Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. If you're in need of help, post it below in the appropriate topic forum.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Ferrell

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Life
Ferrell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ferrell Send a message via MSN to Ferrell Send a message via Yahoo to Ferrell
Default 1989 Ford 4x4 2.9L (Ranger)

Got a small question, is the speedometer on the 89 Ford Ranger 4x4 2.9L v6 a electronic one or cable run speedometer? If it's electronic where is the fuse at for it?

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 09-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
DRanger024

Vehicle Year: 1999, 1994
Vehicle Model: Explorer, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD
DRanger024 will become famous soon enoughDRanger024 will become famous soon enough

cable
Old 09-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Ferrell

Send a message via AIM to Ferrell Send a message via MSN to Ferrell Send a message via Yahoo to Ferrell

Alright thanks mate.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Ferrell

Since i know it's cable now i need to figure out whats wrong with it and how to replace/fix the problem so i know how fast i am going. :\ Still working on the transmission problem as well...and getting nowhere fast. /sigh.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
superds

Vehicle Year: 1984 2013
Vehicle Model: BII F150
I use this vehicle for: driving
superds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to behold

+1, Cable.

What's the problem with it? It could just be a bad cable itself. That's probably the most common thing to go out on the system.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Ferrell

Yeah that is what i am thinking..because it was working a week or so ago and then when i got home with it, next time i went down to check the mailbox it wasn't working. So i am thinking thats the problem, but i seen somewhere else that some dude mentioned gears might be broken on a post somewhere else. But i don't know, how hard is it to replace a cable and how do i do it?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
superds

Vehicle Year: 1984 2013
Vehicle Model: BII F150
I use this vehicle for: driving
superds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to beholdsuperds is a splendid one to behold

Did you look at the drive and driven gear for the cable? It's super easy to check, it's near the rear output of the transfer case and has a cable coming out of it. Take it off, check the gear for damage.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
Ferrell

I'm going to get laughed at for this i am sure...but the transfer case is where the 4x4 axle comes out of the transmission and goes to the front axle right? Shut up people, i am a noob at this.. >_> I'm used to 2wd's and Hondas. -_- But if that is where it's at tomorrow i will go outside and check..since right now the mosquito's will carry me off.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
xkotyx

Vehicle Year: 1991
I use this vehicle for: Project
xkotyx is a jewel in the roughxkotyx is a jewel in the roughxkotyx is a jewel in the roughxkotyx is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrell View Post
I'm going to get laughed at for this i am sure...but the transfer case is where the 4x4 axle comes out of the transmission and goes to the front axle right? Shut up people, i am a noob at this.. >_> I'm used to 2wd's and Hondas. -_- But if that is where it's at tomorrow i will go outside and check..since right now the mosquito's will carry me off.
yeah the transfer case is the big case that the front and rear driveshafts come from.
and its no problem. we all have to start somewhere. thats something ive noticed about TRS, most people on here dont judge, and are very helpful.

My SAS, 4.0 swap build: http://therangerstation.com/forums/s...d.php?t=100843
xkotyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
Ferrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkotyx View Post
yeah the transfer case is the big case that the front and rear driveshafts come from.
and its no problem. we all have to start somewhere. thats something ive noticed about TRS, most people on here dont judge, and are very helpful.
Thanks mate, appreciate the clarification on it. I'm going to look tomorrow when the mosquito aren't so bad outside and i have some proper lightening. Should post a update tomorrow once i look at the gears and drive. I'm hoping no matter what's wrong with it, that i can fix it easy. Because me..without a speedometer, is going to be ticket hell.