; ask away.

For those just beginning the journey, getting on top of your truck's regular maintenance is a great starting point.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Welcome Lando!

Be sure to check out the Tech section up top, there’s a lot of good info there.

-Iazzer

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome to TRS
One good place to start is to get a motor manual for your model truck at the parts store, it will be one of the best purchases you'll ever make
I had a cousin who rebuilt autos for show, most were museum quality. He had a friend who had a used car lot, who threw in a set of jumper cables with every car sold :D

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Replies already? You guys don't mess around. So, first question. I downloaded a pdf file labeled "Owners Manual" would that suffice as a motor manual or is this just general information?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
No. The "Owners Manual" is a booklet that comes with the truck from Ford, that mainly tells how to operate everything on the truck, though it does include some specifications and some maintenance info, mainly suggested schedules.

A Motors Manual, like a Chilton's Manual, is an aftermarket (i.e.- non-Ford) book that does cover how to actually work on your truck and they should include at least some wiring schematics. These types of manuals are very good for getting started, and understanding the basics of wrenchology. These books can be found at parts stores (and eBay).

The top tier are the various books and manuals directly from Ford that were sent to the dealerships. These can be found, used of course, on eBay.

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'll be sure to get on that. That manual will save you guys from a lot of questions. Lol.

Aside from learning how to maintain my Ranger and keeping it up to standard I'd like to make some cosmetic changes. The first I'm interested in is changing the wheels. I really like the mustang style wheels and wanted to keep it within the Ford family anyway.

lrs-1007saa_b5eaae57.jpg

This style of wheel really appeals to me.
Love the classic muscle car look. I believe they are 17 inch 5 lugs. Would this fit without modification?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
That manual will save you guys from a lot of questions. Lol.
That's OK. Jim pays us well; some of us are piece-rate, others are hourly. :stirthepot:

Seriously, though, no idea on the wheels. Hopefully you'll get some other responses from the unruly but knowledgeable mob.

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok, thanks I'll try my luck making a separate post for that. You guys are great!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
careful with those Ebay manuals on CD
I have two of them, both are Ford CD and are meticulous in their detail of everything on it, they are the actual CDs used in Ford shops during those years
Here is the problem, I have one I got for a 96 Explorer, but it actually covers a broad range of their vehicles from 96-99, and it works fine on Windows 10
The other one I got first and it was for my 93 Ranger (it also covers most truck and Bronco/Explorers those years), it was actually made prior to Windows 95 and it will Not work on Windows 10, but I have an older one with Windows XP I can use it with

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm going to go for the Chilton's manual that RobbieD mentioned. Would that be best or would a more recently produced manual be more informative?

I would enjoy flipping through the pages. Lol

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
One thing that I have noticed about aftermarket repair manuals, is that the more models that they try to cover, there's less detail for any particular model.

In other words, if given the choice of two manuals, say "Ranger 1993-97" or "Ranger 1993-2011", I'd get the first one.

Haynes is another good manual.

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I actually saw the Haynes and was going to ask, which would be the better of the two? Can't wait to learn!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know if there is a "better" one, they both pretty much cover the subject. Some may have preferences, I never really had any

I just looked at my current repair manual shelf and there are 7 Haynes and one Chilton. With one large hardback Import cars repair manual 1980-87 by Chilton

I cannot recall ever going in a parts place and asking for any brand name manual, just the make and model of vehicle.
I do however believe I have been encouraged to use one particular over another at some point in time butI cannot recall which one it may have been

Last edited:

AutoRnD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I understand. I suppose I'll focus on getting a book with all its pages. Lol. Also, one that isn't too broad as RobbieD suggested. Man, you guys really are the best!

Sorry if I ask minor questions, I just want to learn as much as I can and do things correctly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals