• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 4x4 daily driver low budget build

IdigAUinNV

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I run a set of these on my pickup. I'm pretty happy with. Noisy when time to rotate... but they all are. I see Mickey Thomson has a $100 rebate on them right now. I bought mine from 4wp and they ship free. Sometimes you can get their promotion discount on top of the rebate. I got a smoking deal when I bought mine. Might be worth checking it out...

Not a bad price. Been looking around and found these:

P-metric size 265/75R15 specs pretty close to 31/10.5R15. With military discount, they are little over $200 each, delivered.

Any experience with Toyo Open Country A/T3’s?
Noise is a consideration, but I expect some noise with any A/T tire.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’ll have to try and remember to post the link of the site where I got my 1,750# springs from. I have the link saved on my computer and the company name is escaping me at the moment. No one local sold more than the 1,250# springs. So I had to order them.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
No experience with those.

Mickey Thompson tires are made by Cooper... in the USA.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you want the cheapest booster up front possible, get yourself some 1 1/4" washers, they'll have a 1 3/8" hole (washer math, it's as random as some lumber math...) that you need to get around the 1 1/8" hex on the radius arm top stud. There's room for 1" of washers there which can give around 1.5" lift. At that point you might need different camber bushings but that's it to get it aligned...

IdigAUinNV

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
No experience with those.

Mickey Thompson tires are made by Cooper... in the USA.
Made in USA made is definitely a consideration for me.
Toyo is a Japanese company that makes many of their tires in the USA, including their off-road/A/T tires. Cooper a USA company that still makes tires in USA.
I can appreciate that.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Here is the links to the web sites that offer the 1,750# HD springs. I think I got mine from The Suspension King but I don't remember. It doesn't matter anyway, it looks like they went out of business.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@IdigAUinNV ,
4k BUDGET, how I would use it TODAY:
$1,800- rebuilt updated transmission, self install
$100- set of Warn or MM manual hubs used/rebiilt, self installed
$100- set of used 15×8 steel wheels
$600- Cooper Discoverers A/T <$150ea or Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP $220ea ($1k)
$500- @someguy 's lift in the for sale forum, rebuild rear pack with junkyard Explorer leaves
$500- taxman, mount/balance, nuts and bolts

IdigAUinNV

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
@IdigAUinNV ,
4k BUDGET, how I would use it TODAY:
$1,800- rebuilt updated transmission, self install
$100- set of Warn or MM manual hubs used/rebiilt, self installed
$100- set of used 15×8 steel wheels
$600- Cooper Discoverers A/T <$150ea or Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP $220ea ($1k)
$500- @someguy 's lift in the for sale forum, rebuild rear pack with junkyard Explorer leaves
$500- taxman, mount/balance, nuts and bolts
Good ideas to work with.

Eyeing the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 4S. They look like the best all around for my intended usage. $196 each about the going rate, best I can tell.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
Good ideas to work with.

Eyeing the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 4S. They look like the best all around for my intended usage. $196 each about the going rate, best I can tell.
@IdigAUinNV ,
Depending on your environment, they may be the best. My primary advisary is wet roads, standing water in ruts. These are rated very, VERY high for wet conditions; a trusted acquaintance has a set of 4S, on his most off-road set up and regular A/T3's on his other trucks, he just loves them!!

A "secret bargain" is the AT version made just for The Walmart, alledged to be the A/T3 version.

Don't get me wrong though, I know that Mickey's are well worth the difference. I have Baja Belteds on my Ranger and Baja Claws on my BII. Neither are GREAT on wet pavement, even sipped. Change it to dirt, different song 🍻🍻🍻; claws dig to China and Belteds float like their getting paid (sand). If these two sets didn't wear so well I would have replaced them years ago 🧐

IdigAUinNV

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
I’m really liking the specs on the Cooper A/T3 4S compared to A/T3 LTX for my intended usage.
If my intentions were to use it more off road then on road, the LTX would be my choice.
Now just need to find the best price….. all that I have found are right at $196 ea. Discount Tire Direct does offer a 5% military discount, so out the door delivered right around $202 each, give or take a buck or 2.

They should mount up fine on the 7” rims I have, but the sweet spot appears to be 8” wide rims for those tire. The search is on for some steelies….

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
@IdigAUinNV ,
Here is a set of 4 from The "Walmart.com". They are A/T3-S4, 275×70R15. It has been my experience that take off Ranger wheels in both the 15×7 and 16×7 are very easy to get ahold of for $100 or LESS. Those tires are also available from The Walmart in 16" for about the same price.

"https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/272335656"

Attachments

Last edited:

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
Not a great pic, hopefully you can make it out. I call these Ranger Fireballs, in 16×7 with the Ford centercaps do not look horrible. I had to open up the center holes a little to fit the D35 4x4 manual lockers.

I can't spit in the wrecking yard without hitting 3 sets of these, let alone on Marketplace ‼

Attachments

IdigAUinNV

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
@IdigAUinNV ,
Here is a set of 4 from The "Walmart.com". They are A/T3-S4, 275×70R15. It has been my experience that take off Ranger wheels in both the 15×7 and 16×7 are very easy to get ahold of fir $100 or LESS. Those tires are also available from The Walmart in 16" for about the same price.

"https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/272335656"
I like the price, but I’m looking for closer to 31”. Closest metric size is 265/75R15.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
This brings back memories...

I've done enough comparison shopping for Ranger stuff... feels like I've spent 25% of my life doing it.

I saw you mention 8 inch wide wheels... and "steelies". Remember the 8 inch wide wheels typically have 3.75 back space... your factory wheels are 7 wide and 4.5 back space. This will poke the wheels out 1.75 inches. While it has better stability... body to tire interface could/will cause body rub at full turn. You can "lift"your way out of it or a trim on the front wheel opening (lower rear) will need to be done. I can post a picture of my Bronco II a bit later. As for steel vs aluminum wheels... I gravitate to the aluminum because of the weight difference. Just saying... choose wisely... you can add 10 to 20 pounds per corner easily. Weight rule applies to tires too.

IMHO... if you want 31's... get 31's. They will offer a bit more ground clearance... better contact patch... and be closer to the "look" you certainly have etched in your mind. Your powertrain and gear will handle them... I've personally put around 100k miles on that combo.

Are ya still having fun?

IdigAUinNV

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
This brings back memories...

I've done enough comparison shopping for Ranger stuff... feels like I've spent 25% of my life doing it.

I saw you mention 8 inch wide wheels... and "steelies". Remember the 8 inch wide wheels typically have 3.75 back space... your factory wheels are 7 wide and 4.5 back space. This will poke the wheels out 1.75 inches. While it has better stability... body to tire interface could/will cause body rub at full turn. You can "lift"your way out of it or a trim on the front wheel opening (lower rear) will need to be done. I can post a picture of my Bronco II a bit later. As for steel vs aluminum wheels... I gravitate to the aluminum because of the weight difference. Just saying... choose wisely... you can add 10 to 20 pounds per corner easily. Weight rule applies to tires too.

IMHO... if you want 31's... get 31's. They will offer a bit more ground clearance... better contact patch... and be closer to the "look" you certainly have etched in your mind. Your powertrain and gear will handle them... I've personally put around 100k miles on that combo.

Are ya still having fun?
Good info on the wheels, I hadn’t giving the practical aspect of changing wheels much thought.

Concerning tires, they will be a compromise between my off road desires and my on road driving needs in snowy, wet and dry conditions I will use the truck on most of the time. And the Discoverer A/T3 4S look to be the best for me to do it all. And the metric equivalent to 31’s are close enough. And 6 lbs lighter and about $17 cheaper per corner. That saves 24 lbs of rotating mass as well $68 on the tire budget to be used elsewhere.
Thanks for the input. It is all useful info.

Planning is a big part of the fun for me!
At some point though, it’s time to “Fish or Cut Bait”!

Cheers!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals