• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 Explorer: A Disgrace to the Explorer Name or a more appropiate vehicle for the u

Is the "New Explorer" Worthy of the name?

• No. It's too on-road to be called an Explorer.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Yes. It's still got 4WD.

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Don't care one way or the other.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • WTF was Ford thinking? The designers & marketing people should be publically flogged!

Votes: 24 39.3%

• Total voters

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
It's a 4WD minivan. It's where vehicular evolution is headed for the time being. Deal with it. Don't like it? Don't buy it.

fordman4x492

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.oh 3oh2 v8
Transmission
Automatic
damn thats some gangster fly tires!!!! lol jk:icon_rofl:

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
its good for living in a big city for people who want to drive out in the woods maybe in some light snow or light mud, if you want something to mud bog in then this is not the vehicle for you....

jhammel85

^this...this is what needs to be built next! Keep the soccer mom SUV's but build this for US..

It's not too far fetched. Look at what they did with the Raptor..I don't think they've forgotten about what we all would like to see.

oh and don't forget to build a small, barebones Ranger too! Please.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

^this...this is what needs to be built next! Keep the soccer mom SUV's but build this for US..

It's not too far fetched. Look at what they did with the Raptor..I don't think they've forgotten about what we all would like to see.

As long as they base it off the indestructable Ranger platform, the owner will be welcome here any time!

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
I 2nd that statement.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why don't you post a pic of the actual Explorer instead of the concept?

I think it's a good looking vehicle. Yeah, off-road caability sucks, but WHO CARES?
These comments on the article sum up my feelings pretty well:

I'm glad Ford used the Explorer name instead of naming it something else. Remember what happened when they renamed the Taurus the Five Hundred? Nobody knew what the hell a Five Hundred was or that it even existed, hence, nobody bought one. But everyone knows what a Taurus is. And everyone has heard of the Explorer. Kudos to Ford for not making the same mistake twice.
+1, they know what they are doing. My parents have had Explorers since '96. They are big inside, look nice on the outside, get decentish milage, and go thru snow like nobody's buisiness. I feel pretty confident that is how most other Explorer buyers look at them too.

I'm with exbass on this one...How many 2000+ Explorers have you seen that are suspension lifted, body lifted, or have larger than stock All-terrain or mud tires? Slim to none. Ford's not run by a bunch of idiots.
Even the older ones, 01 and older are normally sporting the tiny stock tires with a saggy baggy rear end. At least the '02+ seem to have more durable rear springs...

I don't think I have ever seen an Explorer in real life with a lift kit. The only ones that were really decent off road where the sports, and they sold so well they just killed them off and didn't look back...

The Raptor is not a standalone truck, it is a tweaked F-150. They know they won't sell a ton of them so they based it off an existing vehicle. They would lose money on that Bronco... which is why they didn't pursue it.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
uhhhhhh... yall forget that the explorer hasn't been on the ranger platform for some years now right?

I mean... in 02 it lost every aspect of the ranger correct?

So.... I guess my question is... is there some good reason why your bitching now?

Or am I wrong?

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic

that with superduty(or any solid axles) and ecoboast engine and ill be sold

and they wont sell it because i think it would compete with the escape/explorer...

back to the explorer its not a surprise most people that bought the raptor, sadly will never see off road, its all about looks and comfort options nowadays such as heated seats sync tvs etc etc, that's what sells not offload capability, its all about fuel millage and comfort, and that's where the new explorer is going to shine. its 4 wheel independent suspension for a car like ride and 4wd for the wintery snowy roads, with the ecoboast for improved fuel economy

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
uhhhhhh... yall forget that the explorer hasn't been on the ranger platform for some years now right?

I mean... in 02 it lost every aspect of the ranger correct?

So.... I guess my question is... is there some good reason why your bitching now?

Or am I wrong?
Still has the same 4.0 engine and 5 speed automatic transmixer. Also has a 31 spline 8.8 rear axle (with a cool cast aluminum cover) and I believe it still has a D35 front diff too.

Otherwise... yeah, not much in common with a Ranger.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Still has the same 4.0 engine and 5 speed automatic transmixer. Also has a 31 spline 8.8 rear axle (with a cool cast aluminum cover) and I believe it still has a D35 front diff too.

Otherwise... yeah, not much in common with a Ranger.
an optional 4.6 and IRS? I'd love that ranger I won't lie.

But yes they did share the same engine and trans.

*was that last bit sarcasm or were you agreeing with me? Interwebs sucks for that...

Last edited:

PickupMan04 FX4 L2

Oh were gonna have a party tonight! Mr. Mually said it himself the new ranger! Its on like donky kong!

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
They would lose money on that Bronco... which is why they didn't pursue it.
Well I for one know that if they don't pull up their socks, my next vehicle will be a Jeep. Why can't Ford market the Bronco as an off-roader like jeep's been doing (quite successfully I my add) for YEARS!!!

All these new SUV's piss me off. I remember a truck/SUV shootout in Car and Driver mag. a few years ago. They actually tried to make the Escalade climb a sand dune. All the "anti-slip" and all that other garbage kicked in and the tires WOULDN'T MOVE!! They had to send a Silverado dually up the hill to rescue it! My point being...if it's designed to make all 4 wheels spin..why are they designed for street only?? Cars do just fine with only 2 wheels powering the vehicle.

Meh...rant over! :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals