• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Andres629's 92 build

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, it came along side the 3.0 for two years. The 2.9 was discontinued in 92. I wish it had a 4.0, but I'd rather have the 2.9's bottom end over the 3.0! But thanks for the kind words, Multi. It really is a sharp looking truck, and I'm glad other people think so too. ...want to come up to Canada and repaint it for me, get rid of the rattlecan job on it? =P
Shoot bring it down here and let's paint that bad boy with some good ole Georgia red mud for a day or two then we can lay some PPG on it!

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Hahaha, well maybe some day! But until that day comes, I'll just keep spray bombing it.
Speaking of which, Multi, I've decided that I am going to take autobody in school. I'm only 20, and finally made up my mind on what I want to do for a career, for at least a little while. Hoping I can one day sling paint like you can! Red Sled will be my first project. =]

rocks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How much did you rearch the chevy springs?

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
LOTS.
I re-arched them to 13" camber. Gives me a little room for settling.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hahaha, well maybe some day! But until that day comes, I'll just keep spray bombing it.
Speaking of which, Multi, I've decided that I am going to take autobody in school. I'm only 20, and finally made up my mind on what I want to do for a career, for at least a little while. Hoping I can one day sling paint like you can! Red Sled will be my first project. =]
Thanks Bud! I took 2 years of Autobody class starting back in 1986... Honestly I learned a little but I learned more working as a bodyman's helper at a Ford dealer... I did body work for a while then I taught myself how to lay paint down and quit doing body work and became a painter... Then I discovered I could make more being a combo man and do both body and paint..Most of what I know about body work I learned by listening in on other bodymen talk about how they were going to fix something... I bet you will become a great Bodyman / Painter. If you need help or advise let me know.. I will give you all I can. :icon_welder:

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Well, got around to doing some painting today. Brought the box into the garage, sanded 'er down (by hand, I might add!) and slung some paint. All rattle can work, too. So far, just pictures of finished sanding and primer, none of the process nor finished paint product as it is still drying.

This good enough prep work, multi?!

Now some primer action!

Will have some finished product pictures up today or tomorrow. Love having a heater in the garage, and nice mild weather!

ranger92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
you might want to go back over a couple spots, there is a i can see too of the clear protective decals that you painted over, might want to peel the sticker off :p

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I left those on there, just roughed 'em up and painted over them. With no mud flaps it kicks up a bunch of rocks and this just helps to prevent rock chips and then corrosion due to rock chips.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Well, made some headway in the last few days. Got the box painted up (no pictures as of yet), got a couple bucket seats and a center console, got a new rear window in and made my headliner custom! Here's a few pics of some stuff.
Window:

Yeah, I'm reppin' TRS. =]

Ooooh, custom!

No pictures yet of the buckets and console, as I am in the process of trying to recover the cloth armrest in the same material as the headliner.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Well... a little update for all you following this... got the truck back together, took it apart again and put in some 4.56 gears! Also had to put the 3" lift block back under the springs to get 'er level. SO much travel now, though! Also swapped in an Explorer 8.8, so let me know what y'all think! Still need to repaint the cab/tailgate. Haha.

Ran out of jack with a 2' long piece of 6"x6" lumber testing the drop travel! As you can see, it's up almost level with my buddies head. Holy dang! :icon_surprised:

There's what the leaves look like at full-ish droop.

FLEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXX.

STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFFFFFFFFFED.

blue88b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Nice rig, I like the plaid!

-Jas

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks man! Yeah, she's a work in progress.

94Rangeron37s

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just scanned through your build looks good. But I was curious to why you decided to go with a the shackle flip instead of leaving it the way they are stock. you could get more lift out of the back with leaving the shackle mount the way they come factory with those longer shackles you have.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Just scanned through your build looks good. But I was curious to why you decided to go with a the shackle flip instead of leaving it the way they are stock. you could get more lift out of the back with leaving the shackle mount the way they come factory with those longer shackles you have.
Yep, you're right, I could have gotten more lift with the Chev 63" springs for sure. I flipped them mainly due to the amount of drop travel you get from a flipped shackle. With the flipped shackle, you gain more articulation than lift, which is exactly what I was going for. I knew with the long shackle I'd be losing buttloads of lift, which is why I got the springs re-arched. I don't want the truck to be any higher than it is now, so this worked out perfect. Thanks for your input man, I appreciate it!

94Rangeron37s

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yep, you're right, I could have gotten more lift with the Chev 63" springs for sure. I flipped them mainly due to the amount of drop travel you get from a flipped shackle. With the flipped shackle, you gain more articulation than lift, which is exactly what I was going for. I knew with the long shackle I'd be losing buttloads of lift, which is why I got the springs re-arched. I don't want the truck to be any higher than it is now, so this worked out perfect. Thanks for your input man, I appreciate it!
that is some good info right there i never would of looked at it that way. since both my ranger and the b2 im building had them the other way. Im going to have to look into that now since im working on a new project that im not so much worried about a ton of lift but id like quite a bit of flex.

Keep up the good work ill be checking back for more updates..:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals