• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New toy: 4.0 OHV supercharged

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
So it's just an explorer engine some guy tossed a blower on......???

I hate that for you if that's the case. But judging by vin...... I don't think an experimental mule would be tossed in a production rig sold on a lot.

but a very very good find.

Frank

monsterchuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volkswagen
Engine Size
Compression-ignition
Transmission
Manual
Well, I'm not thinking it's a mule engine anymore, those giddy school-girl like feelings are gone. But I am thinking that maybe this was something Ford and/or a Ford dealer had put together, and then wrecked or dismantled. There was some kind of project involved, the guy I bought this engine from said that when he bought it, there were two other engines just like it. And that's the thing, according to carfax, the truck was never sold. There is no owner history of any kind that I can find, as of yet.

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So a gm 3.8 series 1 super charger bolts on a 4.0?

monsterchuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volkswagen
Engine Size
Compression-ignition
Transmission
Manual
No, it has a custom-made intake for it. Thought about maybe reproducing it, though.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It certainly does look like a dealership was playing around with a special edition Exploder. Maybe a bit like the old Royal Oak Pontiacs, if you know what that is. You will with Google.

Very interesting. You definately want to put it in a '91-'92 with a 4.0 and just replace the engines and leave everything else. A red short-bed, regular cab 2wd with 14" rims and chrome center caps. And a cool blower whine.

iceracer60

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 h.o.
Transmission
Manual
awesome find dude and keep us informed on what your puttin it in

monsterchuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volkswagen
Engine Size
Compression-ignition
Transmission
Manual
Will, I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. I have no idea what the Royal Oak Pontiacs are, and google is not helping me at all, oddly enough. When I saw that the truck had never even been sold, my first thought was about Yenko Camaros, which I'm guessing(just GUESSING) is pretty similar to these Royal Oak Pontiacs you speak of.

You do paint a nice picture with the red '91-'92 shortbed std. cab 2wd, but I don't really want a street vehicle. I already have a Pontiac Fiero I've put a (mildly tweaked) 3800 series II supercharged in, and I have a hard time seeing this engine even trying to keep up with that. I want a 4x4 unit that I can take out and whomp on in a cornfield, or go blast snowdrifts with, you know?

Iceracer, I plan on keeping you guys posted. I couldn't keep this all to myself:)

Last edited:

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
^^ sounds like what i want it for

monsterchuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volkswagen
Engine Size
Compression-ignition
Transmission
Manual
Alright, got a question for you guy's on this. I haven't got a truck/wiring harness/pcm to play with yet, but I am looking into what it's going to take to fuel this thing. Checking the fuel pressure regulator and injector numbers online, I can tell that I have the stock explorer fuel pressure regulator, and I have 30# injectors from a super coupe. I thought 30# injectors might be a little big for my 4.0, but they used them on the 3.8 SC, so I guess they should be tunable, but what do you guy's think? I was thinking more like 24# injectors. Also, do you think the stock 4.0 Ranger pump will be able to supply enough fuel? I have a universal Walbro 255 that I was saving for the Fiero should I ever need it, but if I don't have to use that, I don't want to.

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
30's are fine - easily tunable
stock fuel pump is marginal - don't recommending running the 255 - better to run a 155

Bird

monsterchuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volkswagen
Engine Size
Compression-ignition
Transmission
Manual
Well, after lurking around here for a few days, if there is anyone I want to answer my questions, it's you. Could you elaborate a little more on the fuel pumps? Define "marginal" for the stock pump. Will it hold up under 6-8 psi at WOT? Or will be beyond the pumps capabilities at that point? I know that's kind of a speculative question, but I want a decent margin of error on my side. Also, why wouldn't you reccomend the 255? Any particular problems with the pump itself?

v8nick

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know why you couldn't run the 255, but then again I don't know crap about the 4.0. I have the 255 in my Trans Am, but then again it makes more power n/a than that 4.0 makes being blown.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Even if it does have a return fuel system, the 4.0l will never use that amount of fuel and the pump's working against itself. A 155lph would be plenty given the stocker is somewhere in the 60lph range.

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
but then again I don't know crap about the 4.0
You're 100% correct on that issue..................

The 255 is WAY too much fuel pump for the Ranger - with it's small fuel lines and low fuel demand, the 255 pump would be pushing fuel like crazy, even with the return system. As previously stated, the stock 60 lph pump works ok for the stock 4,0, but when adding mods that increase fuel demand, a 155 lph will be needed to provide more than adequate supply for whatever size injectors the 4.0 will be able to run and the 155 won't be straining or overheating while doing it.

I run twin 255's in my Lightning, but it can handle it nicely - ran a 255 in my SS, but dropped back to a 190 lph after the 255 died an early death and have had no problems ever since - sometimes, going huge is not the answer........

Bird

ps. running a 155 in the Splash and I'm definitely running more boost than the one described in this thread.........

Last edited:

monsterchuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volkswagen
Engine Size
Compression-ignition
Transmission
Manual
Alright, looks like a 155 pump will be added to the to-do list. And while I do thank you for passing on your experience and volunteering your input, your comment about v8nick was a little rude. We don't all share the same knowledge or experience, and rubbing it in someones face like that isn't needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals