• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ford 2.3 crankshaft position sensor

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
no 2 way radios. it bucks and snorts going down the road in any gear. last week, we had a few cold mornings, and it didnt do it at all, all the way to work. then it started doing it all the time. yesterday it stalled on me in the driveway and would not restart. whirled over just perfect but no fire. let it sit for 20 minutes, started right up but still had surging and misfires through the rev range. coil packs are brand new and so is tfi module. at first i treated it as a fuel problem because it acted like a lot of water in the gas. but i went through 2 tanks of gas and many cans of dry gas. it has 260,000 miles so i dont expect it to run perfect. it doesnt smoke or use oil though.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
no 2 way radios. it bucks and snorts going down the road in any gear. last week, we had a few cold mornings, and it didnt do it at all, all the way to work. then it started doing it all the time. yesterday it stalled on me in the driveway and would not restart. whirled over just perfect but no fire. let it sit for 20 minutes, started right up but still had surging and misfires through the rev range. coil packs are brand new and so is tfi module. at first i treated it as a fuel problem because it acted like a lot of water in the gas. but i went through 2 tanks of gas and many cans of dry gas. it has 260,000 miles so i dont expect it to run perfect. it doesnt smoke or use oil though.
when you say TFI moduel.......do you mean the ICM=ignition control module..............
*it never hurts to change the fule filter and do a fuel pressure test if you have the gauge

Last edited:

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yes, the module on the side of the intake. used to be on the side of distributors. fuel filter has been changed twice and fp regulator.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
yes, the module on the side of the intake. used to be on the side of distributors. fuel filter has been changed twice and fp regulator.
are you talking about the tps throttle positioning sensor.attached to the throttle body

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
no, the "ignition control module", formerly known as the tfi module.

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
tfi = THICK FILM IGNITION.

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
same module that used to be mounted on side of distributor engines. my 85 tempo, and 89 grand marquis used to eat them up due to where they were located. way too hot! in 94 ford made an extended harness so they could be mounted in the airstream for better cooling on thunderbird/cougar 3.8 and 4.6 engines. this is the harness all aftermarket builders recommend

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if this was my truck this is what I would do....I would disconnect the camshsft sensor. it should still run pretty well. I also would do a fuel pressure test. it takes only 15 minutes and it will let you eliminate that issue.......if those don't solve the issue you might consider changing the crank sensor........ I have never done it but i believe you have to pulll the harmonic balancer off.......you should change the timing belt while you are at it............also do you recall if those 2 codes the 211 and 214 where there before all this stuff happened........just thinking maybe the ICM you got was defective?

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
ok i will. what do i need to do a fuel pressure test?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
ok i will. what do i need to do a fuel pressure test?
please answer my question form the other post............you need a fuel pressure gauge..I bought my chaep one at harbor freight for $20.........you can get an Actron for about $45or borrow one from a autozone...............................one thing you can try is next time it will not start.........carefully put a rag over the shrader valve and release the pressure..see what you got..........you also could pour some gas in the tb or spray starter fluid next time it will not start.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
that was an expensive crank sensor... haha.
actually, it wasn't... all were junkyard parts, all but the crank sensor I had in my garage... which is why I tried them first.

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
last 2 times i changed the fuel filter, i bled off gas first at schrader valve, it shot all over the place! what other post?

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
have you unplugged the cam sensor and taken it for a drive yet? only takes 2 minutes and i wanna know what happens! haha.

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yes. still the same skipping

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals