• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

OHV to SOHC?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The SOHC 4.0 is all of the things everyone wished they could do to their pushrod 4.0. It had some chain guide disintegration problems but that should be behind it by now. By current standards, a SOHC 4.0 should be on par with a typical 2.5 liter, variable-valve timing, 4-valve motor. The SOHC 4.0 is old now and it was intended as a conversion to the pushrod 4.0 to bring it into the 200hp range to make it competitive in advertising. When it came out, it was competing with the 190hp Vortec 4300 in the Chevy/GMC. Both are great truck motors, but bad for advertisers because they post low peak numbers. All 4.0s are great truck motors, as is the 4.3. For hauling ass, any 2.5 with all the modern fixings will kick its ass. But to me, a truck motor is a power plant that has to move the truck and whatever I chain it to, plus keep the winch batteries ncharged and the cab heated. I'm really happy with the pushrod motor.

Those V8 replacement suggestions are not high performance motors. Even a 5.8 is weak in today's terms. A 460 from a late 70's truck is just 200hp. I would rather have a sohc 4.0 than any of those.

My wife's car is a 2005 Honda Pilot with a 255hp 3.5 liter motor. It's old--we bought it new--but it's my baseline for respect. If it will kick your builds ass, don't build it. I know for a fact it will destroy a 2000 Explorer Sport with a sohc 4.0. What's the point of building that? Four valves, variable cam timing, variable geometry intake manifold--these are all things Ford installs reluctantly. Back when I was a kid--GM put a 4-barrel on everything but almost all Ford's only had the stupid Autolite 2V carb. Ford was stingy back then and still is.

Build your truck for what it's meant to be--a truck. Focus on the truck things because even with a 210hp 351W, every V6 built in the last 10 years will kick its ass.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Honestly id do a sohc swap. You can hit 250 HP easy with it and that's honestly plenty for a ranger. Plus you won't have 5.0 gas mileage.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals