• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Soooo, i'm thinking of getting a rifle.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
+1. It'll damn sure kill feral hogs, it's cheap to feed too. Feral hogs are so spooky that I'd go with something you could shoot a couple of hundred yards out with accuracy. Unless they're coming to a deer feeder, baited road or something, they always seem to be moving away.
They are spooky and closest relatives to bears genus wise. We have monster game up here its not the little 200 lb black bears, and stuff. Out in the bush you can have a pissed off 900+ lb coastal brownie or grizz come out of nowhere and good luck with that rifle. I carried my rifle plus the mossberg 500 tactical with slugs for years as a bear stopper but not anymore. I shoot with a 7mm, 300 weatherby or .338 for game and the for close in bear attacks this is the ticket. A .454 Casull baby.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hear you bro, not arguing. We don't have grizzleys in TX though. I've got a 700 BDL in .243 that will take any of the pigs you see out if you shoot them in the ear.

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
because the way in which an M1 jams, due to being clip fed vs magazine fed, allows the firing pin to strike the primer even when the bullet doesn't enter the firing chamber, it's a design defect made worse by poor care, and it's the reason a lot of people have modified their target shooting M1s to fire a single bullet before reload.

it can jam and fire simultaneously and in some cases cause the entire receiver assembly to come apart explosively.
That has to be one of the biggest loads of crap i've ever heard. M1's rarely jam. It's easy to jam your thumb in the action when trying to load the clip improperly, but the gun is very hard to jam, unless you shooting garbage ammunition, or overpowered ammunition (bending the operating rod). Also an issue may be if you never clean the gas cylinder, or never clean the gun after using surplus corrosive ammo.

I know several M1 nuts, including two armorers who used to build them day in and day out. Never heard of a design defect of any sort as you've described. Most target shooters modify their rifles to shoot single rounds (basically buying the single or three round match clips), usually because it is a match that allows single shots only, and loading a specially designed single round clip in the gun is easier than loading a single round into the gun using a standard garand clip.

A garand is a great choice for a rifle, and many a person will swear (and have sworn) their lives to it...but you must learn the rifle... If you hardly ever shoot it, and have the occasional issue loading it, it's not a good idea in a home defense situation. If you for some reason start having issues trying to load it, right when you need the gun the most....it's going to cause problems.

With that said, If you spent $1k on a garand...you can get yourself a pretty darn nice one. And you'll still be a couple hudred dollars in the green compared to an M1A/M14. Just be careful what you feed it. :icon_thumby:

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
+1,I have a garand and never have had a problem with it.As with anything take of it and it will take care of you.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That has to be one of the biggest loads of crap i've ever heard. M1's rarely jam. It's easy to jam your thumb in the action when trying to load the clip improperly, but the gun is very hard to jam, unless you shooting garbage ammunition, or overpowered ammunition (bending the operating rod). Also an issue may be if you never clean the gas cylinder, or never clean the gun after using surplus corrosive ammo.

I know several M1 nuts, including two armorers who used to build them day in and day out. Never heard of a design defect of any sort as you've described. Most target shooters modify their rifles to shoot single rounds (basically buying the single or three round match clips), usually because it is a match that allows single shots only, and loading a specially designed single round clip in the gun is easier than loading a single round into the gun using a standard garand clip.

A garand is a great choice for a rifle, and many a person will swear (and have sworn) their lives to it...but you must learn the rifle... If you hardly ever shoot it, and have the occasional issue loading it, it's not a good idea in a home defense situation. If you for some reason start having issues trying to load it, right when you need the gun the most....it's going to cause problems.

With that said, If you spent $1k on a garand...you can get yourself a pretty darn nice one. And you'll still be a couple hudred dollars in the green compared to an M1A/M14. Just be careful what you feed it. :icon_thumby:
i'm just going by what my 'gun person' was telling me, in advocating buying an M14 instead.

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
I have two of them. One is a National Match rifle with a serial number from 1944, but a lmr barrel from 53...it's a beauty. The other is from 1944 also, also has a 53 dated barrel but is an S.A....and that rifle has seen some extreme combat. I shoot them pretty regularly, and neither have issues with jams or...well...any issues at all.

Well I take that back....every once in a while, my NM garand has issues when I try to put the trigger group assembly back in the stock during reassembly. That trigger guard sometimes takes a tap or two with a mallet to lock back in. That's the only issue I've ever had. Lol.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have two of them. One is a National Match rifle with a serial number from 1944, but a lmr barrel from 53...it's a beauty. The other is from 1944 also, also has a 53 dated barrel but is an S.A....and that rifle has seen some extreme combat. I shoot them pretty regularly, and neither have issues with jams or...well...any issues at all.

Well I take that back....every once in a while, my NM garand has issues when I try to put the trigger group assembly back in the stock during reassembly. That trigger guard sometimes takes a tap or two with a mallet to lock back in. That's the only issue I've ever had. Lol.
is an M1 something my local gun shop is going to be able to aquire for me or will i need to wait for a gun show/internet order?

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
is an M1 something my local gun shop is going to be able to aquire for me or will i need to wait for a gun show/internet order?
There was literally millions of the rifles made in WW2. There's still plenty out there, just have to find a nice one. Any decent gun shop may have a few on hand, and should have absolutely no problem getting one for you. You shouldn't have any issues getting one quickly. If they got one there that you like, you could take it home the same day...once you do the paperwork and background check. Start looking around to see what's out there. :icon_thumby:

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Exactly... Do you live in a communist state (Ex: California, New York, Illinois, etc.) or a free state (Texas, Nebraska, Arizona, etc.)?
You can buy any rifle you want in NY. Just an FYI for those uniformed people wanting to bash it.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There was literally millions of the rifles made in WW2. There's still plenty out there, just have to find a nice one. Any decent gun shop may have a few on hand, and should have absolutely no problem getting one for you. You shouldn't have any issues getting one quickly. If they got one there that you like, you could take it home the same day...once you do the paperwork and background check. Start looking around to see what's out there. :icon_thumby:
Still gotta check them out though. People love to patch them together and play them up to try to get top dollar out of them.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

They must have done some good work over the last 60 years since my gramps said his M1 jammed alot in WWII. Along with his entire unit.

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
Still gotta check them out though. People love to patch them together and play them up to try to get top dollar out of them.
Yes! And that is probably one of the most important things about garands. Have a certified gun smith take a few minutes and run through it. Check headspacing, throat erosion, muzzle crown, and all the typical garand things (the smith will know). If you don't, you may be buying a polished turd.

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
They must have done some good work over the last 60 years since my gramps said his M1 jammed alot in WWII. Along with his entire unit.
That wouldn't surprise me so much when in combat. They probably had little time for cleaning, if any time at all. Just think of all the dirt, mud, and crud that those guns got covered in... Not to mention the hundreds, if not thousands of rounds, fired between cleanings... Ammunition was corrosive back then, and required the weapons to be cleaned frequently to prevent corrosion. When you get a buildup of powder residue and fouling, combined with corrosion blocking the gas port in the barrel or gumming up the gas cylinder...it most likely going to jam, because that affects the gas flow that is required to unlock and opperate the bolt.

The normal shooter, even if they hardly ever clean the rifle, will rarely experience any sort of jam. Shooting corrosive ammo, or being in combat, can change that pretty quickly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals