• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opinions on 2002 Ford Explorer 4x4

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
They have the same tranny as a Ranger. Parents has somehwere around 100k on it it and it still shifts fine. I think it had about 40k on it when they got it.

Given what else the Explorer has had it is probably the best tranny in a V6 Explorer.

The IRS makes a plumb fool out of the '94 Ex that it replaced on a road trip. Totally makes it look stupid. Somehow the bigger body doesn't catch as much crosswind either.

You probably don't care down there but they are a friggin tank in the snow with a L/S. :icon_thumby:

I always laughed that the Freestyle looked like a rolled Explorer :icon_rofl:

Not too many of them or the Taurus X that replaced them around here.
i think that sometimes when people get too much trouble with their vehicles, is just because how they treat them.
a person that says "i baby my truck, i give full maintenace, but it sucks because the dash bulbs went out. ford sucks for this" isnt quite objective imo.
ive seen people doing stupid things with a vehicle or making it do stuff it wasnt meant to do and then blame the maker for the issues.
a lot of internet reviews state the tranny being a common problem, but they dont state if people tow stuff with them, or they even dont know how to use an automatic, yes i know, sounds lame, but ive seen people having trouble using one:lame:

this one is 4x4, but i didnt had time to check if it has L/S
the owner manuals are in the glove box tho, so it may had a good owner in the States imo. judging for how my truck is and the fact that it had all the manuals in the glove box.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The 02s had a lot of problems with the rear diff as well.

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
my brother has an 03 2dr 2wd 4.0 auto and its a great truck. he has had 22" rims on it for about a year and he drives it hard and the trans is yet to go south.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 02s had a lot of problems with the rear diff as well.
That is something to watch for, but by now most should be pretty well thinned out.

BTW, my parents have never towed anything with it. RBV automatics are not really meant for towing IMO.

They had to replace the driveshaft, which I thought was a joke. On a car where the rear axle doesn't move it should last longer than one in a car where it does move... and they usually last forever there. The slip part wore out and would caused the whole thing to vibrate. My brother works at a Ford dealership and has never had to replace another though.

Otherwise just rear struts, wheel bearings, tires and brakes... fairly normal high milage car stuff. It has been a pretty good car for the 5 years and 60k miles they have had it. There are a TON of them around, that should say something too.

It was sideswiped last year, the rear wheel is what stopped the other car... and it didn't even get knocked out of aligment. The wheel got messed up, there was a hunk of plastic bumper wedged between the tire and wheel... so I think it took a pretty good hit.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't buy one of those. As far as i'm concerned, the explorer went down the tubes after the 2nd gen.

Once mine is in the graveyard, if I can't find a good solid explorer replacement, I'll be going with an Xterra. Still a good 'ol body of frame with a solid rear axle....no fancy roadtrip friendly crap, but can still stand its own as a family hauler and play in the mud.

My cousin had an '02 and he couldn't pull a jimmy out of the ditch with it in 4lo. How pathetic is that?

And my final issue with them. Why in gods name did they get so big?

Rant over. Sorry. lol.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
That is something to watch for, but by now most should be pretty well thinned out.

BTW, my parents have never towed anything with it. RBV automatics are not really meant for towing IMO.

They had to replace the driveshaft, which I thought was a joke. On a car where the rear axle doesn't move it should last longer than one in a car where it does move... and they usually last forever there. The slip part wore out and would caused the whole thing to vibrate. My brother works at a Ford dealership and has never had to replace another though.

Otherwise just rear struts, wheel bearings, tires and brakes... fairly normal high milage car stuff. It has been a pretty good car for the 5 years and 60k miles they have had it. There are a TON of them around, that should say something too.

It was sideswiped last year, the rear wheel is what stopped the other car... and it didn't even get knocked out of aligment. The wheel got messed up, there was a hunk of plastic bumper wedged between the tire and wheel... so I think it took a pretty good hit.
exactly my point, theres like a million of these things driving around, if i count them, ill easilly see from 50 to 100 in a day. my stepbrother had a 02 for like almost 2 years and never had an issue, he traded it for a Ranger because hes a cheap mofo that liked to drive with comfort and good looks, but didnt like to pay for the gas the 4.0 drinks.
were gonna test it today, and if by chance the tranny has any small issue(vibration, noise slipping) were gonna walk away from it, but if its in perfect condition, we may walk away with it :D
I wouldn't buy one of those. As far as i'm concerned, the explorer went down the tubes after the 2nd gen.

Once mine is in the graveyard, if I can't find a good solid explorer replacement, I'll be going with an Xterra. Still a good 'ol body of frame with a solid rear axle....no fancy roadtrip friendly crap, but can still stand its own as a family hauler and play in the mud.

My cousin had an '02 and he couldn't pull a jimmy out of the ditch with it in 4lo. How pathetic is that?

Rant over. Sorry. lol.
well he wont pull anyone or anything, not even wheel it, at much just drive it on some dirt roads now and then, so its ok for him.
hes looking for mostly for his 2 kids to ride in comfort.
besides hes got a good job and requires a certain level of representation. driving to work on a nice clean explorer will give him more rep than a truck i guess. its hard, but its true.

Last edited:

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
besides hes got a good job and requires a certain level of representation. driving to work on a nice clean explorer will give him more rep than a truck i guess. its hard, but its true.
Funny part about that is, Red Green JUST finnished commenting about people's status cars.

Mostly for the people who drive the new high priced vehicles.

He went on to say:

Ever see those commercials with the high class folks driving their high priced status-mobiles sideways through a snow drift? Ever watch those and think to yourself: "who drives like that?" then you get out on the highway and...there's your answer!

You know the type I'm talking about...the type that makes a nice relaxing drive turn into a teeth grinder.

They go sailing past you dodging in and out of traffic like they own the road. And the natural reaction to this is to drive like an idiot yourself!

But think for a second about this.

That guy is racing and cheating death to get to work early so he can get a promotion so he can make his car payments.

Meanwile, you're taking your time, driving in your k-car that's already payed off. If you show up to work late....nobody cares! YOU are living the sweet life! And in the end...YOU are the one that's much further ahead!

I LMAO'd at that.

Oh...and my wife's cousin has 2 kids and he drives an x-cab ranger. But he works the production side of a window and door company....so I guess rep doesn't matter there. lol.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
yeah. its true.
but the guy wants an explorer, so what can i do? lol :D
other than support him and keep him on the Ford side.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah...I suppose it could be worse. At least he's not looking at a Ridgeline or something like that. lol.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Yeah...I suppose it could be worse. At least he's not looking at a Ridgeline or something like that. lol.
or a darn mitsu montero sport, or 4 runner. or even a hiungay product
hes not into lifting and modding a truck for off road. he just wants a nice suv to drive around whit his family.

me on the other hand... well im here, that pretty much sums it all :D

ill post up what went on when i get back :icon_thumby:(gonna go and test it in a while)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Rant over. Sorry. lol.
Yeah, there are few "status cars" that can rival a 9 year old Ford Explorer. :icon_rofl:

For a family car they are great you will have a hard time finding one better. Some say it died as a offroader in '02, I say it died in '95.

'02+ has a fully boxed frame which is much stronger than the C-channel that proceeded it.

I grew up in a '94, the width of the '02 is nice for both room and tippyness. Even offroad (gopher infested farm lane around a field) the '02 feels much more stable.

In 4x4, aside from the tires (they are never aggressive from the factory) it should pull better than a earlier one because it is heavier. Spinning four tires is spinning four tires no matter what year the vehicle is.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
RSH, don't get me wrong man. I'd own one if I found the right deal. You just asked if there were any issues that anyone knew about them. The trans is the most glaring issue I've seen. My friends shop does see a lot of these, more 02+ Explorers than any other Ford. But, he also has a lot of Durangos and S-10 Blazers/Trailblazers.

The new Durangos have a POS for a transfer case.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
well we went to test it today, everything works fine, no weird noises, no vibrations. the trans shifts smoothly, the 4x4 works fine and fast.

so he took it :D

we tested the 4x4 on a small dirt bump(been raining all day) and man it works with no effort at all. even with street tires its pretty good at it.

hes pretty happy with it. i hope we made a good choice.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Glad to hear it all works the way it's supposed to. :D

If not, I'm sure we'll see a new member pop up. lol

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Glad to hear it all works the way it's supposed to. :D

If not, I'm sure we'll see a new member pop up. lol
nah he just asks me about stuff with the ranger, so it will be the same LOL

seems like it will need a brake checkup tho.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals