• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

XP vs Vista

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a copy of vista I used on my newer PC. It crashed the other day and I reloaded XP Media Center.... Vista is pretty, but after about the 100th time you have to push the "allow" button just to change a desktop background or something simple, it gets very old!
Yeah, it does get quite annoying. You can adjust it somewhere so that it's requests are limited.. can't seem to remember where I went to do that though.

Vista is pita JUNK. DO NOT buy Vista! If you're buying a new pc instead of building it like you should....go to the business section (not the home consumer) of the computer vendor's site and you'll find the option for XP there, not just VISTA. If you don't find the XP option, run to another vendor! Stick with XP preferably the Professional version...it works pretty well, is proven, drivers for most everything are compatible with it, uses way less ramm, I could go on and on. 2000 Professional was very stable and dependable and I stuck with that until just recently. I'll be sticking with XP for alot longer.
And Vista needs 2GB of memory to run good....I've run XP just fine on 512KB, but 1MB to 2MB is alot nicer.
Vista is amazing, and if you only have 512KB-2MB your computers from the stone ages. I'm guessing you meant MB and GB not KB and MB. Anyway, even 512 MB ram is obsolete now days. Memory is EXTREMELY cheap. If your computers old enough to be operating with MB then you need a new one, and if you bought a new one like that, you threw your money away.

Vista = Wonderful. Also, Vista isn't a pretty XP. Vista is the new OS while Windows 3.0 is going to be the new "vista" since people like you throw the vista name threw so much shit. Half the people that say vista sucks don't even know what they're talking about. And the other half put it on an OLD system made for an OS of a lower quality that demands a less capable computer.

Sure, if your only going to spend a few hundred on your computer go for XP, you won't have a good enough one to enjoy vista anyway. My Vista runs faster and smoother than ANY XP I have ever used in my lifetime.

LITTLE FOOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i like vista, i never have a problem with it. i use it on all three of my computers.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I like working with Vista. I was very pessimistic at first when I bought my first computer and it had Vista. It turned out to be great. For what I do, it basically runs itself. It's great for what I do. All of my old XP programs I like to use work fine and I run into less problems compaired to XP. The family computer runs on XP and it has been reloaded countless times. It always seens to start to act up within a year and the shtf.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I mentioned this the other day...I went into Business Depot this week looking for something and saw XP Pro on the shelf...last year it was simply unavailable...I guess demand is greater for XP than the retailers thought and they brought it back due to popular demand...

I'm going to upgrade to XP...I like it...it works with my dinosaur computer...and the bugs have been worked to the point of having them stand up when you say STAND UP...

Vista is JAFOS...

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Both Vista and XP are good operating systems, esp. compared to Windows 9x.

Only problem with Vista is you need some higher-powered hardware to run it, but nowadays that's pretty cheap.

rjppunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I use pc's for gaming and vista blows as far as that goes. Lots of games arent vista compatible plus its just buggy. Media center isnt much better though. I stick with good old xp pro service pack 2

DannyG

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Currently I run Mac OS X, Windows XP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium, and Ubuntu. I prefer OS X/Ubuntu, am really comfortable with XP Pro.

The funny part is Vista for me is awesome, I use it for my DVR, it hasn't crash (that wasn't caused by me).

Personally I am a high level tech with decent programing skills, and for me I like OS X the most, Windows XP/Vista second and Ubuntu thrid (only for the console need for certain setups and not everything can run on it, hardware wise.)

I used to be the Anti-Vista guy, now I realize that most customers I deal with have the wrong version of Vista.

I have tried it all and worked on it all. Can't complain to much. It all boils down to getting what suits your needs the best.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Vista is perfect if you have the proper hardware. It is beautiful and it has a couple of features XP doesn't that I use almost every day. Windows 7 will blow everything out of the water though.

Good to see other computer geeks here loving Linux. Once I build my 2nd system I'm going to have my Linux box be for storage and downloading and my new Windows system will be strictly for gaming and multimedia.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Here's my main gripe with Vista. Try networking a Vista box with an XP box. Or God forbid a 2K box. It's not plug and play by any means. More secure maybe. But more headache definitely. I'll wait for Win7 and then see if I want to move from XP.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive got an xp desktop and a vista desktop connecting to the network through an xp laptop....how do you like them beans? :icon_rofl:

it was all plug and play.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
You are in the minority.

LEVE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Try networking a Vista box with an XP box. Or God forbid a 2K box. It's not plug and play by any means.
I hated Vista. But then I ran Vista 64bit and I had to eat a little crow. Then I upgraded my computer.. bigger...bigger... faster... faster. I installed Vista 64bit Ultimate edition and it's worked flawlessly. Tonight, in fact, I reformatted the hard disk (leaving the 8mb partition untouched) to see what would happen. I had backed up the computer to another hard disk last night.

It took only a few minutes to restore the computer to full operation.

I have this computer networked to the following computers:
  • One XP-home system
  • One ME system
  • One Laptop running XP-Pro
  • One Linux system (Ubuntu)
It took a while to figure out the Vista way of doing things, but after that there's been no problems.

I would NOT recommend Vista for a computer that is marginally configured for it's use.

I also downloaded a beta copy of Windows 7 and I like it better than XP or Vista and tested it for a couple of weeks. I will buy it when it is released

DannyG

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here's my main gripe with Vista. Try networking a Vista box with an XP box. Or God forbid a 2K box. It's not plug and play by any means. More secure maybe. But more headache definitely. I'll wait for Win7 and then see if I want to move from XP.
I have found that networking in Vista is more user friendly than in XP or 2K, I also have no problems connecting through OS X.

Most problems come from improperly configured routers/switches, and workgroup/computer name issues.

Best bet is always suspect the physical media first, then work on the software protocols next. Also remember that if you have passwords and such on a machine, it could limit connectivity.

Also make sure you know the passwords and how items are shared, and check user permissions which can limit anyone but the owner from finding or using a file or drive.

I have dealt with to many network sharing issues. That and I have been up for almost 20 hours. :icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals