• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Restoring the old Eight Nine Stang

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad to see this project still moving.

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My buddy that I haven't seen in about 10 years sent me a text message today: "Hey man, are you interested in some seats out of my 92 GT?". Hell yes I am!

So, I traded him my old rear bumper cover for this set:
be sweet to get these recovered in leather

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I would love that as well. I had plans of completing the interior this year, but I am going to fall short on time (and money). I just got all the medical bills and between my wife and daughters emergency surgeries, I'm tapped out to the tune of 6 grand I gotta pay.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

Capriman86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Look great!!! Lots of hard work but it clearly has paid off!

I'll give ya $5,001 for it...lol

My first love is fox's too as I have 3 myself :)

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Look great!!! Lots of hard work but it clearly has paid off!

I'll give ya $5,001 for it...lol

My first love is fox's too as I have 3 myself :)
Hey thanks! I have a buddy who is a huge Capri fan. He likes the extra room for tires, LOL. I like them too, minus the bubble hatch. I would love an 86 RS. I have been tempted to buy another Fox Notch on occasion. Then I remember I'm not done with the one I've got, haha.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
I'm going to start exploring the option of a manual steering rack. I just put this SOB in and it appears to be leaking out of a boot. Plus the boots are all deformed for some reason. I'll try to snap some pics later today.

Also am going to eliminate the A/C compressor at the same time, so I need to have some type of a pulley over there. ***head scratch***
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/ASP-028200/82-93-Mustang-50L-Billet-Aluminum-Air-Conditioner-A-C-Delete-Eliminator-Pulley

Before this recent motor swap, I ran a shorter belt to bypass the smog pump. Seeing as how you can't do this with the alternator since there will be interference between adjacent pulleys and different stresses, the above is the best option. Here in Texas, I gotta have the A/C.

I would love that as well. I had plans of completing the interior this year, but I am going to fall short on time (and money). I just got all the medical bills and between my wife and daughters emergency surgeries, I'm tapped out to the tune of 6 grand I gotta pay.
I used to love the leather, but it doesn't breathe and it retains heat like no other. It stays too hot for too long, and of course there is the burning, sticking, and leather treating as well (though it is only done once a year). I would rather have cloth, but for an occasional driver or a cooler weather car, this is fine. These are just my complaints.

My advice, if you are for sure going to get them rewrapped, is to get perforated leather in at least the center portion, if not the whole thing. I still think it looks great, but it breathes, is just as comfortable, and clean-able. My motorcycle jackets are all perforated, and I would have it no other way. :icon_thumby:

Ha! Another one caught by the sneaky hands of the gas cap!

Shane! Really, I would love a Flaming River steering rack. Close ratio, better feel, and still easy to turn. That's probably the best one & well-known around. I replaced my entire rack with an OReilly unit 2 years ago, and although it is factory and easy to operate again without leaking fluids, I would have preferred to go with the manual rack. You also rid your Fox of tht Ford power steering whine!

Peter

Last edited:

Capriman86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey thanks! I have a buddy who is a huge Capri fan. He likes the extra room for tires, LOL. I like them too, minus the bubble hatch. I would love an 86 RS. I have been tempted to buy another Fox Notch on occasion. Then I remember I'm not done with the one I've got, haha.

That is a misconception with Capri's, we have the same wheel room at the mustang, the outer design gives it that "wide" look but the edge of the wheel lip is in the exact same spot, no "extra room" on them.

Yeah the bubble is a love it hate it relationship, I love it as its not common, you don't see it on every mustang so it makes it that much more special in my opinion. As long as you put on an ASC Mclaren wing, that is what brings the bubble to life.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Nice looking Capri! I really like those wheels. Who makes those? Four lug wheels are getting harder to find (that I like). I assume they are 17X10? Did you have to roll the lip in the rear fender at all?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/ASP-028200/82-93-Mustang-50L-Billet-Aluminum-Air-Conditioner-A-C-Delete-Eliminator-Pulley

Before this recent motor swap, I ran a shorter belt to bypass the smog pump. Seeing as how you can't do this with the alternator since there will be interference between adjacent pulleys and different stresses, the above is the best option. Here in Texas, I gotta have the A/C.

I used to love the leather, but it doesn't breathe and it retains heat like no other. It stays too hot for too long, and of course there is the burning, sticking, and leather treating as well (though it is only done once a year). I would rather have cloth, but for an occasional driver or a cooler weather car, this is fine. These are just my complaints.

My advice, if you are for sure going to get them rewrapped, is to get perforated leather in at least the center portion, if not the whole thing. I still think it looks great, but it breathes, is just as comfortable, and clean-able. My motorcycle jackets are all perforated, and I would have it no other way. :icon_thumby:

Ha! Another one caught by the sneaky hands of the gas cap!

Shane! Really, I would love a Flaming River steering rack. Close ratio, better feel, and still easy to turn. That's probably the best one & well-known around. I replaced my entire rack with an OReilly unit 2 years ago, and although it is factory and easy to operate again without leaking fluids, I would have preferred to go with the manual rack. You also rid your Fox of tht Ford power steering whine!

Peter
I want a factory look for the pulley, but I'll do something like that pulley if I can't find anything I like. I've researched a bit and can see some of the older fox's came with manual steering. I'll for sure post up what I do here. I can't see myself spending in the ballpark of $300 for the Flaming River rack though. I have read some comments by guys with the FR rack that say it turns rather easily for having no power steering.

I've had leather twice. My Cadillac, and my Mountaineer. Both had the ventilation you speak of. Thanks for the advice on that.

Capriman86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nice looking Capri! I really like those wheels. Who makes those? Four lug wheels are getting harder to find (that I like). I assume they are 17X10? Did you have to roll the lip in the rear fender at all?
Thanks!

They are ROH Snyper's and discontinued now.
They are 17x9 and 17x8, no fender lip rolling.
I have 255's out back.

I agree, its hard to find nice 4 lug wheels, I am not usually a fan of 4 lug wheels on a 5 star pattern, especially cobra R's but these don't look to bad as the lug holes don't interfere with the spokes themselves. I am not ready to take the 5 lug plunge yet.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Thanks!

They are ROH Snyper's and discontinued now.
They are 17x9 and 17x8, no fender lip rolling.
I have 255's out back.

I agree, its hard to find nice 4 lug wheels, I am not usually a fan of 4 lug wheels on a 5 star pattern, especially cobra R's but these don't look to bad as the lug holes don't interfere with the spokes themselves. I am not ready to take the 5 lug plunge yet.
I was actually going to ask if they were ROH's. Been a huge fan of their wheels for years. A guy in our local Mustang group had them on his 93, and they were quite similar in looks to the Impala SS wheels ROH did for GM. Dang beautiful wheels, and they went very well with his red paint.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I have a couple of things that may be useful to some of you. I have a T5 rebuild guide in PDF form. If any of you need it, PM me and I'll get it to you.

Also a belt routing and length guide:

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"

Do you know how many times I went to O'Reillys to get the right length belt after S/P delete? (Ok, really, 3, but only because I kept going with the "closest one they had in stock.")

I don't a T-5 rebuild in my future since they are nearly bulletproof, but I wouldn't mind having a copy. 1.) Where did you source it? 2.) Are there any special tools for aligning the shafts or anything like that needed?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I don't a T-5 rebuild in my future since they are nearly bulletproof, but I wouldn't mind having a copy. 1.) Where did you source it? 2.) Are there any special tools for aligning the shafts or anything like that needed?
I got it from Driveline Source I believe. PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. I tried to just attach it to my post, but it's a whopping 2 megabytes - so it exceeded the size. I don't know if any special tools are needed - I can't see any mention of special tools, but I just skimmed it over.

EDIT: I also intended to watch my buddy build mine, but he had it done in a couple hours. It still shifted pretty good in lower RPM's - but after over 180,000 miles of abuse it needed some lovin'.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals