• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cragar Mag Master from 1974

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As many here know, I purchased a set of ancient Cragar Mag Master rims from another member here. They appear to have been manufactured in 1974, as there is some number stamped on the back, most of which is goblety-gook, but the last two digits are 74. They were only made form 74 to 78. Another member here apparently contacted Cragar (I didn't know they were still around), and they have no recollection of making these rims. Also stamped on the back is Made In Mexico, in 1974 (Gee, whodathunkit?).

The rims have slotted holes for the studs. And they are installed with washers with an offset hole, for the 5 x 4.5 and 5 x 5 spacing. Another washer set with centered holes covers 5 x 4.75. They're kind of finnicky to install. I found it easiest to start with the lowest hole, as this keeps the washer in proper orientation, with the meat of the washer hanging down and the hole closest to the center. Once I got them installed, I drove it. Perfectly smooth, no vibration at all.

The front rims are 14 x 7. The rears are 14 x 8.5. The front tires are Mastercraft Avenger GT's in 215/70-14. The rears are BF Goodrich TA Radials, in 245/60-14. They're like .40 shorter than the tires I had on it before, and along with the 4.10 gears in the axle, are causing a 10% higher speedometer and odometer reading. I can live with it. For now leastways.

When I first got these rims, they were pretty tatty. They had some kind of clear coat on them that had deteriorated with age. Took me almost a month, with various grades of emery cloth, from 180 to 400, then course red scotchbrite, and finally fine green scotchbrite. and followed with two coats of Turtle Was Super Hard Shell. That is what you see here.

The rims came with four smooth center caps, and one original Cragar center cap, that is pretty tatty. My intention is to replace the caps with knock off spinners, with CRAGAR center decals. And copying my friends 2018 Shelby AC Cobra (registered as a 1965), the spinners will be safety wired, for appearance sake only. LOL!!
00029.JPG
00030.JPG
00031.JPG
00032.JPG
00033.JPG
00034.JPG
00035.JPG
00036.JPG
00037.JPG

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The tires protrude a bit more than I care for. Can anyone tell me, do the fender flares from the Edge variant fit any old Ranger? I think I am going to want to flare these puppies. Also on the lookout for a new front bumper, it's kind of showing it's age. Maybe some smoked headlights, to make the entire front end black?

qorray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
225/60/15
My credo
ODAAT
Great write up, work done is apparently well done given the rims age and condition when bought. Rims are almost 50 years old!!!!!! Truck looks really good, 1 of 1 specially with those rims. Q

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Damn those look good

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Yeap, that's well applied elbow grease. Good show.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Funny. Been using the word tatty a bit lately. Thought it was something I made up. Nope. Worn out, frayed, shabby. LOL! Whole truck looks that way up close and personal. Will be doing some work on it to try and improve it this year. The grill is new. Ordered it black, came chrome. No one would paint it. So I found one of those shops that does vinyl wraps, and the result is what you see. Paint won't even respond to wax any longer. But when applying shine stuff to the black parts, I see that it deepens the paint BIGLY. So, I rubbed the entire truck down with it. Turned out pretty okay. Then it rained and hailed last night, and it all washed off. LOL!! Nah, no damage. It was nickel and dime size stuff. Didn't even break any of the plastic on the hood.

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking I might want to lower this thing two inches. I know the back is done with longer shackles, just like I did my Lightning. What's the best way to do the front? Spindles or lowering springs? And where do I source such parts.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Longer shackles would lift the ranger.

Spindles are definitely preferred over springs, a quick Google would turn up whatever options are available. Pick as reputable of a brand as you can.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not true. Since the axle is under the springs, longer shackles are the only way to lower it. Same as my Lightning. I put two inch longer shackles on it, and dropped it about 1.5 inches. Wanting to put JLP four inch longer shackles on it though. Longer shackles raise the rear end of the spring closer to the bed, thus the wheels rise further up in the wheel wells. They get real close to the bottom of the bed.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Longer shackles would lift the ranger.

Spindles are definitely preferred over springs, a quick Google would turn up whatever options are available. Pick as reputable of a brand as you can.
Ends up you are correct. I hadn't looked at the spring / shackle orientation on my Ranger I just thought it was the same as my F-150. So, apparently that eliminates being able to lower it. Guess I'll be happy with how it is now. A good friend of mine said it looks good just as it is. so there's that.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
if you do a shackle flip longer shackles would lower the back of the truck but you cant go too long or you run into the bottom side of the bed. I googled “rear shckle flip” and one of the results was a rangerstation tech article on using chevy 64” springs & doing a shackle flip, this is a picture from that article.
889EBD54-B88B-437D-8B64-F04F02E9FBBD.jpeg

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That is what my Lightning shackle/spring arrangement looks like.

Looks like some cutting and welding is involved. Kind of over my head, don't have the equipment.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
full size trucks always had the rear shackle set up that way, rangers the other way, not sure why. I dont think theres any real difference in strength or operation. Personally if I wanted to lower the rear end Id use a spring under axle setup.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
That is what my Lightning shackle/spring arrangement looks like.

Looks like some cutting and welding is involved. Kind of over my head, don't have the equipment.
not really, drill or grind the rivet heads off, punch them out. replace with grade 8 flanged bolts/nuts.
I have replaced the mounts with the bed on.

nice truck & wheels :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals