• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How does a 2WD Ranger handle in snow?

The Toolman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99 Ranger Auto
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
I really want to buy a ranger to use for commuting to work and light hauling. Where I live, we get a lot of snow (200 inches some winters). I know a 4WD ranger would be ideal, but there's quite a penalty for the 4wd in fuel economy.

Do any of you guys drive a 2WD in heavy snow? With good snows and some extra weight, can they be made to get around pretty well in the white stuff?

Thanks for any input here.

Jerry

5 or 6 of the sand tubes will get ya about anywhere you want to go if the streets are clean or up to about 6-8 inches of snow. I've did it for 44 years in different vehicles an never had a problem. Just be smart enough to know when to an when not to go. If its that bad ya can't get there in a 2wd, you probably don't need to go anyway

I once owned a garage an a tow truck, the 4 wd guys were always the ones that thought they could go anywhere. They would go in just as far as they could an then spin the tires until they we're high centered. Winching out 4wds around here in the winter or summer mud is a money making prop. $$

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
x2 what Nhaz said. i rarely use my 4 wheel drive in the winter with the locker. it's like any other mod, you learn how to drive with it and use it to your best advantage. and never OVER estimate your skills when driving over challenging road/trail conditions. just my $.02.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
4 wd guys were always the ones that thought they could go anywhere.
Very true! When the first major snow hits New Hampshire, usually the first ones that hit the ditches are all the AWD Subarus and big 4x4 SUV's.

I've driven winters in NH with my dad's 2WD Chevy 1500 when I worked at the local airport & had to be in by 4:30 weather the roads were plowed or not. Had VERY FEW issues getting in. And I lived further away than most of my coworkers.

The last few when I've had my beloved 4x4 Ranger, 4WD was only used AS A TOOL to get home and out of the weather. Most of the time, it was in 2WD.

2WD and knowing how to drive is just as good or better in the snow than a vehicle with AWD and a driver who has no clue.

Tb8983

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Not big enough
Transmission
Manual
I had a 93 splash sleet cab auto with the 4.0 in t and it would go most places I wanted it to without an issue but when I let my mom barrow it she got stuck in town at work and had toget a hotel for the night so I guess it depends on driver and experance

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Just have few bags of sand in the back. And make sure your tires are good for the winter. You should start off in 2nd too if you have a manual. Sometimes it does help to do that. Also don't be an idiot. Like some have said before, drive carefully. Wintertime is one of the times you don't want to show off.

ranger1999 Bob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im another guy who lives sometimes in central ny (deposit) and with some sand or stones in the rear of my 2wd im ok most of the time. I have a steep gravel driveway and that is the only place i have problems but i park in the bottom of the drive and im good. Like others have said if you dont goose it too much and have weight youll do ok.. if you drive like youre on the autobahn then theres problems

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i just put my atv in the bed and have no problems. only got stuck one time last winter were i had to be pulled out and that was when i missed my buddy's drive way,roflol

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
If you know how to drive a rear wheel drive in the winter you shouldn't have any problems, i drive my truck in 2wd most of the time in the winter. Its ALL about how you drive.

PickupMan04 FX4 L2

a locker and 300#s of sand you will do fine.. i usually run mine in 2wd in the snow.. 4wd on ice.. cause you just gotta! if i were you id be worried about ice..

fireguy12117

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It didn't seem like much was mentioned about stick versus auto. i drove my 4banger 5spd the last few winters with snow tires at all 4 corners and 2-300lbs in the bed. as many mentioned, it was all about how i handled the truck and the stick helped a lot. i will say though that i did get stuck right in front of the house once with one tire on ice and an open diff, but driving snowy surface streets were a breeze. i think a large part were the small narrow snow tires that seemed to just cut through the snow instead of floating on top. i spent time doing spin outs and emergency stops in empty parking lots just to get used to how the truck responds.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
Do any of you guys drive a 2WD in heavy snow? With good snows and some extra weight, can they be made to get around pretty well in the white stuff?
They handle poorly, and there's little you can do without adding a LSD rear end, or a thousand pounds of weight in the bed which makes it both useless, and gives you the same fuel consumption as a 4x4 - without the benefit of another set of wheels helping move the truck.

retep88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I drive my 2wd ranger in the snow all the time. I jut put a good set of snow tires on the drive wheels and about 200 lbs. If you can handle the spinning and fish tailing it's fine. I have never really gotten stuck with it.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It didn't seem like much was mentioned about stick versus auto. i drove my 4banger 5spd the last few winters with snow tires at all 4 corners and 2-300lbs in the bed. as many mentioned, it was all about how i handled the truck and the stick helped a lot. i will say though that i did get stuck right in front of the house once with one tire on ice and an open diff, but driving snowy surface streets were a breeze. i think a large part were the small narrow snow tires that seemed to just cut through the snow instead of floating on top. i spent time doing spin outs and emergency stops in empty parking lots just to get used to how the truck responds.
manual was 3rd on my list when i first responded to this thread. nothing beats breaking/slowing on slick roads like down shifting a manual tranny. just my $.02.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i put 800lbs in the bed up against the cab so there is a lot of weight on the front and rear tires.. i couldn't have broken the tires loose if i tried.

therefore i was able to climb huge hills covered in ice and went up neglected logging roads to go sledding.

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ill put it this way. My girl was pregnant (not the ranger) and we went for a little spin. I had to put her in 4wd (not my wife) to get downhill in one foot of slushy snow. Coming back up put her in premature labor and we had to go to the hospital to get her calmed down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals