• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Andres629's 92 build

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Here's something for all you Ranger Stationers out there... Be careful when you use an angle grinder with a zip disc! I personally hate the guard, but use it anyway, here's why.

Not too bad, but the disc caught me juuuuust where there was no guard. Through 2 Carhartt layers and my long underwear, and it didn't even get me that hard. So let that be a lesson to all of you, ALWAYS make sure you have the guard installed, every preventative measure you can take, TAKE IT.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
dont forget your saftey glasses either! i had to have a piece of metal drilled out of my eye after it started to rust because i didnt want to tell anyone i got it in there (saftely glasses were mandatory at work). anyways the trucks looking good and i like the stock bed on it best. its not rusted out so why ditch it? i think flat beds belong on beat up work trucks or basterd frankenrangers, but thats just my opinion.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
dont forget your saftey glasses either! i had to have a piece of metal drilled out of my eye after it started to rust because i didnt want to tell anyone i got it in there (saftely glasses were mandatory at work). anyways the trucks looking good and i like the stock bed on it best. its not rusted out so why ditch it? i think flat beds belong on beat up work trucks or basterd frankenrangers, but thats just my opinion.
ya... ive been there it sucks epesially cause the hospital here sucks and they didnt wait for my eye to fully freeze
________
The Sanctuary of Truth Pattaya

Last edited:

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
+2 on the safety glasses. I wear glasses as it is, so usually that's just how I rock it 'cause I can't fit safety glasses over top.
Also agree on the stock bed, and it's going on as soon as I can find someone to help me lift it on there. :annoyed:

/edit: Also came up with a project name the other day. Project Red Sled. Too bad I can't change the thread name!:dunno:

Last edited:

ranger92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
lol i like the name, whats the matter you can't lift it on yourself? pansy

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
I lifted it off myself... don't really feel like doing it again. Haha :thefinger:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i used my engine hoist and some carefully placed tie down straps when i put mine on. i had the roll bar in the bed which made it alot front heavy, but i managed to get it on straight the first try. i like the name, every truck/ project has to have a name that is unique to its personality. i didnt come up with a name for mine (thumper) until it was almost driveable and even then im not sure if i want to carve it in stone (i do want to have a sticker made to put on my tailgate that is written in the ranger text though).

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
i used my engine hoist and some carefully placed tie down straps when i put mine on. i had the roll bar in the bed which made it alot front heavy, but i managed to get it on straight the first try. i like the name, every truck/ project has to have a name that is unique to its personality. i didnt come up with a name for mine (thumper) until it was almost driveable and even then im not sure if i want to carve it in stone (i do want to have a sticker made to put on my tailgate that is written in the ranger text though).
I wrapped a ratchet strap under the box rails, under the wheel wells all the way around and carried it on my back. Let me tell you, not fun! But thanks, I like the name too which I guess is why I decided to name it that. =P I want to get some die cut stickers in red that say "Red Sled" to go on my new bumper. I think you're totally correct that every project needs a name, it gives it more of a... sentiment. My trucks, to me, and I'm sure to most of the people who start projects, are more than just trucks. They're like my livelihood. Most extra time I have is spent improving or fixing my trucks, when I'm not riding bikes. So it's only natural that it gets a name!

On another note, thanks for the positive feedback, guys! Much appreciated. :icon_cheers:

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Well, not much progress on Project Red Sled, but Baby Blue got some attention today. New 2nd gen door panels to go with the baller ( :icon_rofl: ) seats and new dash pad. I think it looks pretty good, and the speakers fit underneath it well!

Before:

After:

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i cant wait to get to work (i guess re-work would be a better term) on my gen2, but first i need to finish paying for my last build. im wanting to make it into a sweet 2wd flat bed for hauling my bike or my girl friends quad (when i find the right deal on one) and also for general hauling of dirty things (engines, transmissions, drunken friends who puke alot), plus its got a 2.3 that i think wants to be rebuilt and turboed? anyway keep up with the good work and the visual updates.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
I can't wait to get to work on my gen 2 as well, but being laid off and now having to wait a month on my winter job really hurts the ol' pocketbook! But for the time being, the gen 1 DD is getting a little attention as it could use a few upgrades. Plus, I'm driving it all the time now, and there was no place to rest my arm! The rest/handle was broken, as most 1st gens get... haha!
Thanks though, and I HEAR you about the 2.3... I've got the 2.slow in this truck. Let me tell you, I'd even kill for the 2.9 again! Ha! I like to do a lot of visual updates 'cause they're the most interesting thing about a thread. Age old adage... a picture's worth a thousand words. Taking your lead on that, ForOffRoadDriving. I read all through your thread a while back and loved all the pictures, plus it was a good read.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
thanks, i try to document things well so that people who arent patient enough to read it all can just wait for the page to load and then follow the pictures and ignore the words (for the most part). we'll see how well thumper takes the michigan weather since were supposed to get snow this week (im expecting a few rust spots to pop up on the back of the cabs rocker panels by spring, but nothing too major i hope). i need to make a build thread for my little brothers stx soon, its almost identical to your except grey.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
I hear you on the snow front... luckily the 92 shouldn't have a whole pile of rust troubles this winter as it'll be in the garage most of it I'm sure. I've seen the STX on more than one occasion in Thumper's build thread. By the work you've done on Thumper, your brother is going to have one clean truck in the end!

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love Your truck! She is sharp a plenty. Tonight is the first time I have seen a large pic of her.
Sweet! Did the 92 Ranger come with a 2.9? I thought the 4.0 was an improved version (according to FO MO CO of the 2.9 from 90 up.... I thought the choices were 2.3, 3.0, and 4.0....

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, it came along side the 3.0 for two years. The 2.9 was discontinued in 92. I wish it had a 4.0, but I'd rather have the 2.9's bottom end over the 3.0! But thanks for the kind words, Multi. It really is a sharp looking truck, and I'm glad other people think so too. ...want to come up to Canada and repaint it for me, get rid of the rattlecan job on it? =P

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals