• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I have the Ford 8.8 28 spline LS, worth upgrading to 31 spline?

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I agree about the Auburn, I've seen those things in action several times myself.
In spite of marketing claims saying otherwise, the ECTED is NOT a locker at all (there are no locking pins, splined engagement gear or anything of the sort inside it). It's a limited slip diff that simply tightens up it's clutches when you "engage" it. Even when brand new they don't "lock up" well.

If you want a locker, the ARB or Yukon ZIP is what you're after.
I was looking into the OX locker for the rear, with the mechanical linkage...

I may want an auto locker in the front though...

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have the stock Ford 8.8 28 Spline LS rear in my truck, I want to run 4.56 and an Auburn Electric Locker... It it worth putting into this axle or should i try to find a 31 Spline Axle?

Id rather reuse mine unless there is a good reason somebody wants to talk me out of building the guts of the 28 spline with a locker n gears...

Basically, is it worth finding a new axle (31 spline)? Or is mine strong enough...
It doesn't take much to have more invested in your rear axle than the whole truck is worth.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking into the OX locker for the rear, with the mechanical linkage...

I may want an auto locker in the front though...
You would be a lot better off putting a selectable in the front and an auto locker in the back. Trust me. Unless you have hydro assist you are going to want to be able to flip a switch and flip the front off. The ass end wheeling could be welded and you will still drag it through corners without binding.

nooch450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
You would be a lot better off putting a selectable in the front and an auto locker in the back. Trust me. Unless you have hydro assist you are going to want to be able to flip a switch and flip the front off. The ass end wheeling could be welded and you will still drag it through corners without binding.
I only want to use 4x4 if the truck is stuck... and ill use Manual locking hubs, so if i need 4x4 ill lock the hubs and than the auto locker will kick in if needed... but while running my truck hard with lots of travel id rather keep the front stuff from spinning at all unless i get stuck... I dont wana weld my rear or the rear tires will burn off on the road... and i dont want an auto locker because they can be wreckless and kick in when you dont want them to causing you to spin out and crash..

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't build a 28 spline it has same bearing and shafts as the 7.5"
The only difference is the axle shafts, axle tube diameter (maybe thickness?), and outer wheel bearings/seals from a 28 spline to 31 spline 8.8.

The ring and pinion and pinion/carrier bearings are the exact same on both 8.8's.

I bought two auto lockers for my Ranger (F-150 8.8/Dana 44) for $500 new. ARB's are nice but this is 1/4 of the price:icon_thumby:

I've never had a traction issue or spinning out caused by the locker. You can feel it when you go around corners slow and when you take off turning. You have to change your driving habits but I'm willing to sacrifice that.

Maybe put a selectable locker in the front (cheap) so if you get stuck the only time the locker will work is when you'll need it and when you lock the hubs. It won't cause you traction issues and you won't even know its there.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I only want to use 4x4 if the truck is stuck... and ill use Manual locking hubs, so if i need 4x4 ill lock the hubs and than the auto locker will kick in if needed... but while running my truck hard with lots of travel id rather keep the front stuff from spinning at all unless i get stuck... I dont wana weld my rear or the rear tires will burn off on the road... and i dont want an auto locker because they can be wreckless and kick in when you dont want them to causing you to spin out and crash..
Auto lockers don't cause you to spin and die...it's your choice man just letting you know it is alot easier to control a selectable front than one with an autolocker. I do however play out in the rocks so if you are goofing in the mud or whatever I could maybe see the rear selectable. For rocks it is night and day with a front locker and an autolocker will kill power steering pumps without hydro assist.

The only difference is the axle shafts, axle tube diameter (maybe thickness?), and outer wheel bearings/seals from a 28 spline to 31 spline 8.8.

The ring and pinion and pinion/carrier bearings are the exact same on both 8.8's.
Between a 31 and 28 spline 8.8 you have bigger bearings for the shafts (the load bearing ones), substantially thicker tubes, and substantially thicker shafts. It is effectively a narrow F150 axle and is load rated as such. The 28 spline is a 7.5" with a swapped pumpkin the only parts you cannot interchange is the ring gear and carrier.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
and i dont want an auto locker because they can be wreckless and kick in when you dont want them to causing you to spin out and crash..
I must be doing it wrong, I've easily driven 75k on auto lockers :dunno:

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Between a 31 and 28 spline 8.8 you have bigger bearings for the shafts (the load bearing ones), substantially thicker tubes, and substantially thicker shafts. It is effectively a narrow F150 axle and is load rated as such. The 28 spline is a 7.5" with a swapped pumpkin the only parts you cannot interchange is the ring gear and carrier.
Exactly:icon_thumby:

Just get an auto locker. Its better to have a locker than be stuck and wish you had one!:icon_thumby:

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Im in new jersey...
What part of jersey you must live near me... cause the yards in my area like to bend you over and give no courtsy reach-around or spit

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
you guys gotta keep an eye on craigslist, central jersey, i see expo 31 splines all the time on there, i dont buy one cuz i have one sitting in the garage collecting dust waiting for me to get off my a$$ and put it in

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals