• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

(moved) 84' XLT Project

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Im going to yes to it being the first clock put into a ranger, the map light thing, which is made out of metal, came out of a truck with the knob type radio. My truck originaly had that but years ago my dad put a digital one in my truck, other then the bulb not working, radio works great, just had the get a new dash insert for it and a few mods to the warning lights area. I like the wood look better then the silver dash faces.
My light still works great! for a 26 year old bulb with an extremely old filiment.
Agreed, I have everything old dude, mostly original everything.
Adding an internal CD player thats hidden in the dash. Well.... thats the plan at least.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
looking to buy some gloss black rustolium paint here soon, next week, most likely sunday, I am heading to the junk yard and then to walmart, I have about 23.50 on me, so I can see about getting some part quotes, and get a wirebrush + some paint for the rear bumper, and the tailgate. I want to remove, clean, and repaint the hood, but doesn't it have a heat-protectant paint? Also, I wanted to see about grabbing a used battery and some old battery pole-wires from the JY to get my truck running, might just pull the old brakeline and throw in a new one later this summer.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
anybody have suggestions for additions to the truck?

I came up with new safety systems, such as aibags, 3-point harness, and a steering wheel adjustment.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Im going to be going to the JY soon to grab a pushbar off the front of a rager that has TRS stickers on it. It has a flatbed and is red, hate see it sit there but nothing i can do about it other then save a small part of it. Hard to type all this out on a ps3 , its my new toy.

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
Please get the truck running good before you get accessories for it. my buddy went and lifted his truck and didn't get it running so he had a brand new lift on a truck that didn't drive...........please don't make the same mistake cause that is a cool truck

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Please get the truck running good before you get accessories for it. my buddy went and lifted his truck and didn't get it running so he had a brand new lift on a truck that didn't drive...........please don't make the same mistake cause that is a cool truck
Good point, but I wanted to make a goal-list here of stuff I should do to make it safer, and more efficient, because airbags are a good addon, and will definately help out one day. Also, I was thinking about doing some work next week, but the problem is, no one lives close enough.

I made my list for next week:
- Buy Wirebrush For Drill
- Buy Rust Protectant Spray Paint
- Remove Bench, Clean Tracks, Paint Tracks, Re-Install
- Remove Front Bumper, Cleanup, Painting, Re-Install
- Make a Redneck Bolt-Rig For Rear Bumper
- Remove Redneck Welds From Rear Bumper, Cleanup, Repaint
- Repaint Doors And Front Fenders
- Troubleshoot Exhaust Pipe, Patch
- Find Leak On Brakeline, See About A Cheap Patch (Only if its plausable)
- Find New Side Mirrors
- Find New Frame
- Find Replacement Headlight
- Find JY Used Battery

Most likely in that order too, might add more.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Lookin for the cheapest AND safest way to lift my truck up maybe 1 or 2".
Also lookin for something that wont require me removing the body if possible.
Suspension or bodylifts.

Also, I noticed my truck looks a tad taller than other rangers, any ideas? (maybe by around 1" +/-)

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
id not wana mess with body lifts if i was you, first, get a frame dude, we have talked about this on msn already :p

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Cody, I was thinking about it for the next frame =P I am gettin one hopefully in the next few months. I am plannin on checkin the junkers for prices, and seeing about this one frame I am talking to someone about, its a sploder frame, so some modifications are gonna need to be done.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
gonna be up bright and early to work on the ranger =) maybe 5:00 or so, right when the sun comes up =D
I've got a spare battery in the barn, gonna use it for the Ranger, also gonna patch up those damned battery wires, wanna get a set when I visit the junkers, should be cheap....

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
when you swap frames is guna be the best times to fix the wiring and everything swap out the old or fix it. You can put a spacer made of Big azz washers welded together to give you a lift on the front end of your truck and then belltech shackles or blocks would work well

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Lookin to find a truck with similar shackles to a ranger, and gonna swap em out if they are longer.

Its gonna start rainin, but still gonna work on the truck tomorrow, might do some today, but since ALL the bugs are out, most likely gonna skip, they get in the way.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Alright, since the carrage bolts arn't coming off without another person helping (front bumper), I decided to work on the tailgate a little.

(from start to finish)

This is where I left off from the tailgate, trying to put the letters in white, but I decided to stop and do it after I paint it black.

The Tailgate fell off when I tried to remove it, and I started laughing my ass off because it reminded me of the bumper, the only thought in my head was "oh great, if I even go to FIX on the truck, its gonna break".

I removed the tailgate and proceeded to spray paint it using a glossy black metal paint with primer in it.

I finished that mostly, and while waiting for it to dry, I decided to see how my rims looked blacked out.

I put the tailgate back on and looked at how it was cool.

Did some minor touch up work, and some on the rest of the truck too.

I plan on redoing the entire truck with 2 coats of this type of glossy black, and even redoing the small decals on the side in paint. Also need to remember to buy some glossy white to finish the tailgate with, oh, and its not finished, the back of the tailgate is not painted, just the front of it.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Still checkin about tomorrow at the junkers, but I believe its a go.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
Planning on Glossy Black Paintjob tomorrow, and then replacing a light and hopefully find a frame for my year or similar..... Got one lined up technically, but hesitating till I see that no truck in this yard is useful.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals