• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3 Scientific Experiments to Settle This | Wide vs Narrow Off-Road Tires - Tinkerer's Adventure

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Watched that the other day. Good experiment for what he tested and his applications, but he missed and/or ignored a few things that I think are important.

1. Used the same wheel between different tire widths (315 & 255 Baja Boss). Putting the wider tire on the narrower wheel is going to affect contact patch, he should have used the wider tire on a wider wheel for more acurate test.

2. When he compared the two wide tires (315 Baja Boss and KM2) they appeared to be on different width wheels, plus the beadlock would affect how they are allowed to flex on respective wheel. Same width tire should be tested on same width wheel and same beadlock/nonbeadlock.

3. Compared worn/broken in tire against new tires. Broken in tire that's been run at low pressures is likely to have more flexability than a new tire. Adding the used KM2 skewed the data, should have compared all tires in same general condition.

4. Ignored terrain variables. To be fair he said from the start that this was about the surfaces he runs on which is rockly terrain. Mud, snow, and sand are going to have different tire requirements. How they contact the tire is also going to be different than a solid surface like rocks. The tire needs to conform to the shape of the rock, where as the mud and sand are going to conform to the shape of the tire. Snow is something completely different.

Regardless of the testing results I'm going to go for style first on mine. The F-100 needs tall narrow tires, the F-250 needs a wider tire. Having said that, both are currently running the same tire (size, brand, and model). About stock size on the F-250 (I think), oversize on the F-100. Measure about the equivalent of a 32x10. Next time around the F-100 might go taller, definitely more agressive on tread, and probably about the same width.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Watched that the other day. Good experiment for what he tested and his applications, but he missed and/or ignored a few things that I think are important.

1. Used the same wheel between different tire widths (315 & 255 Baja Boss). Putting the wider tire on the narrower wheel is going to affect contact patch, he should have used the wider tire on a wider wheel for more acurate test.

2. When he compared the two wide tires (315 Baja Boss and KM2) they appeared to be on different width wheels, plus the beadlock would affect how they are allowed to flex on respective wheel. Same width tire should be tested on same width wheel and same beadlock/nonbeadlock.

3. Compared worn/broken in tire against new tires. Broken in tire that's been run at low pressures is likely to have more flexability than a new tire. Adding the used KM2 skewed the data, should have compared all tires in same general condition.

4. Ignored terrain variables. To be fair he said from the start that this was about the surfaces he runs on which is rockly terrain. Mud, snow, and sand are going to have different tire requirements. How they contact the tire is also going to be different than a solid surface like rocks. The tire needs to conform to the shape of the rock, where as the mud and sand are going to conform to the shape of the tire. Snow is something completely different.

Regardless of the testing results I'm going to go for style first on mine. The F-100 needs tall narrow tires, the F-250 needs a wider tire. Having said that, both are currently running the same tire (size, brand, and model). About stock size on the F-250 (I think), oversize on the F-100. Measure about the equivalent of a 32x10. Next time around the F-100 might go taller, definitely more agressive on tread, and probably about the same width.
I found the video interesting and the feed back is appreciated.

For me, I'm kind of locked in unless I change rim sizes. I can't find anything more narrow than the 31X10.5R15s I'm running on the 2011 and I have to be real careful what I put on the 2019 due to clearance issues with the suspension on the 2019, which are about 31.5" if I throw 265/70R17s on it. And I don't want to lift either one of them.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you're set on keeping 15s for the 2011, I think the narrowest you can get is probably a 31x9.5. Interco makes some tires in some odd sizes you don;t find anywhere else, and they make the TSL in that size. Veryt agressive tread and probably not what I'd want to run on a street driven Ranger.

If you are willing to step up to a 16 and metric tire you can probably find more tires in the ~31" diameter ranger that are narrower and more suitable for a street driven truck with an AT tire.

I like using this site when I'm trying to figure out potential tire sizes and what is available for a given size. Probably doesn't show everything available, but covers a lot of whats out there.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's kinda why I didn't comment Josh, there was just too much tech with too little results I got bored with it but scanned across it anyway in little tidbits.
I actually decided a long time ago the widths all had their place, actually from a great uncle telling me about the Dallas-Houston highway, before they had highways, in many cases through East Texas was just some deep sand.
He told me about the big wide tired Buicks getting stuck, and the the skinny tire Model T's pulling them out, that was enough said for me

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Unfortunately in the world we live in scientific experts often reach a conclusion based on the narrative desired.
Too many variable were not addressed or were simply ignored. Rim width, terrain, tire compounds, even rim diameter.
X being a scientific factor for the unknown, and a spurt is a drip under pressure.
IMO.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That came across my feed a few days ago. But I didn't watch it. Glad to read everybody's take on ot here.

The real problem is that it takes some deep pockets to do a real ture comparison. When your talking about $800 on up for a set of tires, then add in different size wheels to keep the geometry right. Then you need equipment to miunt/dismount tires, or lots of money to have a shop do it. Then you need time, and even some assistants to go out and do the testing, trying different terrains, making sure you drive the same way each time, collecting and analyzing the data, blah, blah, blah.

It's very difficult for unsponsored amateurs to do meaningful tire comparisons.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Impossible to settle.

Way too many variables for a blanket statement of any kind.

You can test to your little hearts content and find the perfect tire for the terrain you are on at the moment. And then the sun comes out and dries the sand or it rains and everything is completely different.

Even fuel burn will effect balance and traction.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I'm pretty sure we can all agree for real world offroad performance sidewall is king over the rubber bands the bro dozers put on their useless things they call trucks...

I like the setup on my '90, 35x12.50-15 on 8" wide wheels, not the best at anything but works well for my needs

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My rule of thumb:

If there is a bottom under that mud or snow, = narrower is better (helps you dig down to that bottom for more traction)
If there is no hard bottom, = wide tire to help float on top of it as much as possible.
Sand = wide tire.
Rocks = narrow or a medium-width tire.

Select a tire that is based on what type of terrain is most prevalent in your area/terrain you most-frequently drive on.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My rule of thumb:

If there is a bottom under that mud or snow, = narrower is better (helps you dig down to that bottom for more traction)
If there is no hard bottom, = wide tire to help float on top of it as much as possible.
Sand = wide tire.

Select a tire that is based on what type of terrain is most prevalent in your area/terrain you most-frequently drive on.
All I ever do when I dig down to the bottom in snow is throw frozen dirt, I kinda think the theory is a little overhyped.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My rule of thumb:

Sand = wide tire.
At what depth do you decide the snow is too deep for narrow tires ?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
At what depth do you decide the snow is too deep for narrow tires ?
That’s more of a “time” than a “depth”. And the time is, right after you realize you’re hopelessly stuck and need a shovel and some ice melt and a tow truck.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have found that thinner tires do perform better in the ice and snow than wider tires. The type and tread pattern also makes a difference.

A few people I worked with had vehicles with wide tires that were absolutely horrible. The wide tires make great toboggans.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals