• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cragar Mag Master from 1974

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So, if I were to do the above, and flip the shackles, why do I need to run GM springs?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Rascan beat me to it. Ranger spring hangers are mounted differently than the F150. Longer shackles on a Ranger will lift the Ranger instead of dropping it. I don't think a flipped hanger will clear the floor of the bed on a Ranger. Something custom would have to be built.

47str8leg

Reaction score
Hey guys , won’t bother you with an introduction because I’ll never be back lol !!!
Anyway I just happened to be talking to my 15 year old son about Crager Magmaster wheels when I came across your post. Most people had them on vans and trucks back in the day with big white letter tires. I much prefered them over the S/S mags everyone was running with the cheap chrome job which started peeling off after a year.
So I put them on my ‘68 GTO and turned the letters around for blackwalls. Thought it made the car much tougher ( pic is from the mid-80’s). Actually pretty hard to find a set these days, especially with the center caps. Love to find a set of 14X7’s &14x8’s for a Ford or Chevy. Good job , truck looks great !!!
Tim M. Long Island,N.Y. .
3B02183A-E439-4A56-8822-6296ED2BD75E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

qorray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
225/60/15
My credo
ODAAT
Sounds like you sold the car? Very nice GTO. These were on a 1970 Chevelle SS convertible, as per the guy who sold them to me. Yes they are rare, CBXER55 has a very very nice set now on his Ranger. Those caps are a unicorn, someone somewhere has a set of NOS just sitting in a garage attic. These went to the right guy for sure... Q

47str8leg

Reaction score
Bought it in 1980 for $250.00 , sold it in 1993. I was still waiting for the rear spoiler, hood tach , and nostrils to come back from paint at the time.
Yes, he should hold on to them for sure. Never liked other company’s slots like Ansen’s.

qorray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
225/60/15
My credo
ODAAT
I don't have a pic of the Chevelle, the guy I got them off of had some crazy cars and drag boats. Man if you had that 68 that would be worth some $$$, GTO are hot. This set was my first slots, but I'm no stranger to other uni-lug rims. Yes these were my favorites till I sold them...

47str8leg

Reaction score
It’s all good. I traded in cars for Harleys after 93. . Have a ‘41 knuckle ,57&63pan choppers so I’m happy. Bikes take up less room ! Just can’t fit a magmaster on one.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinking I might want to lower this thing two inches. I know the back is done with longer shackles, just like I did my Lightning. What's the best way to do the front? Spindles or lowering springs? And where do I source such parts.
Nobody makes drop spindles for Rangers. You can lower the front with 2" or 3" drop springs, or 2" DJM control arms (which can be combined with the drop springs if you want to get even lower).

In the rear you can do the "shackle flip" mentioned already, or if you want a bolt in option you can do the DJM 3" drop which is a flip kit and lift shackles.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for checking in 47str8leg. Stick around and help me keep this thread alive. LOL!! Kind of figured a stranger might stumble on this thread and maybe, hopefully, join just to say a few words on their history. A friend of mine at work, showed me the thread on his phone yesterday. He stumbled upon it too. He is big on home made ratrods. He is looking for some center caps for some Eagle Saw Blade rims for a project.

Nice GTO. And that pic tells me a lot about what I thought they looked like when practically new. They don't shine due to the clear coat that is on them. Mine shine now. Just got a set of knock off spinners in yesterday. I will get them on either one day this week, or next weekend. Still looking for a set of Cragar decals for the center. I emailed them, got no response.

I looked up slotted mags and got several hits. US Mag, American Racing. None of them look near as good as the Cragar's do. They go from vertical at the hub area, and swoop down in a nice curve to horizontal at the rim. Some of the others seem too "angular" to me. I don't like them. I wouldn't buy any of them. The rear rims, you can definitely tell they are wider than the fronts. The fronts are 7, the backs 8.5, with the 1.5 split evenly inside and out. So 3/4 of an inch, but you can see it. The slots are longer, and the center cap sits in further.

So far, I have left the surface inside the slots just as I got them. Makes for a nice two tone affect. I was thinking of painting them in there, but do believe I will just leave them as is. Doesn't look bad at all.

Truck is a little worse for the wear than the pics make it out to be. But I am working on it. Just swapped out the Roush Mustang hood scoop for a Boss 429 look-a-like. Looks bad ass. Now working on a raised center of the hood in front of the scoop. And will be replacing the four outlet plastic heat extractors with carbon fiber five outlet pieces. Looking for a hood tach that is compatible with a six cylinder. Most are only to be used on 8's. If I can't find one, I will make something of my own design.

I have zero intention of ever selling them. :cool:

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Want to know about some vehicles worth a lot of money? Guy here I know has a 70 Plymouth Barracuda convertible, hemi four speed. Original owner. He also has a white 70 Plymouth Superbird, that last time I saw it at a local car show, had 51,000 miles on the odometer. Just damn!!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cragar must have been ahead of Bill Clintstone and NAFTA. These rims have a long number code, the last two digits being 74. So it's my assumption they were made the first year of producion.

The other thing stamped on the back is Made in Mexico. In 1974. HAHA!!!

Gee. Who'da thunk it!

Last edited:

47str8leg

Reaction score
Those mags were already a few years old when that pick was taken. They did have a high chrome like shine to them when new. I would not paint the insides of them. The 7&8.5 rims are perfect. Mine were actually 8.5” all around with Big Boss HR-60-15’s on it. Biggest front tires ever on a 60’s muscle car lol !!! It did look beefy. Had to clearance the front wheel wells a bit for that !!! Ahh the things we do when we’re young ...Either way there is a hemi-convertible challenger around here too. Original owner from Queen’s I believe. What are they $1,000,000 now ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals