• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New toy: 4.0 OHV supercharged

Bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, looks like a 155 pump will be added to the to-do list. And while I do thank you for passing on your experience and volunteering your input, your comment about v8nick was a little rude. We don't all share the same knowledge or experience, and rubbing it in someones face like that isn't needed.
Half joking / half serious - one of my biggest peeves on these forums is that someone with no experience will get on these boards and offer advise that could lead to whomever follows it having to waste time / money finding out that the advise was wrong. In these days of economic instability, I know I sure don't want to waste any more than I have to and really don't want anyone else to do that.

BTW - your engine is an earlier 4.0 block that was set up to run in a later model 94+ Ranger and it appears that whoever did the supercharger knew what they were attempting with the fabrication / machining of the larger lower pulley and the tensioner and bracket - first kind of that sort of configuration that I've seen.

Bird

monsterchuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volkswagen
Engine Size
Compression-ignition
Transmission
Manual
I understand completely, with not wanting mis-information to get thrown around, but it's hard to get an idea of whether people are joking or serious when it's just text on a screen and there's no tone of voice or anything. But hey, at least he did come right out and say that he doesn't really know, it's better than some people do.

I agree, I do have a unique setup here. I've compared it to as many pictures/videos of BBK and Explorer Express kits as I can find (which isn't that many, actually), and none of them are quite the same. I know Explorer Express only does SOHC engines now, but I looked anyway. I'm really intrigued by the fact that the tag on this engine says it was owned by Ford when it was supercharged, and that the VIN on that same tag traces back to an Explorer that was never sold. The carfax I ran simply said that it was manufactured and shipped to a dealer. That's it. If I get the ambition, I'll scan the tag and post it here.

bruker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have you tried to contact the original dealer and asked them about the history?

Madracingalley

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volvo....
Engine Size
2.4L T5
Transmission
Automatic
I say. Put it in what it came out of. See what the dealer intended to make. Who knows, It might be awesome. Contact the dealer, see what they know.

By the way it looks, A dealer bought 3-4 Trucks direct from for, installed these supercharger setups, and when ford found out. They made the dealer dismantle and crush the bodies and send the engines back to ford for analysis and they sold them at an auction as an experimental.... Just A Warning, The Dealer in charge of these engines may be lieable and NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT THIS CONCEPT

Tell us what dealership they were from!!!! We want to know!

monsterchuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volkswagen
Engine Size
Compression-ignition
Transmission
Manual
I'd like to know what dealer myself. The carfax never gave me that info. It just said "manufactured and delivered to original dealer".
Here, you guys can have the VIN.

1FMDU34X6NUA25933

The dealership I work at can't tell me squat. Maybe someone else here has a connection that might be more helpful.

v8nick

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Half joking / half serious - one of my biggest peeves on these forums is that someone with no experience will get on these boards and offer advise that could lead to whomever follows it having to waste time / money finding out that the advise was wrong. In these days of economic instability, I know I sure don't want to waste any more than I have to and really don't want anyone else to do that.

BTW - your engine is an earlier 4.0 block that was set up to run in a later model 94+ Ranger and it appears that whoever did the supercharger knew what they were attempting with the fabrication / machining of the larger lower pulley and the tensioner and bracket - first kind of that sort of configuration that I've seen.

Bird
I didn't really take it as rude, because I dont know anything about the 4.0. Ask me about the 5.0 and I can tell you anything you want to know, same with an LT1, I know all kinds of stuff about it but I don't know crap about an LS1. However, I was wasn't handing out advice either, rather making a comment and also hoping for a correct answer to the OP's question so I can learn. But it is a pet peeve of mine for someone to assume something that is not correct. I in no way said "it works for me so it should work for you". I said i didn't know why it wouldn't work, now I know why it won't.

As far as going huge on my fuel pump, well I have ported and polished heads, decent sized cam and 30lb injectors on my LT1, so yeah I had to go with a bigger fuel pump. The 255 is what was recommended to me by more than one person that have built LT1s.

monsterchuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volkswagen
Engine Size
Compression-ignition
Transmission
Manual
Well, got me a truck to put this in, 1994 5-speed 4x4, and I need to start looking into tuning. I looked around, at TwEECer, Quarterhorse, Jaybird, and I'm not really sure what's going to fit me best. I don't want to spend more on tuning software and equipment than I did on the engine itself. I need something relatively user-friendly, too. What do you guys think would be the best setup?

BTW, PCM number is HAG0.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals