• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why do many people buy in to the 3000 mile oil change myth, but not change other stuf

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Why do many people buy in to the 3000 mile engine oil change myth and then ignore the transmission fluid, brake fluid and even engine coolant? Automatics can cost more to repair than engines.

I know several people that have 90k on their automatic transmission fluid, but changes oil every 3k. :icon_confused:

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Most people know the oil is atleast somewhat important.......I'm sure there are a lot of people that may not know what the transmission even is, or the fact that a car has one and requires its own fluids.... I once had to help a friend fill his car with gas, and change a battery because he was lost. Sad but true
:idiot:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I run regular old dino 5w30 in the engine and change it out every 5k (3k miles) and the rest of the fluids are synthetic and get changed once a year... I change diff oil too often to keep track of, and I use the test strips at work to keep an eye on coolant strength.

Power steering fluid is also a VERY overlooked fluid that NEEDS changing semi-regularly on a rig with oversized tires.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm not sure what "3000 mile oil change myth" you are talking about.

Oil change interval is largely governed by the age of the engine and the quality of the PCV system. On many older engines (from the 80s and 90s) and ones with over 100K miles, 3000 miles is the appropriate OIC.

Most modern engines can go 5000 miles, and many new ones can go up to 7500 and still be ok.

As for why people ignore the other fluids, I think it's because they realize the engine is burning things, and that burning is a dirty process. They see the transmission, cooling system, and brake system as closed systems that have no method for dirt to be introduced and so they don't worry about changing the fluid. Also, those fluid changes are harder to do, and a lot more expensive than oil changes.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Power steering fluid is also a VERY overlooked fluid that NEEDS changing semi-regularly on a rig with oversized tires.
I've changed mine about 12 times in the last 6 months.

Well, ok, "changed" might be too strong a word. I'm just too lazy to fix the leak. I fill it up when the pump gets noisy.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Most people who change oil every 3k do it because "my daddy always done it and he never had no problems," or they think it's cheap insurance :)icon_rofl:).

As for other fluids, yeah I agree it's baffling how they're ignored. But the automakers aren't exactly helping, recommending ATF changes only every 100k or more, some even saying they're "lifetime" fluids that never need changed. :fie: just so they can advertise low maintenance costs.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a simple way of putting it to customers at work when I tell them they need "maintenance" done... "Maintenance is cheep... replacing the parts from lack of maintenance is expensive... how much money do you want to pay me now???"

Now keep this in mind... I work for a agricultural equipment shop... you would think these farmers would know about maintenance :icon_confused:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a simple way of putting it to customers at work when I tell them they need "maintenance" done... "Maintenance is cheep... replacing the parts from lack of maintenance is expensive... how much money do you want to pay me now???"

Now keep this in mind... I work for a agricultural equipment shop... you would think these farmers would know about maintenance :icon_confused:
The lack of maintenance on the farm blows away anything with a car hands down. Things are used harder and are much less forgiving. To add to the fun things are much more expensive to replace... and some still can't figure it out.

Then you have guys that try to be proactive, and have their stuff inspected at the dealer and fixed preseason spending major money and still can't make it a day without problems, often because the dealer screwed it up. :icon_confused:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
well i change it every 3k, just because its a habit for me now. and well i replace the trans fluid once a year, also the coolant. already replaced the steering fluid and will replace the diff fluid in jan when i get the gears done, after that ill be changing it yearly.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
u know ive tried working at all the "quick lube and fast oil change" places...they hire a bunch of fawkn idiots and its retarded what people do...but besides that heres the problem

manuals say "change oil at 5k, 7k,etc"...its all a bunch of bs. then they say things like "extreme use, or "hard usage" change at 3k. and these dam electronic oil change reminders, its all b.s.

i've seen some oil changes come in that their reminder interval thingymabob said they had 500 miles left and their oil was like fawkn tar. thats why it sucks buying a used car nowadays. whatever happend to the days of changing your oil at 2,999 miles just so u didnt go over the recommended interval?

also wtf are people thinking when they run an air filter for 15k miles? are u serious!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
also wtf are people thinking when they run an air filter for 15k miles? are u serious!!
Imagine our surprise when we popped a air cleaner apart and found a 1986 date stamped on both filters.

Just changed the original fan belt on a 1976 IH 1066 a couple weeks ago. The thing still looked ok, but was stretched and narrow enough it struggled to get enough grip.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Even the cheapest conventional can go 5k miles betwwen changes easy. If you're changing it every 3k, you're wasting money and oil. PERIOD.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, some people can get away with 5K or even 7K oil change intervals.

BUT, MOST need it "about" every 3K. Like mentioned before, most manufactures recommend a severe service table vs. the 'normal' service table. Most people should follow the severe. I dare somebody to define 'NORMAL' driving. It's almost impossible to define it across the board for everybody.

Also, mind the fact of how much the engine idles with unrecorded (mileage) use. That's still taking life out of oil. Especially in the winter......

If you feel that you can go with extended oil changes...you go right ahead. Let your engine sludge up.

I KNOW how hard I am on my truck, I KNOW how much it idles, and I'm comfortable with changing my oil and filter every 3,500-4,500mi. Granted I use Valvoline Max life or synthetic.

As for other fluids....follow the severe service tables. I actually follow the generic service tables at work. Everything is changed/flushed every 30K (trans, power steering, coolant), differentials and t-case every 50K, and a Fuel induction service every year. I also run a fuel system cleaner in the tank every other oil change.

What would you rather be faced with? 3 or 4 $140 trans flushes, or a $2800 transmission replacement........I know what I'd pick....:icon_thumby:

My point, be smart, take care of your vehicle, and it will take care of you. It will cost you much less down the road. Don't take care of your vehicle, and face costly repairs. The proof is in the pudding....I see it EVERY day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals