• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Softer front end after TT?

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
After my 2" TT the front end of my truck is bit on the stiff side. I understand why that is but I'm wondering if anything can be done about it.

I should be able to find a softer shock I think? Maybe I need to change my torsion bars?

I know other people have the same issue, I'm wondering if anyone has been able to do anything about it.

Truck deets are in my sig below..

SAS is on the list but I've got a few years of warranty left before I really start hacking on this truck....

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
Its not that the truck has gotten stiff, it that the truck no longer has as much down travel.There for the truck will tend to skip over stuff rather than the suspenstion droping down

07rangersport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
with a 2" crank you have probably maxed them bars out. Of course they are gunna ride rough, they are at max preload. the only thing I can say is decrank them. My truck rides better after a mild crank.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, so that helps to know that what I'm experiencing is a lack of downtravel...

Maybe I'm missing something here but shouldn't I be able to get a longer travel shock to compensate for that?

I hate this set-up.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Shocks won't help. The truck droops the little bit that it can then, you're up against your bumpstops (if it has them.) That's why it's so harsh.

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Yes....longer shocks will help. Need proof of this? Remove the top nut on the shock and jack the truck up. You'll notice that the shock (not sure if all aftermarket replacements are exactly the same length as stock) is too short for a 2" TT. You can add spacers to the stock studs (since they’re like 1.5-2" long anyway) to gain a little bit of downtravel if your on a budget, but this should only be used temporarily. Around a 1" longer shock should be sufficient. This will help it to ride somewhat better, but its still going to ride stiffer than a stock truck. As other said, if you have if cranked too far, the only thing that will help to alleviate the problem would be to use drop brackets to lower the lower control arms and longer steering knuckles to address upper control arm angles, and last but not least, torsion bar drop brackets....but your also looking at a pretty hefty price tag.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You risk overextending the CV joints by running longer shocks.

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
when i talked to camburg they told me that ther 4x4 upgrade kit allows 1,0 inches more down travel with a 2'' max torsion crank on 98+ trucks. they sell it for like 600$ and give you 7100's shock mounts and straps. i know another guy did a homebrew setup with 7100's and neted 1/2'' extra travel. camburg said the cv's could tolerate 15* deflection angles. i measured my 08 fx4's and with them max cranked for about 2'' of lift im at 10*. i would measure your cv's and see what your deflection angle is before adding any longer shocks.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
To measure the deflection is that just the defelction of stub vs axle? If I can dig an angle finder I'll check it tomorrow...

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Im running some spacers on the top of the shock studs on the sport trac. I did a 2" crank and it didnt have any downtravel. After adding the spacers, I rides better and the cv angles arnt at any extreme angles. Theres your first hand experience. But to each their own...

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Im running some spacers on the top of the shock studs on the sport trac. I did a 2" crank and it didnt have any downtravel. After adding the spacers, I rides better and the cv angles arnt at any extreme angles. Theres your first hand experience. But to each their own...
What angle are your CV shafts at reletive to your outer stubs? Do you have any pictures? I'm not doubting you, I just want to see proof.

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i plan on fully testing this 15* angle camburg says is the magic number. im going to jack my truck up and strap it at 15* dead even so i maximize my suspension. im barely hitting 12* right now so i should be good for another inch by my calculating. i can get pictures with the angle finder

badbronc92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
how much are spacers and who makes a longer shock? Most of them (Rancho/Bil's/ProComps) Say for 0" of lift only.How are you measuring the CV angles?

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
You must have misunderstood me...nobody MAKES spacers. I removed the washer/bushing from the top of the shock stud and simply took a large nut (say 1/2") with a washer on top of it, then reinstalled the washer/bushing set. This basically gave me almost 1" of extra travel.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
when i talked to camburg they told me that ther 4x4 upgrade kit allows 1,0 inches more down travel with a 2'' max torsion crank on 98+ trucks. they sell it for like 600$ and give you 7100's shock mounts and straps.
Crapload of money for not a lot of lift. JMHO.
Just do a 1.5" crank and add a body lift for $300 if you want more.
With an IFS you're limited by the geometry to how much you can lift.
Even the 4" Superlift kit, all it really does is lower the entire front suspension and doesn't increase travel much if at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals