• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

quick 4.0 exhaust question

mconn116

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey yall just got a 97 ranger with the 4.0 which i think makes it the ohv, correct me if I'm wrong though. Anyways I hate how quite the stock exhaust I know it wont sound like a v8 but want a little more sound, my question is about which exhaust yall think would be best, i know its my decision but want your opinions on how which set up would sound. The options im lookin at now all start with just unbolt the factory catback at the flange after the 2nd cat. Now im trying to decided whether to do another y pipe after that with dual 2.5" pipes (no mufflers) or dual 2.25" pipes (also no mufflers) another option is after the flange running a little 2.5" pipe into a flowmaster muffler with single 2.5" inlet and dual 2.25" outlets, or would it be better to do a 2.25" pipe after the flange into a flowmaster with single 2.25" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets, im looking for a deeper aggresive sound but still want it to be loud, im so used to just doing straight pipes on my trucks but not sure how it would be with the v6, any thoughts/opinions and information yall can give me would be appreciated, thanks again and sorry for the long post just trying to be thorough

Last edited:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Look on Youtube, there are tons of short videos with different set-ups that should help you get a good idea of what you want.

mconn116

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah been lookin around and pretty much decided the si/do muffler is the way i want to go, im thinking ill probably just get a si/do single chamber flowmaster knock off with 2.5" inlet and dual 2.25" outlets, seems like that will give me close to the sound i want, now just need to decide if i want to go with a single chamber muffler or 2 chamber

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
yeah been lookin around and pretty much decided the si/do muffler is the way i want to go, im thinking ill probably just get a si/do single chamber flowmaster knock off with 2.5" inlet and dual 2.25" outlets, seems like that will give me close to the sound i want, now just need to decide if i want to go with a single chamber muffler or 2 chamber
I just unbolted the pipes after the 2nd cat on my 93 explorer for now, since the piping after that is all rusted out. But eventually I'm going with dual like you are. I already have a Cherry Bomb Extreme single in/dual out muffler I'm gonna use. I would go 2.25 for the pipes going all the way out the back though, so you still have some backpressure. and if you like the "look" of big pipes coming out the back, throw on some 3 inch tips. I had a 97 2.3 Ranger that I had Y-piped after a universal Magnaflow cat into 2.25 inch pipes straight piped out the back, and boy did that thing pop, I loved it, wish I woulda took that exhaust off and kept it for my Explorer...woulda sounded mean on a 4.0 compared to a 2.3 probably

mconn116

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah i unbolted the stock catback today just to see how it sounded, it was ok not exactly what im lookin for though, maybe it would sound better with some dual pipes after that and some tips but i think im going to just throw on a single chamber "flowmaster" and see how it sounds, anyone know the size of the piping through the cats and after the second cat before the flange? its rainy and cold now so not really wantin to go check haha

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i agree on the 2 chamber,

but on a 4.0 the single chamber doesnt sound terrible actually.

but x's 2 on the flowmaster 44 or the delta 40

mconn116

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the insight, im real new to the whole v6 thing, i know on my old f150 i had a single chamber on for a little bit and it sounded good, on the v6 i wasnt sure though ill definatly check into the 2 chamber though, im trying to get away with using one of the knock off flowmasters, the "flowsound" off of ebay they got the 2 chambers too though ill try that instead, if im not happy with it i can always change it! and thanks for the info on the pipes thats what i needed to know, that way i can run my 2.5" inlet and ill have 2.5" all the way to the muffler then have the dual 2.25" outlets should sound pretty good

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
LT265/75/R16
Definately look into Borla Exhaust systems. Million mile warranty, stainless steel finish and a sound you can't beat!

mconn116

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haven't looked into borla for the rangers i know borla is usually real pricey, and usually doesn't give the sound I'm lookin for, the only borla system Ive ever liked is the stinger on the mustangs

mconn116

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
for now just got a flowsound 2 chamber off of ebay, from what i can tell its comprable to a 40 series flowmaster, 2.5" inlet dual 2.25" outlets, right now i jsut ran a little pipe after the cats so the muffler is just behind the cab and have just the muffler soon ill have an exhaust shop finish it with duals out the back, as for the sound though i really like it, not as deep and aggresive as im used to with my v8s but definatly a deep rumble and pretty aggresive for a v6 and not overly loud but definatly loud enough to hear it, its perfect and i think itll sound great once its finished out the back with 3" tips

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals