• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tire pressure sensors

Truckedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This has probably been discussed many times but I'm new so bear with me...:D
I recently bought an 09 Ranger Sport 4x4 4.0 5 speed...The trucks has older 15 inch wheels and 255 tires that aren't the best...I have a set of new 235/75-16 unmounted tires and stock 16x7 steel wheels I got for what seemed like a good price..I let out the air out of an existing tire and the light went on, only the tire pressure light, I didn't start or drive the truck....
I hear so many stories on the tire pressure sensors....That the check engine light will also come on with no sensors ,just use inexpensive universal sensors etc...
I don't care if the pressure light is on but do not want to have the CEL on also..I see all sorts of sensors, band type, valve stem type and a device to fool the computer so no sensors are needed....
So what is the least expensive or best way to deal with the tire sensors? Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
CEL should not come on if TPMS light is activated by tire sensors, it is a separate system

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I would probably remove the tire pressure indicator bulb.
(or put a new label over it that says "passenger ejection imminent")

Mataroa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
That's a negative.

TPMS systems are on a different system entirely. That's why there's a whole bulb dedicated to TPMS, as to distinguish a tire issue from an engine issue.

If you run the truck without TPMS sensors, it'll run fine. The only catch is that the truck's going to show you its TPMS light because, as far as the truck knows, all of its tires are as flat as a piece of paper at 0 psi.

It doesn't sense any of its sensors, so it defaults to "There's a problem" while you and I know that there isn't a problem present.

So... Go for it. If you do, you'll just have to get used to seeing the tire light on as you drive.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Your existing sensors can also be moved to the new wheels without a ton of fuss, or expense.

09 should still have band-style sensors, so all you need to do is get a a set of bands for 16" wheels. Short-form number should be TPMS-6. Then you just install the new bands and cradles on your new wheels, move the sensors over, and slap some tires on.

I'm not a big fan of TPMS, but I hate having lights on all the time too.

Truckedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your existing sensors can also be moved to the new wheels without a ton of fuss, or expense.

09 should still have band-style sensors, so all you need to do is get a a set of bands for 16" wheels. Short-form number should be TPMS-6. Then you just install the new bands and cradles on your new wheels, move the sensors over, and slap some tires on.

I'm not a big fan of TPMS, but I hate having lights on all the time too.
I don't own a tire machine so the cost of taking four wheels/tires to crabby tire guys and breaking the bead is a factor and I would rather sell the wheels with tires mounted as is....
I live in NY and they plug the ORB2 vehicles into a computer once a year to check for emissions fault codes...What I don't want is the lack of TMPS triggering any sort of fault code...
I see both band type and valve stem types for sale. One new band without sensor is about 40 bucks...4 supposed new proper frequency valve stem sensors are 100-150 bucks...And i believe a $30 learning tol is also required for new TMPS sensors?
And for $80 you can buy a device that eliminate the TPMS light being on...I have no idea if any of this stuff will work as advertised..

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Cost of breaking a bead is $0 is you know what you are doing. All you need is the jack that came with the truck, and the truck itself.

The price on those bands really went up in the last few years though, last time I priced one they were less than $20.

As for needing a tool, if you take the truck somewhere to have the tires put on they should train the sensors as part of the job, no extra cost.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
No CEL will come on, totally separate. If you don’t care to have it just pull the bulb so you won’t have to look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truckedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I went to a local friendly tire store...The owner said the sensors are often troublesome, some worse than others...He also said that his liability is to use sensors if original equipment and he changes the tires with the car in his shop..But if the rim only are brought in, no problem...
I know how to break down and mount tires manually and have done it many times...And sometimes it doesn't work and the vehicle just goes up and the bead doesn't break...
Bottom line, I have the new steel rims, there will be no sensors based on what you guys say, thanks...

Truckedup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the new tires and wheels on the truck with no pressure senors...The light didn't com on after I left the tire shop....Opps, the other four mounted tires were in the bed..:icon_idea:

I took the tires out and my wife ran a few errands...She drove 12 miles to the store, no light. Then she drove to another store and the light came on and remained on for the rest of the trip...Today I drive 10 miles to pick up something.. No light..Started the truck and drove 10 miles home, no light...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals