• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project 96 Explorer

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
16 posts and still no pics...I think I call:bsflag: Hey Chris, just messin with ya, but seriously,:worthless:
SVT

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
Okay guys!!! I still havent found the USB cable, but I got a few photobucket pics fro ya!

Before ANYTHING was removed, tweeked, or modded. The day she came home with me.

The FREE 13-54 manual shift t-case and driveshafts I scored!!!

And a really crappy pic of the D60 front I will be using. Thats a GENUINE 78 D60!!!

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Its about time!! Hey Chris, u can have the 60, I want the axles out of that 550 for my ranger!!:yahoo:

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
That 550 is only a 2wd.

And as many problem as Matt has been having with it, Im sure he'd sell you the whole truck WAY CHEAP if he could!!!

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
i would not use the d60 out back. get a 14 bolt, its a stronger axle and cheaper to lock & gear and go 35spline etc... also going disc brake swap is cheaper.
There are no full spools, 35 sp shafts or anything 35sp for a 14 bolt. Unless you go COMPLETELY custom and have it machined as a one-off piece.

I'll stick with my D60 rear as I got it free, and its already factory discs. :thefinger:

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
Okay...

I found the USB wire, so on with the pics!!!

Got her up on jack stands.....and removed the tires to get a better look at what I am working with....

Close up of the front...

Close up of the rear...

Now lets put her on a diet.....starting with the butt....its a little to small and narrow for me:icon_rofl:

Out with the old rear end...

What she's getting...(32sp D60 with FACTORY discs!!)

Mocking up the new...

(I think I need taller jackstands!! I still have a 2" lift block donated from a 92 Ranger to put in there!!!)

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
Now with the rear end mocked up for now (still gotta set the pinion angle after I convert the 2wd auto to an M5OD and manual 13-54)....

Lets start on the front....

With the front suspension removed...

Ive got some grinding and brackets to be removed...

But lets take a look at whats going in its place shall we? (78 D60 front)

Anyone care to help?

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
I still have the other side to go....

But lets get rid of some brackets I dont need....

That upper "A" arm makes a handy place to hold the brake caliper out of the way :)

Yes, I ground the remnants of the bracket that is completely hidden on the INSIDE of the frame rail. :thefinger: and I even ground the welds and made them match the contours of the frame rail....like where the 2 factory pieces were welded together.

Call me anal :icon_twisted:, but to me it makes for a cleaner looking build rather than having bits and pieces of old brackets hanging everywhere. Plus, if I get rid of them now, its easier to make any furture mods.

Last edited:

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
Well after about 3 days of grinding off brackets and junk on the front suspension, I decided to go on and set the pinion angel for the rear.

This was also brough on by the fact I wanted to slide a 2x4 block under the jackstands so I can fit my 2" lift block between the axle and the spring. All I had to use to lift both sides of the rear at once was the bumper. Mixed with the fact I dont have a suitable floor jack This problem will be cured next thursday as I will be buying one off the Cornwell truck), just a cheap Wal-Mart $20 job, almost lead to a major disaster!! The damn thing started leaning HARD to one side, and almost fell!! And I am working on this alone!!! :scare:

I managed to save it and still get the blocks under the stands, but there was a very LONG tense moment or 2 there!!!

Heres a pic showing how much it moved!! (The axle was in perfect alignment with the spring pins before I started the lift.)

So with the blocks under the stands, lets get to work...

1st thing I had to do was pull the auto tranny. I wont be using it cause its and auto, and its 2wd. So out it comes!

I will be going with the M5OD, so I used an old empty trans case and empty t-case for mock-up purposes. They were lighter than the real thing, and Im not exactly ready to install the trans or t-case yet.

So with the "firewall seam" mod completed, I bolted the empty cases to the motor, reinstalled the crossmember (for now till I make my custom one) and began.

And I found an old coax wire, tied it to a 1/2" drive 6" long extension, rested it against the bearing cuts inside the axle housing, and then ran it through the pinion hole, and tied the other end through a hole in the t-case yoke. This wire was flexible enough to be pulled tight, yet stiff enough to make a straight line. And so I installed the lift blocks,set the pinion angle, rechecked all my measurements, and then marked my spring pads for welding.

Now tomorrow I have to go and find some u-bolts and something to make the u-bolt plates out of. Im probably gonna use 1/4" plate so I can weld shock tabs to them

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Nice build and pics, but whats taking so damn long, your slow! Turn around, you'll get it done faster!!:D Just messing with ya, keep it up, I'll send ya mine when your done
SVT

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
I want to send out a HUGE thanks to my buddy Nick Ogden for the kick ass welding he did on my perches!!! Also filled in the old grinding gouges from where I got happy with a grinder and removed the old perches!

In his defense.....they are good clean welds, I just havent cleaned up the splatter and slag yet!!

kemicalburns

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
your going with all this 1 ton running gear yet your installing an m5od which is a very weak tranny.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If I know Taragon like I do, he'll be doing dual tcases, but I think he's looking for an explorer V8 to drop in...
SVT

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
your going with all this 1 ton running gear yet your installing an m5od which is a very weak tranny.
you seem to have only negative comments so far that make no sense. I have an FM145 and 1tons. I bet i would break a D60 before i break that FM145.

Good job so far Taragon. I would reconsider a few things like the lift blocks though. There is no reason to have them, new springs and/or shackles are cheap enough, you can also do it without having to reset the pinion angle most likely.:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals