• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project 96 Explorer

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
your going with all this 1 ton running gear yet your installing an m5od which is a very weak tranny.
Im sorry, I didnt realize that since this is my build, my time, parts, and money, and the fact that ford has used this trans since 88, and still uses it (I would say they wouldnt if it was such a "weak tranny") that I should change things and build it according to your ideas.:thefinger:

Plus Rick is right, if I dont go dual cases, I will be swapping in an Atlas 4.3 as soon as funds allow.

Last edited:

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
I am only using the lift blocks for now. I will get new springs made, or re-pack these as soon as I get it up and crawling.

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
Today, like many days to follow im sure, I set out witht he goal of getting the trans and t-case in "Fat Bitch", but alas, No Joy!!!

After calling everyone in town to find a pilot bearing, and no one having one, I just so happened to find one. A new one, but IDK who made it. I wanted Timken, but the nearest one around is an hour away....so I settled. This trans isnt as hard to get out as the trans in my B2, so the compromise was drawn, and I installed it into my flywheel.

Next came time to cut the carpet out of the way, and remove the solid floor plate so I can instal the trans and shifters. The carpet is a pain to cut, but I managed to get it done, and floor plate removed.

Next came time to remove the mock-up trans and tcase and auto flywheel, and trans block off plate. 15 mins later, this is what I had.

Now just for reference purposes for anyone who wants to do this, or cares, heres a pic of the differences between the auto and manual block off plates.

The auto one is on the left, and manual on the right. You can notice different cut outs...namely the square on the mid-lower right side of the manual one, and the open dowel pin holes, whereas the auto has enclosed dowel holes, as well as the "drip" hole in the auto one whereas the manual one has none. Also, 2 things that dont show in this pic are the words "Auto" and "Man" stamped across the bottom of the plates. The manual plate is also a tad bit thicker than the auto plate.

Now, again, just for reference and fun, the auto plate basically fell out from behind the flexplate when I flexed it off the dowel pins. Thsi sint the case with the manual on. Having the open dowel holes, one woudl think it woud slide out from behind the flywheel in the same fashion. Nope. And I learned this cause I installed the flywheel, and then tried to install the block off plate. It will slide behind the flywheel, but I had to clearance 2 small sections at the dowel holes. Maybe 1/16" on either side.

Lucky for me, on a recent pull a part visit, I gathered some actual flywheel bolts. As you can see, they are quite different than the flexplate bolts.

Flexplate on the left, flywheel on the right.

I also gathered some pressure plate bolts on the trip, but apparently I only gathered 5, and 6 are required.:annoyed:

So I figured I'd go ahead and mount my slave on the trans. Not a big deal, but one thing less to do later. No dice, the slave bolts that came from the earlier "FM146" style slave are too short for the newer slave.:annoyed:

Thats where I had to call it a day.

kemicalburns

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wasnt trying to piss on your parade LOL.

that tranny i know barely holds up to a stock F150 or full size bronco with a 300-6 or 5.0
i just didnt understand the going that route since it has such weak internals. and just because ford used it for many years doesnt mean its a good product. :thefinger:

its an awesome build so please dont take my comments as slander haha

Last edited:

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
Well, its only got a 4.0 in it.

Appology accepted. Welcome to my thread!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Thats where I had to call it a day.
Come on you lazy a$$, get with the f%@&*n program you fat b@$#h!!!!, you keep calling it a day and you'll never get it done!! What a f'n loser!!!:icon_rofl:
Hey, I gotta give you some encouragement:thefinger: Keep it up Chris, looking good man:icon_thumby:
SVT

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
Pull-A-Part would have been closed by the time I got there...it was 4:45 when I stopped. I'll get it in tomorrow! Just need some bolts!

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Why do they always close at 5:00pm? If im lucky i can stay after that with permission. I know one that isn't open on saturdays. Thats about the stupidest thing plus we drove up there and found this out, like an hour drive up there for me. Finally got a phone number to help me out with that problem.

Why is there a differencr between the bolts? Is there a difference in strenght, or is it just length?

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
Why is there a differencr between the bolts? Is there a difference in strenght, or is it just length?
Head thickness and length.

If you look, the auto bolts have a thicker head on them, and it looks to me like they would rub the input shaft of the manual tranny.

I cant say for positive, but I'm sure Alan D can

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I just relized something....you use a FRAM filter too!!!!!

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
Just a quick pic to show the burly ass u-bolts I picked up today from B'ham spring. Compared to the stock 8.8 u-bolt.

Now to find some 1/4" plate to make the u-bolt plates out of, and I can mount the rear axle!!!

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I can't figure out why you would need u-bolts with the way you have the axle setup. Care to elaborate?

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the u-bolts hold the axle to the leaf spring
Yup, I knew that. I had this thread mixed up with the Custom Explorer Chassie build.

Taragon

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and D60's F&R
Transmission
Manual
Mjonesjr...

I was afraid I didnt understand your question!! :icon_twisted: I had to go back and look at my pics and see if there was a reason why you would be asking that question!!

:icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals