• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cruise Control kit, where can I get one?

Fritz1

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06/00 (2000)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've got a year 2000 Ranger 3.0 with 5-speed manual tranny. Anyway, as I drive along on these highways around here, I'm having it tough to keep from speeding and/or annoying the cars behind by slowing down. I need a cruise control. This pickup, is a pleasure to drive, but I can't keep the speed in the correct zone. There is no hint on the dash that it ever had a cruise control, yet the Haynes manual I have suggests there is one. The cruise device should be mounted on right fender, not there. There should be a 2nd cable on the throttle, there isn't. But of course, it suggests I take it to a dealership, (assholes). Why should I buy their service book if they're going to tell me to take it to a dealership? Maybe I should ask for a refund? The book does mention a speed sensor mounted on the differential, but it also mentions a gear-driven thing on the transmission. I don't see why a cruise control would need two speed inputs? I remember decades ago putting magnets on the drive-shaft. I haven't found a kit yet for that.
Anyway, I'm hoping someone can point me to a kit that will utilize my existing wire-harness and supply the needed hardware. Maybe someone on this forum has done this before?
I'm supposing I'll need to put a switch on the clutch-pedal and a switch on the brake-pedal to disable the speed-control during shifting and braking.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If your truck ever had had cruise, the control buttons would have been on the steering wheel beside the air bag.

Fritz1

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06/00 (2000)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the replies. Concerning Rostra 250-1223, I found an install description where the installer used pin#58 from the "PCM"? I'll have to assume he meant Powertrain Control Module? Is that VSS(vehical speed sensor) installed on my truck?
I'm also wondering about the many suppliers who make replacement controls that mount on the steering wheel just like factory supplied switches. Will they interface with the Rostra universal cruise control?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here's a diagram attached. Yes, #58 is the speed sensor.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
It looks like the original system is like the older cruise systems Ford made. They used a resistance system, the brain of the cruise in the servo detects the different voltages sent over a wire from the switches through the resistors, and knows what function you have selected. I doubt the aftermarket system used this method.

Fritz1

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06/00 (2000)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the drawings. There seems to be nothing similar in my Haynes worthless manual. Maybe a Chilton's manual will be more informative. I have motor manuals from the sixties that were like 4" thick and had every detail you could want.

Fritz1

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06/00 (2000)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Is the VSS installed on my truck? Does it have another purpose than just cruise control? I haven't found a picture of it so I don't know what to look for.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
If you find cruise from a sinilar year ranger or explorer in the junkyard, i believe you can put that on

Fritz1

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06/00 (2000)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That's a great idea, thanks

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I added it to mine, it was pretty straightforward.

However with mine (circa 1985) there was just a wire that went to the PCM to tell it the system was on. Otherwise it was pretty standalone and the actual control of the throttle is vacuum operated.

Newer ones are all electronic and I foresee a lot of potential snags with with it.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I think there is insyrucrions in the tech area for adding cruise from a junkyard truck to ones own truck

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the drawings. There seems to be nothing similar in my Haynes worthless manual. Maybe a Chilton's manual will be more informative. I have motor manuals from the sixties that were like 4" thick and had every detail you could want.
Chilton and Haynes are the same company today. I've seen this myself, so be warned: the Chilton manual for a vehicle could be just the Haynes manual repackaged with the same text and pictures.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Is the VSS installed on my truck? Does it have another purpose than just cruise control? I haven't found a picture of it so I don't know what to look for.
The vss goes many different places depending on the year and the options. In 2000, you most likely have a ABS and the vss goes to that. It also goes to the engine computer. And your later truck most likely does not have a speedo cable. So the vss also goes to the speedometer in the cluster.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals