• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cragar Mag Master from 1974

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got these in Monday. Last time I had these, the center stud could not make up it's mind whether to stay in the pedestal or the spinner. So, I threaded them fully into the spinners, put a drop of red Loktite on the threads and screwed them into the pedestal. Hour later, the spinners came off leaving the stud behind. Going to put a coat of wax on them today, then wait out Mother Nature. Looks like a stormy pattern ahead for a few days, including the weekend. DRATS!!
00039.JPG

00038.JPG

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Str8, if you like my Ranger, take a look at my other truck. Here's a link to a bunch of pics. It has 6.5 rims up front, 12.5 rear. 215/60's and 345/35's. The stock rims are 9.5. These were sent to Weldcraft Wheels in Michigan. Had them remove three inches from two, and put that three inches in the other two. Result, looks like stock, but they aren't.

qorray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
225/60/15
My credo
ODAAT
Beautiful..... I'm happy to hear that you'll never sell them. Good luck to any one finding another set of Cragar MagMaster rims in this condition. I'm currently doing my head gasket as previous owner probably over heated motor at some point and I had a cracked head. Good project for me!!! Doing just the top end instead of a full rebuild since my 1997 only has 123,000 miles on it. I'm a little bit further than 1/2 way done, work is busy and keeping me from finishing faster. Gives me a chance to bond with my 6 speed manual FJ, but hate the gas mileage daily driver this truck gets. Keep up the good work. Cory

Attachments

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I get a lot of "you need to lower it." There's no easy way to lower a Ranger the little I would want to do. No more than two inches. But flipping the axle or shackles is going to be too much, at least for me. So, I'll live with it as is.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I get a lot of "you need to lower it." There's no easy way to lower a Ranger the little I would want to do. No more than two inches. But flipping the axle or shackles is going to be too much, at least for me. So, I'll live with it as is.
Explorer Rear end will drop the rear 4"-5", with 2" lift blocks on that , it will have you lowered about 2-3". You still have to figure out the front end though, since you don't have the torsion Bar suspension

qorray

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
225/60/15
My credo
ODAAT
Wow those are cool, can't believe the unicorn caps are still out there. Crazy thing is the caps "could" be worth that asking price by themselves!!!! Ive thought the same thing CBXER55 on lowering my truck, I can do it but do I really want to do it??? I'm leaving mine alone for now also. Got my new heads finally installed and intake, torque sequence is crazy on these 4.0 OHV motors!!!

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Explorer Rear end will drop the rear 4"-5", with 2" lift blocks on that , it will have you lowered about 2-3"
Where do you put lift blocks when the springs are under rear end?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Where do you put lift blocks when the springs are under rear end?
Yeah they got the mafs a little off there. Adding "lift" blocks to an axle flip in a Ranger will lower it more. What is needed is extended shackles, that will raise it. Explorer leaf springs will too.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Flipping the axle is 4-5 inches and I can understand that being too much.

Flipping the rear hanger is about two inches. They also offer a little short shackles now that could bring that back up a bit after flipping the hanger, or a 1" lift block could be used. Just throwing out the options.

I personally would have to do one or the other if it were my truck, but it isn't.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Two inches I could live with. But how to lower the front to match?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Lowering springs? I would also consider possibly using drop beams, then a washer spring lift like the 4x4 would use.

Are the springs original? If so they have probably sagged over time. You could probably install best with NEW stock springs and net 2" drop.

Personally I'd just go shoot for a 3/4 drop. 3" beams in front and what ever got me to between 3 and 5 inches in rear. Raked or level is good for me, just no squatting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals