• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why do many people buy in to the 3000 mile oil change myth, but not change other stuf

pontiac_fiero_g

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 pos/2.9
Transmission
Manual
my truck uses a little oil (about 1/2-1qt every 3k) so i run 20w50 in mine and check it about once a week and change it when it gets dark and when i rub it between my fingers and doesnt feel as slick as it should. i do try to stick to 3k when i can just to be on the safe side but i dont freak out about it until it stops feeling good.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I go by the manufacturer's recommended service schedule. I do know that some people I have known who never do any services and they wind up with nothing but trouble later on down the road.
BTW notice that SOME manufacturer's are lengthening changing intervals, like BMW, and erroneous things like "maintenance free transmission fluid", the worse thing is "they" are not the ones who will suffer, it's the used car buyer that will buy a poorly maintained vehicle, because of lengthened maintenance intervals from the original owner.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
That is another thing......manufactures that are recommending longer oil changes also put high quality synthetic blends or full synthetics in the vehicles from the factory AND recommend them for oil changes.

So, there is a difference between the castrol syntec BMW puts in there vs the conventional most owners cheap out and use. See it all the time.

No one can convince me that you'll get the same amount of protection, as long, between the two.

THROW all the websites you want at me. I work at a shop, and see what 7K oil changes on conventional oil do to an engine. Yeah some engines might be fine. I just prefer to drain oil, no sludge out of my oil pan. :beer:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
+1 if oil is what goes in, it sure as hell better be what comes out!

SnC RangeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
iv been changing the oil every 3k-5k sense i was 16 (im 25 now) its just a habit and i dont really see it as a waist of money cause it gives me peace of mind and i change trans like once a year or when i feel it is needed and check my air filter regularly.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just prefer to drain oil, no sludge out of my oil pan. :beer:
It is really fun when you have to break a hole in the sludge with a screwdriver to get what is left of the oil to actually drain. :icon_thumby:

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
My aunt bought her 98 Explorer New back in 98, she had never changed the trans fluid, she also always took it to the Ford Dealer where she bought it in Jefferson City, a few months ago, the trans started to slip a little, I asked her when she last changed the fluid, she didn't even know it was suppose to be changed, the Explorer had 158,000 miles on it, still had the factory plugs, and wires, I changed and serviced the trans and changed the plugs and wired, AND ran a bottle of Seafoam through a vacuum line, and let the Explorer sit for a hour after it was "fogging" out of the exhaust, I also poured a can of Seafoam in to the tank, when I spoke to her again about a week later, she said it was running MUCH better, and getting 2 to 4 miles per gallon more then before. I put Royal Purple trans fluid in the tranny.

I also put Royal Purple in the front and read diffs.

She has one of those little computers in it that tells here when to change the oil, I hate that thing.

I know when I was working for the Jefferson County Highway dept., They changed the filter and added one quart of oil every 3k miles, I thought that was pretty stooped, but I only worked there.

When I was driving over the road trucks, the companies I worked for changed the oil every 25k, and the rears, and tranny every 50k, the air filter was changed every 50k, and the fuel filter was changed when it clogged up.

Robert

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So, there is a difference between the castrol syntec BMW puts in there vs the conventional most owners cheap out and use. See it all the time.
Um you are talking about BMW's there? Totally untrue! You surely have met a "BMW Driver", IMO they are DICKS!

BMW drivers do "not" baby their cars, they drive them hard, think they are real sporty with everything and all, and they don't cheap out on their cars, but they are hashed and thrashed by the time the trade in comes.

BMW cars and the drivers do *not* understand longevity, they were great in their day, but like the Mercedes ride of yesteryear is now today surpassed by a Toyota Camry. :dunno:

At some point BMW was at the helm of the car industry, driving innovation and engineering (early 90's). First projector headlights? BMW, first HID in a production car? BMW. But IMO they lost that touch, even the VW Phaeton brought to the table things that BMWs of yore would have included. It's a more competitive world, alright, but still they're under-performing. I know many of us were loyal to the brand in the E39 era. The E34 was/is beautiful, the latter E38 and E46 too, the 8 series; they were very focused cars made with a purpose: practicality, luxury and performance. After that it all went downhill.

I find the BMW owners try to be hypish about their cars. Also BMW offers a comprehensive suite of premium vehicle maintenance services for absolutely no cost....

Last edited:

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
my 2011 ranger says 12000kms per change. and 8000 for extreme conditions.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
my 2011 ranger says 12000kms per change. and 8000 for extreme conditions.
So 5k-7,500 in miles

What oil does it say to use though? Motorcraft synthetic? Or at least a Motorcraft synthetic blend? Just curious........

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
So 5k-7,500 in miles

What oil does it say to use though? Motorcraft synthetic? Or at least a Motorcraft synthetic blend? Just curious........
it does not specify any oil and i was told by the ford service manager at my local dealership conventional would be fine but the factory fill was simi synthetic motorcraft. im going to run full synthetic though.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
At one time, oil was only good for about 3000 miles. Modern oils, even the cheap stuff is good for 5000 in most cases.
Someone pointed out about not neglecting other fluids, which is true. Tauruses are known for having weak trannys but I've had ours flushed every 25k since new (the manual says every 30k) and the wife is probably near the world record for the most miles on a Taurus without having the tranny rebuilt (131,000). Knock on wood, no issues so far.
Old coolant will not only clog your radiator but it can toast the head gaskets too.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Um you are talking about BMW's there? Totally untrue! You surely have met a "BMW Driver", IMO they are DICKS!

BMW drivers do "not" baby their cars, they drive them hard, think they are real sporty with everything and all, and they don't cheap out on their cars, but they are hashed and thrashed by the time the trade in comes.

BMW cars and the drivers do *not* understand longevity, they were great in their day, but like the Mercedes ride of yesteryear is now today surpassed by a Toyota Camry. :dunno:

At some point BMW was at the helm of the car industry, driving innovation and engineering (early 90's). First projector headlights? BMW, first HID in a production car? BMW. But IMO they lost that touch, even the VW Phaeton brought to the table things that BMWs of yore would have included. It's a more competitive world, alright, but still they're under-performing. I know many of us were loyal to the brand in the E39 era. The E34 was/is beautiful, the latter E38 and E46 too, the 8 series; they were very focused cars made with a purpose: practicality, luxury and performance. After that it all went downhill.

I find the BMW owners try to be hypish about their cars. Also BMW offers a comprehensive suite of premium vehicle maintenance services for absolutely no cost....
eh, for the most part I know they run them into the ground. They are somewhat expensive to maintain, but they will last a LONG time if maintained. It kills me to see such nice cars abused. There are a few conscience owners that take care of them and they run like new.

Oh and yeah ......I know what DICKS most BMW drivers are.......check out my build thread.......

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I am sticking to my 3K until I get the new engine, because I know the shape my engine is in. It's been rode hard and put away wet in her day.

By the time I get the new one in, I'll probably stick to 3000 because by then I'll probably have a 2.5 mile drive to work. The detergents in these oils do break down over time. And I do mean time, not use.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Power steering fluid is also a VERY overlooked fluid that NEEDS changing semi-regularly on a rig with oversized tires.

thats one thing i dont have to keep up with, i have one of those special self changing pumps :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals