• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 Explorer: A Disgrace to the Explorer Name or a more appropiate vehicle for the u

Is the "New Explorer" Worthy of the name?

• No. It's too on-road to be called an Explorer.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Yes. It's still got 4WD.

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Don't care one way or the other.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • WTF was Ford thinking? The designers & marketing people should be publically flogged!

Votes: 24 39.3%

• Total voters

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It's a 4WD minivan. It's where vehicular evolution is headed for the time being. Deal with it. Don't like it? Don't buy it.
Exactly, why buy this when you can get a F-150 extended cab to off road?

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I think Ford is doing what it needs to do to remain competitive... Gone are the days of full frames (on SUV's anyways) They need to be in line with the new cafe fuel system standards, they also need to appeal to moms that need to go to the mall - and ORV or not it is giving 25,000 people in Chicago work. (although looking at the rear of it... looks like a toyota sequoia meets range rover)

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I toured Ford's Louisville plant where they make Explorers, Mountaineers, and Sport Tracs last week at the Sport Trac club meet where we got to talk to some of the Ford brass. We were told that essentially it boils down to fuel economy. They believe that, long term, fuel costs will go up (I agree) and you can't get much better fuel efficiency with the current design because traditional body-on-frame construction is just too heavy.

The new 'Sploder will sell like hotcakes. Maybe in the Sunbelt they off-road on speed bumps at the mall but up here people NEED 4x4 SUV's to get around in the winter.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I toured Ford's Louisville plant where they make Explorers, Mountaineers, and Sport Tracs last week at the Sport Trac club meet where we got to talk to some of the Ford brass. We were told that essentially it boils down to fuel economy. They believe that, long term, fuel costs will go up (I agree) and you can't get much better fuel efficiency with the current design because traditional body-on-frame construction is just too heavy.

The new 'Sploder will sell like hotcakes. Maybe in the Sunbelt they off-road on speed bumps at the mall but up here people NEED 4x4 SUV's to get around in the winter.
Why? Pittsburg doesn't get that much snow. Hell, my parent's Escape with it unibody design and 4wd without low range is the best vehicle I've driven in snow.

erocka1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i like it. if i could afford it id get one for everyday driving and then go all out with the ranger!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why? Pittsburg doesn't get that much snow. Hell, my parent's Escape with it unibody design and 4wd without low range is the best vehicle I've driven in snow.
Escapes are not all that big... it would leave a huge gap between the Escape and the Expedition.

The currrent Explorer (like all before it) offer a nice balance of passenger area vs cargo area vs overall size. You can get a decent amount of stuff in them without driving a tank.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I dunno, got about 4' just in February alone this year. We do not normally get Wisconsin or Buffalo levels of snow but it's also a lot hillier here than in those places which makes it just as hard to get around. I lived in Upstate NY for a year, which gets about triple the snow as here, but it was all pretty flat and other than occasional visibility issues like not being able to see the end of the hood, I got around just fine in a Mustang.

My daughter's Jeep is under there somewhere.

Attachments

Last edited:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
An Escape will go very well in snow because it's light. Less of its own weight to carry around or create momentum that's hard to stop. An empty 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 truck is about the worst thing in snow that there is.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
An Escape will go very well in snow because it's light. Less of its own weight to carry around or create momentum that's hard to stop. An empty 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 truck is about the worst thing in snow that there is.
One of the reasons why I like my 4-banger 4x4. Coupled with the narrow (215 width) tires on it, it goes like gangbusters in the snow in 2WD, even without any additional weight in the bed!

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
After two Rangers and two Sport Tracs I'll say that hands-down the best vehicle I ever had for snow was my old '05 Sport Trac. 'Sploders have more weight in the rear than Rangers plus it had a limited-slip rear and Bridgestone REVO tires. My daughter's Jeep might give it a run though. After I took the pic above, the plow went by and added another 2' of snow. I cleaned off the windshield, shifted into 4wd, and drove it right out just to see if I could. 4-banger, open rear, Firestone Wintermaster tires.

My new Trac is okay with the better tires I've put on, the OE Goodyear all-seasons were horrible in snow, but the traction control sucks. When ALL the wheels are in deep snow it just makes the engine take a crap. You can shut the TC off but then you have open axles front and rear.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
As I have stated from time to time...I will never buy another Ford. I think the square look just sucks.....I am not happy with most of Ford's body styles anymore. So many of the newer cars and trucks are just getting to that stupid squat look that just sucks to me. Some have that stupid 'Tuner Boy' look as well. The Flex and the Edge are just fugly and don't say 'Buy me' like Ford used to say. Jeep is getting this way as well and I used to think alot about Jeep!!! I am buying a new SUV next month and I am keeping my Ranger. I want something that says...Buy me!!!!!! So...'good by' Ford
x2 I couldnt agree more. What is the last year that the exploder was actually on a ranger frame or even close? Yeah, so where is the sticky banning the new explorer from being RBVified?

Oh yeah, HOpman, you are just full of quotes by the way. Im reading all your posts now looking for more.:beer:(I was gonna post the pepsi, but it looks like COke is winning)

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah, Hopman, you are just full of quotes by the way. Im reading all your posts now looking for more.:beer:(I was gonna post the pepsi, but it looks like COke is winning)
I just say what's on my mind. I don't care if you agree or disagree. I will respect your opinions all the same.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
This will piss EVERYONE off here:

I'm looking at Saturn VUEs.

2004-2007 models, V6 AWD.

Why? Because they're fun as hell to drive with that Honda 3.5, and comfortable. Comfort goes a long way on the kind of trips I take (500+ miles at a sitting). I'm not young anymore, and my crushed L5-S1 disc doesn't much like my Jetta for that long at a time. The Mazda's going to turn 230k tomorow on the way to work, and I need a newer vehicle (and want either 4WD or AWD) for winter.

Talk me out of it.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
This will piss EVERYONE off here:

I'm looking at Saturn VUEs.

2004-2007 models, V6 AWD.

Why? Because they're fun as hell to drive with that Honda 3.5, and comfortable. Comfort goes a long way on the kind of trips I take (500+ miles at a sitting). I'm not young anymore, and my crushed L5-S1 disc doesn't much like my Jetta for that long at a time. The Mazda's going to turn 230k tomorow on the way to work, and I need a newer vehicle (and want either 4WD or AWD) for winter.

Talk me out of it.
I won't talk you out of it bro. Nothing wrong with a Vue, and it sounds like it will suit your needs very well. :icon_thumby:

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
I won't talk you out of it bro. Nothing wrong with a Vue, and it sounds like it will suit your needs very well. :icon_thumby:
Was also considering an EC Ranger 4WD. Can't pull the trigger on either. Just need to find the right 'one.'

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals