• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TDI Ranger Build

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
lol

the starter for the 6.2 is bigger then the 1.9....and has more hp then the 6.2 it starts:icon_rofl:

cold weather and winter fuel mix kill mpg. winter diesel needs additive where i am at, i run the ez-oil diesel aid, and powerservice for cetane boost. sometimes howes. i dont run much oil blend when its real cold if any.

Do you have local fuel quality issues? I haven't run additives for as long as I've owned my tdi (going on 9 years) since we get very good fuel quality in MN. My Jetta averages 52mpg in the summer months and dips down to 48 in Dec/Jan/Feb. I was super bummed to have the brakes drag when I put in the axle since the weather was going to ruin my mileage testing. That and we are likely to have a longer, colder winter than usual.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
lots of issues this year

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you dropped the front end a little bit, you think that would help with the mileage. I got the best mileage out of my stock 2.3 gas ranger with a full load in the cab and a empty bed. Have you changed the tune of the engine yet. I wonder how it will do with more hp and tq.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you dropped the front end a little bit, you think that would help with the mileage. I got the best mileage out of my stock 2.3 gas ranger with a full load in the cab and a empty bed. Have you changed the tune of the engine yet. I wonder how it will do with more hp and tq.
I really hope lowering it will do something. I've been running with an upgraded tune since the get go.

Let's see how these improve (or hurt) things :icon_thumby:

Since I'm out of fuel at the top end my first step is to add fuel and I'm doing this in the form of increased nozzle orifice size. I'll get a retune to pull back the fuel as these nozzles will flow way more fuel than my little vnt15 turbo can provide air. I'll redyno at the same place to see how this improves power....it'll definitely help torque.

Once I've done that I'll get going on installing the rest of this:

Here is quick overview of installing the new injectors/nozzles.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
so whats the overall opinion on this.?.?..

how would you compare it to a 4.0 truck?

i run into a few choices and am seriously considering this for the b2, i am having headgasket or crack issues with the ol 6.5 and will likely just swap in the spare 6.2 for now, but i really want to take the ranger off the road for a spell so i can put some time and money into it, and seeing as i have more time then money i want the b2 to be a long term runabout till i get the ol pig where i want it.

if a mechanical 1.9 can get between a 2.9 and 4.0 i will probably spend the money to do it.....otherwise i may just run a 5.3 in it or some other cost effective setup.. i cant get it past 15 mpg hiway as it sits with a 4.0 and manual trans and it can eat a disturbing amount of fuel in town....especially in 4x4. damn thing works very well besides being a wallet biter.

FilthySnipe

Reaction score
I have a 4.0 4x4 2003 and pay out the rear on gas as well. I thought about going the 4BT route also. I just don't know how it will affect resale. Who knows, it might actually sell better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

logman7777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you ever decide to market a kit I want to be on the list. Im almost at the point of buying a TDI Jetta and getting a Smyth Kit to turn it into a mini pickup so I can get acceptable mileage and utility in the same vehicle.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
so whats the overall opinion on this.?.?..

how would you compare it to a 4.0 truck?
I'm waiting until I have the new turbo in before I make a comparison between it and the 4.0. I actually have a b4000 sitting out in the driveway to compare it to once I get it to that point. :icon_thumby:.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 4.0 4x4 2003 and pay out the rear on gas as well. I thought about going the 4BT route also. I just don't know how it will affect resale. Who knows, it might actually sell better!
I guarantee you'll have better resale either way.

greengeeker

Firefighter
Reaction score
Engine Size
1.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you ever decide to market a kit I want to be on the list. Im almost at the point of buying a TDI Jetta and getting a Smyth Kit to turn it into a mini pickup so I can get acceptable mileage and utility in the same vehicle.
Interesting. I would bet you'd be able to get much better mileage than my Ranger based solely on aero. You of course wouldn't have the hauling capacity or the possibility of 4WD/AWD.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I'm waiting until I have the new turbo in before I make a comparison between it and the 4.0. I actually have a b4000 sitting out in the driveway to compare it to once I get it to that point. :icon_thumby:.
excellent....but i missed the boat on the tdi. there is a nice 4bt with a ford trans though....maybe i will try for a mitymax....seen a few of those on the ebealy.....

or just say fawk it and run the 6.2 in the ranger and let it continue rotting away at record speed...:D

logman7777

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Interesting. I would bet you'd be able to get much better mileage than my Ranger based solely on aero. You of course wouldn't have the hauling capacity or the possibility of 4WD/AWD.
True..The rear suspension in stock form is only good for 7-800 in payload but the kit does retain the ability to mount a receiver hitch so trailering larger things is still an option.

Prototype TDI 5 speeds have been getting in the 40's on average for mileage.

I still think your swap has more potential and will definitely be interested if you offer an adapter plate/kit in the future. :icon_thumby:

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
This wouldn't happen to mean you'll be offering a 4.0 4WD kit in the future, would it?

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
Running a garden trim front lip is ugly, but gets the job done too. With a front lip & tonneau I got +2mpg highway. 25mpg with a 2.5L 2wd, dropping down to 4th and keeping speed on all the hills.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Any updates? Don't leave us hanging, we want to know how much power it has.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals