• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How does a 2WD Ranger handle in snow?

seanm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3L
Transmission
Manual
I have driven a 2wd Ranger in the snow for the last 12 winters. I don't put weight in the back. Why? Realistically, there are only going to be a few times a winter that the roads are not plowed. If you put weight in the back, you are paying for that all winter. I don't have 4wd for the same reason, I would only need it very rarely, but would pay for it all the time. I do carry a bit of sand with me to get me up slippery hills.

Caveat: I would not own a 2wd truck that was an automatic. You need the control that a standard gives you on those days you really should have 4wd.

Oh, and I *always* use four winter tires in the winter. It makes a huge difference. All season tires are for people who only have one season.

Pappy 1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4 litre
Transmission
Automatic
I put in 3 bags of 60 pounds each. I have and old picnic table wood as my dividers. the day I pick up my sand I didn't have the dividers in. I wish I did. thank god no one was sitting at this stop sign because the sand shafted to the front driver side. felt the truck skip across the road. 4X4 drive is great, down side is the turning with it on you are taking a little wider turns.

I remand getting a Recovery Strap of a work limit 10k break limit of no less than 20k to 30k 2-1 break limit from http://www.uscargocontrol.com/ but ones from Lowes, Home Dept., Walmart, Menards, Auto Zone, Tractor Supplies. have a 3-1 break limit
and 2 Shackles 4 3/4 tons work limit. 5-1 break limit. I had a hard time finding them at at Most of the store above. but Tractor Supplies will have it.

jcd302

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I got a Traction-Loc from a junkyard Mustang. With decent tires, I never had another problem. Before with the open diff I was always getting stuck or just spinning. Locker with some weight worked great (about 75lbs). I drove that thing for 8 years, first 2 SUCKED!

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my truck has issues going up hills in the snow but if it is moving when i hit the hill i am fine but it is all about taking your time.

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ice > 2wd open diff rangers.

I got stuck in a flat McDonalds parking lot once, Truck in reverse, the pass side rear wheel happily spinning away with the truck not moving an inch.

Otherwise it's nothing too bad so long as you don't get overzealous with the throttle.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
No experience with Ranger in snow yet. Plenty of 2 wd experience and Jeep too. Easy does it, if you need brakes, you aren't doing it right. Ballast helps but must be secured. Also, snow happens , carry a shovel. A real shovel, not a wimpy plastic or aluminum, but a no BS, steel D handled flat spade.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
2wd Ranger handles like any RWD truck. Got to be careful about fishtailing the rear end too much. Thou last year, my Ranger did really good. I was able to plow through snow up to the bumper and not get stuck. Well, until I buried it up to the frame. Good tires and a gentle right foot makes a world of difference.

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
Well I tell ya what. Last winter my 4x4 was still up on blocks and so all I had was my little Ranger. Single cab, step side bed, 2wd, 2.3L duratec with 5 speed tranny.

I have two wheel weights that I use on my Farmall and weigh in at ~#150 each. When in the bed they don't move much, but one lays in the forward part of the bed and one aft. With #300 of weight my little truck went through last winter without any problems. I attribute it mainly to the short wheelbase. My supercab 4x4 in 2wd doesn't do nearly as well as it did. During the winter I dropped 5-7 mpg. So I was only getting 25. I'm not sure what the 4x4 4.0L is going to get, but it doesn't get 25mpg ever.

BTW, I commute 140 miles/day, rain, snow, sleet, sun....

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I just put about 200 pounds in the back and I have had no problems at all

Pappy 1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Well I tell ya what. Last winter my 4x4 was still up on blocks and so all I had was my little Ranger. Single cab, step side bed, 2wd, 2.3L duratec with 5 speed tranny.

I have two wheel weights that I use on my Farmall and weigh in at ~#150 each. When in the bed they don't move much, but one lays in the forward part of the bed and one aft. With #300 of weight my little truck went through last winter without any problems. I attribute it mainly to the short wheelbase. My supercab 4x4 in 2wd doesn't do nearly as well as it did. During the winter I dropped 5-7 mpg. So I was only getting 25. I'm not sure what the 4x4 4.0L is going to get, but it doesn't get 25mpg ever.

BTW, I commute 140 miles/day, rain, snow, sleet, sun....
my truck 2002 get about 17-18 highway 15-16 city/ I have 180 Ibs. it drop 2-3 mpg.

Metallheadd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How does a 2wd ranger handle in the snow? Im guessing like it has four swivel casters.

jewalker7842

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure it has l/s or a locker , nobby tires, and weight in the bed and you should do fine.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Everyone has there own opinions honestly. From my experience (delivering pizza in Syracuse NY, in a 2.3/2wd 91 long bed), Weight in the bed, and good tires will get you everywhere you need to get, just don't try to do it very fast.

clvanhorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya it all depends on the area, types of roads, and driving style... i grew up with my dad driving 4wds. never ever worried about getting stuck in his lifted chevy's. then a few yrs ago he got a gas getter ranger ext. cab 2wd. honestly it wen't thru snow better than my 4wd (when i left it in 2wd, both had lsd rear ends) when he was running about 250 lbs of weight versus me running none. now clearly, if you get in a ditch ina 2wd, generally you're done. but the same can go for a 4wd. so i agree with a lot of guys that have posted here. learn your truck and how it handles. really, really well, and you shouldn't have much problems

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals