• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco 2.9 Starter problems

d9n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks about the plate info. I do have that so that's a relief I'm not missing a spacer.
Tonight I put a new starter on it and starts better then before (no high pitch grinding sound). I'll give it a year and see what happens.
While under the truck I chased the ground cables, one runs from the battery to the eng block and another runs from the eng block to the frame. Consistance building on the Ford line at it's best.

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
No problem. Well this things been rigged pretty bad soo... and I got a new starter to go on...hope this works

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Gents
what you maybe experiencing is poor workmanship/quality on rebuilt starters....hence why auto parts stores offer different levels....rebuilt 1yr warranty ...limited lifetime....and forever and of course new life time warranty.

not to say the poor battery cables didn't aid the life expectancy situation...so you can spend a little or a lot....just don't be surprised when economical replacement parts fail early...the old addage you get what you pay for...and keep the receipt

d9n

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes, I agree with you that you get what you pay for.
1st starter came with truck, no idea what it was but it last 6 months. Starter #2 I bought, life time warranty, lasted two weeks.
Starter # 3 exchange unit and lasted just over a year.
Starter #4 I just bought, one year warranty and makes the least amount of noise of all I've had on the truck. Makes no sense.
One thing I was wondering last night as I put it on, I have headers that are about 1-1/2 to 2 inches away. Would you think the headers are making enough heat to effect the starter?
By the way, thanks Josh.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
yes, I agree with you that you get what you pay for.
1st starter came with truck, no idea what it was but it last 6 months. Starter #2 I bought, life time warranty, lasted two weeks.
Starter # 3 exchange unit and lasted just over a year.
Starter #4 I just bought, one year warranty and makes the least amount of noise of all I've had on the truck. Makes no sense.
One thing I was wondering last night as I put it on, I have headers that are about 1-1/2 to 2 inches away. Would you think the headers are making enough heat to effect the starter?
By the way, thanks Josh.
it would seem that there is enough room....but might not hurt to rig a heat shield up of some kind...considering the amount of starter issues you've had.

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
ok got the new lifetime starter. Plate wasn't sitting flush with the trans so I got out my bfh...Starter in and it cranks! most of the time< sometimes seems like it's binding. Started up, ran for about 15 sec..and now it won't start! Ahh!

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Oh and your welcome..I think it could be an alignment issue..Check that plate really close. I think that's what gives the most problems...just a guess tho

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
:bawling:This one lasted a few days and now it just spins....

Dont know what to do:icon_confused:

loneranger48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L of FUry!
Transmission
Manual
is your flywheel intact and in good conidition?

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah man, at this point I'd look into checking that flywheel/flex plate. It could be missing some teeth or be bent, or possibly even loose.

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
idk the teeth all look fine i dnt get it. I'm replacig the solenoid and cables and another starter to see what happens now...The flywheel doesn't feel loose and if it as bent I'd have a bad vibration when running, right?

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
check the bolts holding the engine to the transmission, I have had a transmission try to remove itself before and it was doing the sort of thing that you describe.

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'll double check that. Thanks

Arlo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Same problem with my 1989 Bronco II. Started grinding after clutch was replaced. New starter latest for about 5 starts then started grinding. I loosened starter mounting bolts and shoved starter closer to flywheel (Lot of slop in mounting bolts) and started working, for about 3 grind free starts. I suspect the mechanic did not use the correct mounting bolts when starter put back in. Since then I had an idiot run a stop sign and destroy the BII front end which I am currently rebuilding. But am currently thinking of the best way to hold that starter tight agains flywheel. Aluminum bellhousing and cheap metal in mounting tabs on starter doesn't help. But I am sure it is a mechanical proximity to flywheel problem. It is a standard and I always parked on a hill to start it.

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Same problem with my 1989 Bronco II. Started grinding after clutch was replaced. New starter latest for about 5 starts then started grinding. I loosened starter mounting bolts and shoved starter closer to flywheel (Lot of slop in mounting bolts) and started working, for about 3 grind free starts. I suspect the mechanic did not use the correct mounting bolts when starter put back in. Since then I had an idiot run a stop sign and destroy the BII front end which I am currently rebuilding. But am currently thinking of the best way to hold that starter tight agains flywheel. Aluminum bellhousing and cheap metal in mounting tabs on starter doesn't help. But I am sure it is a mechanical proximity to flywheel problem. It is a standard and I always parked on a hill to start it.
the best way is just replace the trans with a newer mazda M50D transmission with the integral bell housing, these mitsu 145 and 146's and the TK 5's tend to give a lot of problems, or you can get bolts with a larger shoulder on them to actually fit the mounting ear's in the starter, also I remember another member here stating that he used a small piece of sheet metal jammed between the outer section of the bell housing and the starter to help hold the start toward the flywheel

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals