• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What would you do?

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay guys, I've been thinking for awhile about what I'm gonna do as far as motor options for the truck. I know ultimately it comes down to budget, but with the new job ill have a nice chunk of change to throw at it every month. So here's where I'm at:

1) Put a used 2.9 back in without rebuilding just to get it back up and running. Or rebuild a motor from the junkyard.
2) Put a 4.0 in there for a little more power.(but I've been told the fuel economy isn't great. I've even been told its llike having v6 power with v8 mileage.
3) Just go crazy and put a small block in it. Obviously this would be awesome but I don't really know if I want to do that because I haven't v8 swapped a ranger before.

So I guess what I'm asking is, if you were in my position what would you go with, and just a brief explanation why would be great. Thanks in advance!:icon_thumby:

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Option 2. You got it backwards. Its v8 power with v6 economy. I got 22 mpg in my B2 with sensible tires on it.

I love my 4.0. would not trade it for a v8

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
If money is tight I would just put the same motor back in. If you can have yours rebuilt...do it. If you can find a really great running 2.9 that has no issues then buy that and just swap it out on the weekend. A 4.0 will involve a trans swap as well and a harness swap too.

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Option 2. You got it backwards. Its v8 power with v6 economy. I got 22 mpg in my B2 with sensible tires on it.

I love my 4.0. would not trade it for a v8
What do you mean by sensible? I'm planning on 35's but I'm going to be gearing too.
If money is tight I would just put the same motor back in. If you can have yours rebuilt...do it. If you can find a really great running 2.9 that has no issues then buy that and just swap it out on the weekend. A 4.0 will involve a trans swap as well and a harness swap too.
Right now momey is kinda tight, but if need be I can just put a little away at a time. I see quite a few trucks around here that have the 2.9 but usually the headgasket is blown or something else. My grandpa knows a guy that owns a pick n pull and when he buys a complete motor there the guy warranties the motor himself. Maybe I could go that route?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sensible tires were 225/75/15's that I got cheap.

I'm runnin 30's now with 3.73's and will get 17-18 highway with out any adjustment to the speedo for tire size.

I also drive it like I stole it because it runs great. The 4.0 is a fun motor. It used the same motor mounts, I'm using my 2.9 M5OD. It's just fun to drive, and it has a 4 " lift.

No regrets on the 4.0.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 2.9/4.0 would be the easiest/cheapest. I personally don't deem either worthy of rebuild vs chuck and replace.

My mother's 4.0 Explorers (94 4.0 ohv 96-10, 02 SOHC 05-current) with stock tires and gearing have struggled to approach upper teens on the highway... the '02 is better but it is about on par with my 5.4 F-150 that has 32" mud tires.

A SB swap is a ton of fun to drive but it is a serious investment of both time and money. Don't even consider it if you don't plan on keeping the truck for a long time or don't have another good vehicle to depend on while you are putting it together.

With a 4bbl, three speed, 3.73 gears, 31" MT's I get about 10mpg at 60mph... which isn't too bad for a V8 turning 2700 rpm. My one regret is that 3 speed trans...

Last edited:

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
i say 4.0. i will be working on my swap this winter:icon_bounceblue:

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Answers kind of a no brainer, no bucks equals whats cheapest get it running then collect what you want to do with it in the future when money isnt a problem

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 2.9/4.0 would be the easiest/cheapest. I personally don't deem either worthy of rebuild vs chuck and replace.

My mother's 4.0 Explorers (94 4.0 ohv 96-10, 02 SOHC 05-current) with stock tires and gearing have struggled to approach upper teens on the highway... the '02 is better but it is about on par with my 5.4 F-150 that has 32" mud tires.

A SB swap is a ton of fun to drive but it is a serious investment of both time and money. Don't even consider it if you don't plan on keeping the truck for a long time or don't have another good vehicle to depend on while you are putting it together.

With a 4bbl, three speed, 3.73 gears, 31" MT's I get about 10mpg at 60mph... which isn't too bad for a V8 turning 2700 rpm. My one regret is that 3 speed trans...
Holy cow! A 3 speed would seem like it would sick the mileage down a bit. I do plan on keeping the truck forever honestly. My wife and I are sharing the ecobox right now, and that's why I've been able to sort of put money away.
i say 4.0. i will be working on my swap this winter:icon_bounceblue:
The only drawback for me is, a lot of people swap in 4.0 and with the tire size I'm running, I think I would have to gear the axles down quite a bit.
Answers kind of a no brainer, no bucks equals whats cheapest get it running then collect what you want to do with it in the future when money isnt a problem
True, but the motor is alreadt out of the truck. All I would need to do would be drop the tranny and driveline and I'm ready to start swapping stuff over.

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you need it as a daily driver, I recommend the 4.0 swap. its a little more work, but well worth the effort. and you wont wish you had done that at a later date. ive done swaps before and then wished I had gone a different route, but it was either time or money that dictated what I was able to do.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I met a guy running 35's on a D30 in a Jeep cherokee with 3.55 gears.

It can be done, not saying you'll have a lot of power, but you can run em

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals