• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Supercharger

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
ALright, i know im crazy for thinking this. But, ive seen a couple of pictures of truck and BII's for sale that were 2.9's with a supercharger. Does anyone know what supercharger this is and what all needs to be done. Dont know if i will actually do it, but i am curious all the same. Thanks,
Shawn

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've seen a kit that claimed to be a 2.9L S/C, but it didn't look like it would work well (if at all).

Depending on how much boost you want makes the difference on what you need to do.

One thing you need to take into consideration is that most S/Cs are serpentine belt driven.

Another thing is that this engine is old, out dated, and there is hardly any aftermarket support.

It's possible to get just a roots like a M90, weld up a bracket/mount that funnels the air into the upper, run it along side of the engine, and relocate the alternator. This would be the most simplistic.

I was close to having my brother mill out a 2 piece adapter plate for me that I designed for a S/C on this motor that bolted to the lower, but changed mid stream for a 5.0L. And yes, I would have needed to cut a hole in the hood for clearance. Had a lot of plans for it, but ultimately determined that it wasn't for me.

Pete

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Thats interesting. I am intrigued, its either this or swapping for a 2.3 turbo. Im not huge into offroading, so i dont think a 2.3t engine would be strained, except for running 33's. Only thing keeping me from making the swap is the fact that im not really sure what would need to be done as far as harnesses and what not. Yet these are all things that can be researched. Also, i just replaced my 2.9 and it only has 3,100 miles on it.

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
M-90's came on what? Supercoupes?

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
i cant seem to figure out how your 2 piece bracket bolting to the lower would work, what do you do with the upper, etc.? thanks for the help.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i cant seem to figure out how your 2 piece bracket bolting to the lower would work, what do you do with the upper, etc.? thanks for the help.
Tire size is only an issue if you have bad gearing for it.

The one I had was from a '01 Nissan Xterra. It's custom, it doesn't matter where it comes from. You're the one making it work. Do research and make your decision based on that.

There would be no upper.. I was planning on using the 5.0 TB with the IAC attached. IAT would go into the intake tubing. No EGR on the '88. Need to think outside of the box.

Was going to be controlled with a Mega Squirt.

Pete

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals