• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tuning options for a 3.0

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Yep I have seen it, he has the whipple supercharger kit offered by ford performance. It would be nice to know what they did ECU tuning wise.
He isn't on here regularly, like some of the guys, but he pops in every now and then. Maybe your paths will cross. IDK if he is on Social Media, but IF I had a truck like his, it would have it's own IG account, lol

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
He isn't on here regularly, like some of the guys, but he pops in every now and then. Maybe your paths will cross. IDK if he is on Social Media, but IF I had a truck like his, it would have it's own IG account, lol
One of my goals is to get to a similar state like that with my truck. Our paths already crossed on a VSS failure thread just this morning.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Here's his thread, hasn't been driving the truck that much in the past handful of years it seems like.

What I read is He's been seeing 10lbs on an extremely conservative tune. That being said, seems like he's always had something else to drive in case the tops of his pistons decide to relocate into the sump.. which brings me back around to an unanswered question.. do YOU have something else to drive in case the racetruck breaks down? I see you say your a student, so your presumably young.. all I wanted to do when I was student age was drive around a modded hot rod.. which I did.. and being that it was my only vehicle at the time.. made life a complete nightmare. I've grown to know better.. so I seriously reccomend ensuring you have something reliable to scoot around in if your dead-set on doing this sort of thing to the ranger.. or learn the hard way.. some lessons ARE better taught that way.

Didnt this thread start with questions about increasing fuel efficiency by the way? Now we're on to blowers and 15psi 😋

I love how these things escalate all to hell haha. I don't mean to come off as a nay-saying negative Nancy here... just trying to talk realism.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back

Here's his thread, hasn't been driving the truck that much in the past handful of years it seems like.

What I read is He's been seeing 10lbs on an extremely conservative tune. That being said, seems like he's always had something else to drive in case the tops of his pistons decide to relocate into the sump.. which brings me back around to an unanswered question.. do YOU have something else to drive in case the racetruck breaks down? I see you say your a student, so your presumably young.. all I wanted to do when I was student age was drive around a modded hot rod.. which I did.. and being that it was my only vehicle at the time.. made life a complete nightmare. I've grown to know better.. so I seriously reccomend ensuring you have something reliable to scoot around in if your dead-set on doing this sort of thing to the ranger.. or learn the hard way.. some lessons ARE better taught that way.

Didnt this thread start with questions about increasing fuel efficiency by the way? Now we're on to blowers and 15psi 😋

I love how these things escalate all to hell haha. I don't mean to come off as a nay-saying negative Nancy here... just trying to talk realism.
Yeah I originally was only thinking about fuel efficiency in the Ranger because I have two other projects back at home. But I got tired of sitting around, and I have all of my tools at my campus anyway.

I already do a bunch of general maintenance in the back parking lot 😂 and working on the pavement isn't as bad as I first thought. A few of my friends rebuilt an M3 E46 in the woods behind a frat house, so handling a sh!tbox isn't a huge problem for us. I just get that itch to do something to a perfectly running vehicle and it sucks when you're stuck on a campus.

If I do go this route, I'll probably get a junkyard turbo (crack-free & in decent condition) and rebuild it with new bearings. Intercoolers can be had from Thunderbirds etc, and I will have to figure out the exhaust-side routing on my own, but shouldn't be terrible. Need to blow more money than I'd like on a reliable wastegate & BOV, but I do want a nice running setup that won't give me some BS on a Monday morning. Things will probably be fine anyway, I'm stuffing air into a boat anchor of an engine.

I've seen other guys on YouTube turbo their 3.0 Rangers, but I hold myself to higher standards of work. I'm not planning on doing a shoddy setup held together with duct tape and prayers; I hate ugly engine bays. Not planning on running anything near 15lbs either, I'm starting conservatively at 5lbs and probably won't go higher than 9 unless I can justify spending more money.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i wonder if a supercharger from a late 90s / early 2000s nissan frontier or xterra would be a good option for someone wanting to boost a 3.0? those nissans had a 3.3 v6 in them.

i say that because there is one on marketplace in san antonio for something like 100 bucks, if someone is looking for one to play with

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
i wonder if a supercharger from a late 90s / early 2000s nissan frontier or xterra would be a good option for someone wanting to boost a 3.0? those nissans had a 3.3 v6 in them.

i say that because there is one on marketplace in san antonio for something like 100 bucks, if someone is looking for one to play with
What kind is it? That would probably be a good size. Fabbing the intake is the hard part, in my opinion. I've got a project to build a supercharged 3.0l. But it's been on the back burner. Wish I could find the Whipple setup and have things a little easier.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
let me find the ad. i will put it here for you.

he has it for 220. i had the price wrong. i would offer 100 though as there are few and far between supercharged nissans left so no one is going to buy it from him. its already been listed for two weeks. and he is in the middle of nowhere. he will get very little, if any hits because of his location

1706727047702.png

googel says this about it

The Xterra actually came with a factory supercharger on some models. That supercharger is an Eaton M62 (with modified side intake port). The Bonneville also has an M62. The M62 is commonly regarded as too small for the VG33 (V6) in the Xterr

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

he has it for 220. i had the price wrong. i would offer 100 though as there are few and far between supercharged nissans left so no one is going to buy it from him. its already been listed for two weeks. and he is in the middle of nowhere. he will get very little, if any hits because of his location

View attachment 105361

The Xterra actually came with a factory supercharger on some models. That supercharger is an Eaton M62 (with modified side intake port). The Bonneville also has an M62. The M62 is commonly regarded as too small for the VG33 (V6) in the Xterr
If I go with Eaton, I was looking more towards the M90

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

View attachment 105361

I was going to mention that the Supercharged Nissans (SC Frontiers got 4 doors and a long bed, Xterra's are all the same layout SWB/4door ) are NOT much more powerful than their N/A siblings. I dont remember the exact numbers, i just remember being underwhelmed. Not sure if it's the SuperCharger's fault or the VG33's fault.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Its the 3.3. Its not a power house, at all. My 3.0 ranger feels like monster compared to my frontier

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
What kind is it? That would probably be a good size. Fabbing the intake is the hard part, in my opinion. I've got a project to build a supercharged 3.0l. But it's been on the back burner. Wish I could find the Whipple setup and have things a little easier.
Hmm, a custom supercharger setup is usually more difficult than a custom turbo setup. Gotta design a whole lower intake. But you do benefit from smaller overall size and you don’t have to worry about exhaust flow much at all.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, a custom supercharger setup is usually more difficult than a custom turbo setup. Gotta design a whole lower intake. But you do benefit from smaller overall size and you don’t have to worry about exhaust flow much at all.
Also instant boost, no turbo lag.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Also instant boost, no turbo lag.
A full time decrease in fuel efficiency is a more noteworthy affect imo, as a turbo thats been sized for optimal street/truck-stuff performance will have a near imperceptible amount of lag.

Blowers are sweet.. i actually have an oldschool detroit blower waiting to get rebuilt and put on something.. but they're not as well rounded of an option compared to a turbo. Forcing your boost levels into sharing a direct relationship with engine RPMs leaves way too much on the table when it comes to maximizing performance in something street driven.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
My supercharged mini cooper got good mileage and awesome power. Even more fun with a performance pulley.

And you can beat the sound of a sc

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
as a turbo thats been sized for optimal street/truck-stuff performance will have a near imperceptible amount of lag.
Apparently Ford has never figured out how to get rid of turbo lag. That SVO I had years ago had plenty of it, and the 2009 6.4 Superduty I have at work has plenty of it. Of course with a little planning you can minimize it. On the SVO if you planned to pass someone on a two lane road, you dropped it down a gear or two and brought the turbo online so it was ready. On my truck I work, if I am planning to pass someone I push the button on the shifter lever and put it in tow/haul mode. That gives it a little more rpms to get the turbo (or turbos, does it have two?) online and takes a away some of the lag, though it's still there slightly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals