• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TBI to carbed 302

MaGiKaLsHoTs

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(01) / [94] / {
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
[3.0L] | (4.0L) | {5.0L, sas 35 boggers}
Transmission
Automatic
is it possibly to go from a TBI to carbed? i looked at my block and the intake looks the same as the one i picked up off my old carbed block.... all in all it looks like all i gotta do is take a carb and throw it on?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If it has a tfi distributor you will have to do something about that or you will have no ignition advance.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The duraspark distributor with the gm module is the easiest route. Less wires and great performance

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
First thing is, Is your 302 a roller engine or not? If its a roller you need to use a distributor with a steel gear and if its a flat tappet cam you will need to use a dizzy with a cast gear. For a roller cam use the dizzy for a 85 Mustang GT with a Holley 4 barrel carb and for a flat tappet cam use one for a 84 Mustang GT. The easy way to wire it up with the least connections is to find a stock Ford duraspark box and harness as you will only to make two connections and the reast is just plug and play. There is no advantage to using a GM module and it is more a pain to use anyways. You will need to make a heatsink for it and mount it some where and then make up your own wires and if it dies then you are stuck unless you have tools to replace it right there. The Ford Duraspark is a much better deal as if it dies you just unplug the dead one and plug in a good one and go untill you find some tools to do it right. The other big advantage is the Ford duraspark box retards the timing while you are cranking the engine to make it start easier and it also saves the starter doing that. More pluses to the Ford stuff then the GM junk.....

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
if it is a stock tbi, its not roller...and likely a 255 and not a 302. if it says 4.2 under the hood of the donor you know its likely a 255.

a 2150 and a d spark for an 82 will work if its stock but you may want to open it up a bit.

MaGiKaLsHoTs

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(01) / [94] / {
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
its a stock tbi and its def a 302.. i looked up the block code and i beleive it said it came from like a 80's mustang

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I didn't think there was ever a TBI 302 in a mustang?

In 86 they switched from a carb to multiport injection.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I didn't think there was ever a TBI 302 in a mustang?

In 86 they switched from a carb to multiport injection.
Mustangs had TBI in '84/'85, somewhere around there, It was only automatic cars, maybe just convertible... Google would provide some info.

This is why when a Duraspark distributor is recommended for use with a roller cam, only the 1985 5speed Mustang 5.0 is the source.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
its a stock tbi and its def a 302.. i looked up the block code and i beleive it said it came from like a 80's mustang
There was only one specific block code for a Mustang 302. And that was the 69-70 Boss 302. All others had the same casting numbers everything else used.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
if it was from a 83 or newer stang its def a 302 and the best of the cfi engines. those were over 150 hp....so i guess its ok anyway for the time period..

There was only one specific block code for a Mustang 302. And that was the 69-70 Boss 302. All others had the same casting numbers everything else used.
i assumed he has an eec4 cfi, and not the eec3

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
First thing is, Is your 302 a roller engine or not? If its a roller you need to use a distributor with a steel gear and if its a flat tappet cam you will need to use a dizzy with a cast gear. For a roller cam use the dizzy for a 85 Mustang GT with a Holley 4 barrel carb and for a flat tappet cam use one for a 84 Mustang GT. The easy way to wire it up with the least connections is to find a stock Ford duraspark box and harness as you will only to make two connections and the reast is just plug and play. There is no advantage to using a GM module and it is more a pain to use anyways. You will need to make a heatsink for it and mount it some where and then make up your own wires and if it dies then you are stuck unless you have tools to replace it right there. The Ford Duraspark is a much better deal as if it dies you just unplug the dead one and plug in a good one and go untill you find some tools to do it right. The other big advantage is the Ford duraspark box retards the timing while you are cranking the engine to make it start easier and it also saves the starter doing that. More pluses to the Ford stuff then the GM junk.....
Isn't this the same exact problem? Unless you have a replacement you are stuck no matter which you use.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Isn't this the same exact problem? Unless you have a replacement you are stuck no matter which you use.
A JY DS module is cheap to test and throw behind the seat just in case. No tools required to make it go, and only a single wrench to change it.

Heck, I pulled and OEM Motorcraft one out of a JY in '04, kept it in my tool box until I durasparked my 2.8 in '07, and it still works fine.

Never been around HEI, but I haven't had a problem with DS yet to make me change.

MaGiKaLsHoTs

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(01) / [94] / {
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok i will post the block code later today.. im going down to work on it and ill look over it again... the guy i bought the motor off said it was a 302 out of either a mustang or crown vic or somthing like that.. around early 80's.. ill look again and post the block code

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok i will post the block code later today.. im going down to work on it and ill look over it again... the guy i bought the motor off said it was a 302 out of either a mustang or crown vic or somthing like that.. around early 80's.. ill look again and post the block code
The engineering code of mine that came out of a Crown Vic

E = 1980's
7 = 7th year of 1980's (1987)
T = Truck
E = Engine part

The 7 is the model year the thing was designed for, but like E7TE cylinder heads came out in '87 but were used well into the 90's... it isn't a for sure way to id something. They ran with that number until they changed something.

So don't plan on really nailing down what it is out of that way. You can get a hint of the year with it, maybe the make (Lincoln, Mercury...) the emissions sticker on the valve cover will tell you the year of emissions it met and what the displacement is. That is what to go by for what you actually have if it still has it. Variations in the front engine accessory drive might narrow it down too.

The engineering code thing is kind of a handy thing to catch onto, I could tell by the stickers on mine that it was later than the '84 it was advertised as. It even carried over to their tractor line too.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals