• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 Explorer: A Disgrace to the Explorer Name or a more appropiate vehicle for the u

Is the "New Explorer" Worthy of the name?

• No. It's too on-road to be called an Explorer.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Yes. It's still got 4WD.

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Don't care one way or the other.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • WTF was Ford thinking? The designers & marketing people should be publically flogged!

Votes: 24 39.3%

• Total voters

Theateys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Past: 1991, 199
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe Ford is heading in the right direction with the new Explorer. Most Explorer owners never haul a trailer or miss their paved driveway. I'm sure there will be an off road package or two that will find it's way onto the Explorer. It's all about what the consumer demands. My only gripe is the Ecoboost I4! WTF They put a Ecoboost v6 in the Taurus/MKS, Edge and Flex but not the Explorer? Save the Eco I4 for next year's Focus!

As for the Ranger...I don't think Alan Mulally will let such a strong brand name be tossed aside. Given the Ranger is supposed to be a small truck to haul stuff, I doubt Ford will try and pass off a front wheel drive version of it in the future.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One of the reasons why I like my 4-banger 4x4. Coupled with the narrow (215 width) tires on it, it goes like gangbusters in the snow in 2WD, even without any additional weight in the bed!
So will my dad's 4x4 one ton. With narrow 235/85-16 tires it will make my Ranger look stupid in snow with 235/75-15's... and it weighs about twice as much. One winter I was trying to follow that thing, he was just driving along in 2wd and I was all over the place in 4wd...

It isn't so much weight as the entire set up, there is a reason they hang snow plows on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and get along fine. Balance and lb/sq-in with the tires are the biggies.

Hehe, my 6kish lb 2wd tractor will go places in snow that will give about any pickup nightmares... and it won't blink at doing it. Then I put chains on it and it can blade snow about anywhere without flinching too.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

^this...this is what needs to be built next! Keep the soccer mom SUV's but build this for US..

It's not too far fetched. Look at what they did with the Raptor..I don't think they've forgotten about what we all would like to see.

oh and don't forget to build a small, barebones Ranger too! Please.
You do realize this was nothing more than an Escape with different body work on it right? Four wheel independent suspension and no low range... I wouldn't buy that...

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You do realize this was nothing more than an Escape with different body work on it right? Four wheel independent suspension and no low range... I wouldn't buy that...
If they built it on the Ranger chassis I would!

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
You guys DO know where the SUV came from right? If I recall it correctly, in the 70's strick CAFE standards were passed, dictating minimum mph, emissions, etc.. for cars sold in America. Pickup Trucks were exempted from those standards so the auto companies created the SUV, or a mini van per se on a truck chassis.

Our glorious congress and president have revamped those CAFE standards and they are far more restrictive and include ALL vehicles.

Don't blame FORD, blame the people that elected the idiots in Washington. This is the first time I've been proud to say that NOBODY that I have voted for is in Washington LOL.

machine090767

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4 Triton V8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Perfection is worth the wait
the first Explorers came out in late 1989 (as a 1991 model) thats 21 years ago. The era of the square body suv is gone.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
WTF is with that grill. Fugly.

But I know its going to sell to consumers. But I wouldn't call that a explorer.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You guys DO know where the SUV came from right? If I recall it correctly, in the 70's strick CAFE standards were passed, dictating minimum mph, emissions, etc.. for cars sold in America. Pickup Trucks were exempted from those standards so the auto companies created the SUV, or a mini van per se on a truck chassis.

Our glorious congress and president have revamped those CAFE standards and they are far more restrictive and include ALL vehicles.

Don't blame FORD, blame the people that elected the idiots in Washington. This is the first time I've been proud to say that NOBODY that I have voted for is in Washington LOL.
SUV's were spawned in WWII (1940's) in the need to move people and gear across almost any terrain... the MB Jeep ('46 brought about the first CJ). After the two wars it spun off the IH Scout (in 1960), then the Scout knockoff, the Bronco (in 1966) GM followed with the Blazer (in 1969) and so on.

Don't blame anyone for the truck based SUV fad going the same way as the sedan, station wagons and minivan... someday the CUV will get the same fate... nothing will stay in style forever.

The emissions and MPG exemption thing didn't didn't become a big player about until much later... and honestly if they can get the same power and reliablity cleaner and more effeciant I don't see the problem. My brother's '11 Mustang GT has 412hp, gets 25mpg, mags got them well into low 12's in the quarter all without raw fuel dripping from the exhaust... What is wrong with that?

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
SUV's were spawned in WWII (1940's) in the need to move people and gear across almost any terrain... the MB Jeep ('46 brought about the first CJ).
I guess I should have worded it a bit different. I should have said "popular". :icon_confused:

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 2 cents. Reusing the Explorer badge to have an established publicity base: +1. Building an "Explorer" that isn't even roughly close to an Explorer?: -1. Efficiency in an Explorer?: +1. So close in design to some of Ford's fugly new crossovers?: -1. I could keep going back and forth. I like the Explorer as it once was more so than what it has become. We all know our RBV's are only alive because of our dedication to them, and that they will never be created the same way. I'm neutral. It isn't in a traditional sense an Explorer, but it's a move in a direction all vehicles must go.

Pagemaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 Liter V-6
Transmission
Automatic
I think ford is pretty spot on when it comes to what the majority of people want. should that thing be allowed on here? most definitly not!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals