• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Restoring the old Eight Nine Stang

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
That is a really nice looking interior already, whats the plan?

I have been thinking about keeping an eye out for one of those to play with...
It needs carpet. My center console also has a crack in it by the power mirror switch, and I have it's replacement already. The drivers seat has a tear (you can see it in the pic). So, I am going to reupholster the seats. I actually have a set my buddy gave me out of his 90 I might use those instead, but still reupholster them. The 87-89 GT's have a piece that pulls out for the back of your knees to rest on. All it really does is make a spot for dirt and lint to collect. I would take seats out of an 85-86 GT over anything though.

They are very fun cars to own. I've owned three (this is the second one I bought) and had loads of fun in them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It needs carpet. My center console also has a crack in it by the power mirror switch, and I have it's replacement already. The drivers seat has a tear (you can see it in the pic). So, I am going to reupholster the seats. I actually have a set my buddy gave me out of his 90 I might use those instead, but still reupholster them. The 87-89 GT's have a piece that pulls out for the back of your knees to rest on. All it really does is make a spot for dirt and lint to collect. I would take seats out of an 85-86 GT over anything though.

They are very fun cars to own. I've owned three (this is the second one I bought) and had loads of fun in them.
I am glad it is just little stuff like that instead of rip it all out and spray paint half of it white or something. :D

I noticed the torn seat and it discounted my theory that was a sliding out of a truck thing.

Right now I am thinking of an '86, they don't have the eggcrate grille of the earlier ones, would have EFI and doesn't have all the molding that is usually about ready to fall of the car like the newer ones. I really like the aviation style dash too. :D

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I am glad it is just little stuff like that instead of rip it all out and spray paint half of it white or something. :D

I noticed the torn seat and it discounted my theory that was a sliding out of a truck thing.

Right now I am thinking of an '86, they don't have the eggcrate grille of the earlier ones, would have EFI and doesn't have all the molding that is usually about ready to fall of the car like the newer ones. I really like the aviation style dash too. :D
I know what you mean. There are times I wish I would have kept my 86 instead of my 89. The 85 and 86 GT's just look mean. I can't remember if I've posted a pic of it before, but this is at a Mustang show about 13 years ago. I took first place in the 79-86 class. These wheels are actually on my 89 now.

And this is my 85 GT:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know what you mean. There are times I wish I would have kept my 86 instead of my 89. The 85 and 86 GT's just look mean. I can't remember if I've posted a pic of it before, but this is at a Mustang show about 13 years ago. I took first place in the 79-86 class. These wheels are actually on my 89 now.

And this is my 85 GT:
I don't know if I would take an '85-86 over your '89 though... it is very clean. Most like that around here are not.

Basically it is going to come down to what I happen apoun when I have the money, since I am buying a house it is probably a ways off.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I took the Stang to the local car show last night. I had some guy just combing this thing over. He asked me a few times if I'd sell it, and I kept telling him no. My friends Dad told him "he'll never sell this thing, he's had it since he was 19". So he asked me to pop the hood (it was dirty, so I left it down). I open the hood, and then he starts giving me a list of things that have been done to it - as if I didn't know already. Then he tells me my fuel rail is off of an 88. Uh, no, it's an 89 and it's factory (AFAIK there is no difference anyway).

After all of his questions and telling me what I had done to it, he asked the final question before his "offer". He asked me what I paid for it. I told him $4200. Then he says "I'll give you 5 grand right now". Dude..... serious? Five thousand? Not only no, but hell no.

Here are some photos I took if anyone is interested in seeing what shows up to our shows: http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131983

Just a side note.... the guy that painted my car also did the yellow T-Bucket in the background here:

Last edited:

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Nice, Shane. Happy birthday, by the way.

Every time I look at your thread, it guilts me that much closer to painting my black 92' vert.

Hey, would you know where I can find a driver side exterior trim moulding? I don't want to pay Ford $400 for just that... (No luck at any of the scrap yards or Craigslist.)

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Nice, Shane. Happy birthday, by the way.

Every time I look at your thread, it guilts me that much closer to painting my black 92' vert.

Hey, would you know where I can find a driver side exterior trim moulding? I don't want to pay Ford $400 for just that... (No luck at any of the scrap yards or Craigslist.)
Thank you.

Yours is a GT right? And I assume you mean the one that is on the bottom of the door? I think I might have one if so. I got mine new from LRS for about $125 for both sides.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I went outside and the one I have is the drivers side. It's not in the best of shape, which is why I bought brand new. That said though, I know for a fact the guy who painted me car could have made it just as nice as the new ones.

Here's a pic of what I have:

Comparison with the molding I got from LRS ( www.50resto.com ). Also a good representation of how the molding looks up close.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
These are the new metal handles I put on it when it was painted. The factory door handles are plastic and break easily.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Yup, mine looks exactly like that, too (and it IS a GT). It started peeling away from the front of the door (near fender) and just got fubar-ed ever since. I actually tried to bend it back, but I think I messed it up even more by elongating it somehow.

I've had to switch out my door handles a few years back for metal ones from O'Reilly's because they broke, just just for aesthetics.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to take advantage of it.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-20939B/87-93-Mustang-Gt-Cobra-Lh-Door-Body-Side-Molding

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It started peeling away from the front of the door (near fender)....../QUOTE]

Mine did the same thing. When it was cold outside, I used to have to push on the molding to make it clear the fender to open the door. Huge PITA. In fact, it even damaged my fender a bit, and had to be bent back out when it got painted.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Well, I took her in for safety and emissions today. I got there just as they opened. All of the guys were busy preparing to open, and when they saw my car every last one if them quit what they were doing, and I held a one entrant car show. Everyone asking questions. I told the guy I had rebuilt the entire front end a couple years ago... he didn't even check it, LOL. Anyway, for the first time ever it failed emissions..... for a gas cap. So I ran around the corner to Autozone for a new cap, and she is golden. I just have to go back to the DMV for my sticker.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I'm going to start exploring the option of a manual steering rack. I just put this SOB in and it appears to be leaking out of a boot. Plus the boots are all deformed for some reason. I'll try to snap some pics later today.

Also am going to eliminate the A/C compressor at the same time, so I need to have some type of a pulley over there. ***head scratch***

F8LBITE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just stumbled across this thread and spent what seemed like most of the day reading from page 1 to current. And I'll say this.

Nice Mustang!:icon_thumby:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Just stumbled across this thread and spent what seemed like most of the day reading from page 1 to current. And I'll say this.

Nice Mustang!:icon_thumby:

Thank you very much, I appreciate you reading all of this. I really enjoy this little thing. I can't believe how often I get asked if I want to sell it, or just a compliment. Seems like everyone "always wanted one of these" when they stop me about it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals