• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. fatt_owl2.9

Shifter Issues

my shifter has been having some problems over the last few months, it started when a particular shop started manhandling it, and it would pop out of alignment or something, and not work properly. A couple different shops have always seemed to be able to fix it really quickly and easily, but now...
  2. fatt_owl2.9

Totally Stumped

A couple weeks ago my truck started running really rough for about a minute/mile, then died. I was also on my last drop of gas, so I figured it had run out of gas, but the rough running made me think there was an ignition issue. my dad came to rescue me and borrowed a full gas can, we emptied...
  3. fatt_owl2.9

fuel line to pressure regulator securing wire?

I wanted to pull the fuel line off of my pressure regulator to cycle the fuel pumps and hopefully pump some fuel out of the system, but it appears to have this little plastic wire in place, which I would assume is put there as a safety measure to keep the fuel line from ever coming off. Is it a...
  4. fatt_owl2.9

Ranger stopped running

my 2.9 has had a slight miss for a while now, I figured I would changed the plugs and wires and see if that helped. But the other day the miss started becoming more pronounced. Eventually the engine started running really bad, like it was running on two cylinders or something, and would barely...
  5. fatt_owl2.9

Running Pig Rich

So I guess my truck has been running really rich for quite a while. The smog tech said it's dumping a "ridiculously" high amount of fuel. My truck's been down at a local and well-recommended smog tech/repair place. Owner just called me and said that all engine sensors seem to be working as...
  6. fatt_owl2.9

fuel pump relay?

for the almost 2 years I've had my truck, it's had an intermittent problem with the frame rail pump not engaging every time I turned the key. It would come and go, sometimes be really bad, and then sometimes disappear for quite a while. Finally a couple months ago I was having some other work...
  7. fatt_owl2.9

TK5 longevity

I've had my Ranger about a year and a half and about 20,000 miles. Around Christmas of '08, the original trans (TK5 5-speed manual, 2WD) went kaboom going up a fairly steep grade one day, so I replaced it with a junkyard trans that seemed much better, it was a lot quieter, didn't have the gear...
  8. fatt_owl2.9

Running pig-rich

Well, I just got back from a smog, and the tech said my baby is dumping way more fuel than she should be. I guess now I don't have much choice but to start throwing parts at her. Where do you guys reckon I should start? Thanks in advance.
  9. fatt_owl2.9

hard starting/fuel pump issues?

I need to know if the framerail fuel pump is supposed to come on with every turn of the key. Sometimes I will turn the key a couple times, and not hear it, and my engine will crank but will NOT run until that little sumbitch finally buzzes and shoots enough fuel into the lines to get the engine...
  10. fatt_owl2.9

jerking and bucking on deceleration

This has been a problem with my truck since I bought it almost a year and a half ago. I've mostly ignored it because otherwise my truck has always run great and been reliable as hell. But now it's starting to irritate the **** out of me. Under acceleration my truck is great...smooth, strong...
  11. fatt_owl2.9

framerail pump

I've had a seemingly intermittent issue with my truck for as long as I've had it, which has been exactly a year and about 14k miles. What I'm wondering is, is the framerail fuel pump supposed to run every time the key is turned? Mine doesn't always. There was a period where the problem seemed...
  12. fatt_owl2.9

aftermarket temp gauge problem

the previous owner of my truck installed Sunpro coolant temp and oil pressure gauges. They're in a neat little pod under the dash right in front of the shifter boot. They've always worked great, but a couple weeks ago the temp gauge just stopped working. I thought maybe it was an issue with...
  13. fatt_owl2.9

radiator hose replacement

well, my lower rad hose has been weeping just the tiniest bit for quite a while now. I need to replace my thermostat, and if I'm gonna have everything drained, then ima take care of this hose matter too. My dad brought me home a new lower hose from the parts store he works at, and the hose...
  14. fatt_owl2.9

my trans is dust.

Seems my Toyo Kogyo has given up the ghost. I've found one at a local junkyard, used, for $400 with a 90-day warranty. Somehow I wonder if I can do better than that (cheaper). Does anyone know where I might be able to find a good used gearbox for my 87 Ranger? Thanks bros. -the fat owl.
  15. fatt_owl2.9

my trans is dust.

Seems my Toyo Kogyo has given up the ghost. I've found one at a local junkyard, used, for $400 with a 90-day warranty. Somehow I wonder if I can do better than that (cheaper). Does anyone know where I might be able to find a good used gearbox for my 87 Ranger? Thanks bros. -the fat owl.
  16. fatt_owl2.9

frame rail pump

My truck has had a seemingly intermittent problem since I purchased it about 6 months ago. The problem is that the frame rail-mounted fuel pump will sometimes not engage on the first turn of the key. I sometimes have to turn the ignition key 3 or 4 times before I hear the little bugger buzzing...
  17. fatt_owl2.9

I'm running too cool

What's up guys, in my previous couple of threads I've made reference to the fact that I think my truck is running too cool, and I think it's part of why my fuel economy isn't as good as I think it should be. The previous owner installed some kind of an adjustable thermostat and an electric...
  18. fatt_owl2.9

Driving with SPOUT connector removed

Is this a good idea? My truck is much more driveable this way, although it loses some torque. Opinions?
  19. fatt_owl2.9

Another gas mileage thread

Hey all...I've had my first Ford product ever for about the last 4 months now, an 87 Ranger 2.9L 5-speed 2WD. It's been a great little truck so far, it runs like a top and has been super dependable and dare I say I actually like the way it drives. This is my first time posting to...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad