• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cruise Control kit, where can I get one?

Fritz1

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06/00 (2000)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Oh no! I just wasted $35 on a Chilton's manual! I already wasted $50 on a Haynes. You think the electrical schematics in the Chiltons will include or supplement what another person here posted?
My truck has a mechanical odometer, but I don't know how it gets driven. I had just assumed it used a cable. I should probably look at the firewall and see If there is a cable poking into it. I think I'll wait for a dry day.
BTW, there are no u-pull-it junkyards anywhere near here anymore. They told me the insurance got too expensive so as of 2024, they only scrap, no more parts sales. Now does that suck or what?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The diagrams I posted were from Chiltons online. And it's free. You simply go to your local library and get a library card. Most librarys have online services. And some have a automotive repair section. Just sign in online with your library card and you can get info for free. Some of it is good, some of it not.

Chiltons and Haynes assume you are already a mechanic, so they simply hit the highlights and have the specs. On the other hand, when it gets to something more serious, they say "this is not recommended for home repair". So you are still stuck sometimes. But it is better than nothing. If you want a automatic transmisson teardown, or want to work on your A/C system, they will not help you with that. It is aggravating.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@Fritz1
I'm assuming your profile is correct i.e. your Ranger is '00

99% of '00 Rangers are prewired for cruise. You can tell is yours is if it has the cruise module connector on the passengers fender well - I'll take some pictures tomorrow (dark already here).

You need 2 parts (maybe 3).
1. The controls on the steering wheel. (It requires removing air bag, so you will want to disconnect battery for that part) I have at least one that I can send you for shipping costs.
2. The cruise module/cable. Local PnP for sure has some - for cost (including shipping), I can send you one. Note: Same module for all RBV, all engines
Optional 3. Different linkage on the throttle (never seen different one, but this Ford). 3.0 on might take some time - they're getting rare.

I've added cruise to at least 3 '98-00 Rangers with just the 2 parts.

p.s. The write up in the tech pages is for when you don't have pre-wire (and older truck)

p.p.s. Found the better one:

Last edited:

Fritz1

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06/00 (2000)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I didn't find a speedometer cable going through the firewall so I'll have to surmise the odometer has an electrical drive. Well, maybe the cable is under the floor?

Thanks for the pictures! Item 1.1 is not on the right fender and the orange switch on the master brake cylinder is not there. There does seem to be a sensor below the reservoir in the middle of the cylinder, maybe same function?
The autowrecker 150 miles away said they would ship me the parts, so I'm stuck waiting for two packages.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The sensor below the reservoir is the differential pressure switch - it comes on in case of brake failure - e.g. burst line (well, in theory, if failure is imminent).

You won't have cable through the firewall. It was all electronic by '98 (Odometer might still be manual, but it is driven by and electric motor, not a cable).

If you don't have the connector 1.1 on the passenger fender well, your would be on of the 1% not pre-wired for cruise (1% is still over 3,000 trucks). And its much bigger exercise to add.

And you need the master cylinder with the hole tapped for the cruise disable when brakes applied sensor.

The bigger one - either the GEM (Generic Electrical Module) and/or PCM (Powertrain Control Module) probably aren't programmed for cruise if the truck isn't wired. So, even just adding modules/sensors/controls isn't going to get you working.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I didn't find a speedometer cable going through the firewall so I'll have to surmise the odometer has an electrical drive. Well, maybe the cable is under the floor?
Kinda neither here nor there but my cable enters the cab in the floor/firewall down by the pedals. Yours shouldn't have a cable though.

Fritz1

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06/00 (2000)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well darn! Guess I'll have to wait for the mailman and see what he brings. Sounds like I wasted a couple hundred buck$.
I've got two cables that come through the firewall, one to the right of the steering column seems to be for the hood and one below the pedals I suspect is the parking brakes. Nothing that looks to be a speedo cable found so far.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well darn! Guess I'll have to wait for the mailman and see what he brings. Sounds like I wasted a couple hundred buck$.
I've got two cables that come through the firewall, one to the right of the steering column seems to be for the hood and one below the pedals I suspect is the parking brakes. Nothing that looks to be a speedo cable found so far.
Here is mine, just left of the accelerator pedal with the big grommet.

Last edited:

Fritz1

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06/00 (2000)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Guess I should crawl under and look up! Hey, did anyone tell you there's a hole in your floor? Thanks

Thought I'd add some photos of my 1% build year 2000 rig. It might be so unusual that other people could want to see. Other pertinent info: the 11th character in my vin is a"P". Does that mean it was built-in St.Paul? and the month of build was 06/00.

Attachments

Last edited:

Fritz1

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06/00 (2000)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Last week before I discovered this route probably wouldn't work I called this wrecking yard that's about 200 miles away and asked for the parts to put the cruise control onto my year 2000 3.0L Ranger. I told them I would need the cable module with cables that connect it to the PCM and throttle mechanism. And I would need the electronic control switches and cables that are on the steering wheel.

This is what came today, should I be angry? The throttle mount looks broken, there's no electrical cable and the cruise controls on the steering wheel are completely missing, not even the hardware screws to mount them with. Having never seen what this stuff should look like, I'm feeling abit screwed over. How could this not be intentional?
I'll be driving past there next week. It was a phone transaction, so I'm sure it will come to a word game. Can anyone send a photo of what I should have received so I'll know what it looks like?

Attachments

Fritz1

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06/00 (2000)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey, thanks for sharing the nicely made video showing how to add Cruise to an '80's truck. Not really what I'm needing, but it did include some useful tips to think about. I was wanting to know what the 2000 3.0L hardware actually looks like. I'm going to install that "Rostra" unit since the factory unit won't interface to my Ranger without changing a whole lot of other parts. But since I'm going to be driving by the junkyard place next week, I'll stop in and share my piece of mind with the jerks and probably get arrested, (I'm Irish with a bad temper). I'm going to first try to politely ask for a refund, since the parts they sent were obviously incorrect and broken and also since I've found out the parts won't do me any good anyway. I've got the 1% Ranger that never included cruise anywhere in the build.

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
But since I'm going to be driving by the junkyard place next week, I'll stop in and share my piece of mind with the jerks and probably get arrested, (I'm Irish with a bad temper).
Here ya go . . .

get-out-of-jail-free DS.jpg

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I knew it was for an older truck, but still somethings are bound to extend to the newer trucks and maybe a tip or two in there.

My truck does have some wiring in it but I still have not found all the information I need to add mine but it is a start.

Good luck with the junk yard. They may only exchange or give credit. Also like one friend told me, it depends on what kind of mood they wake up in. One day I am their best friend and the next is like I pissed them off.

I went to one yard and swore I would never go there again. One day they did have a rare part I needed and you would think I was their best friend. Who knows any more.

Fritz1

Firefighter
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06/00 (2000)
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
:) good tips. I got that 1% made trucks. I was hoping to interface to the computer by just adding a couple parts, but it appears I'll also need a different computer and master brake cylinder and a bunch of other unknown as yet stuff. Rostra will be cheaper.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals