• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project ST- yet another V8 swap....

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
That would look on the ranger, but thats an older model grille, not sure it would look good on the Trac....

SVT

InsaneRedRooster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Next Day? What you mean the next day? I got the lights and grille installed early that morning. That evening (last night) I got a call that my dad was stranded coming home from work, so I grabbed some desiel, desiel additive and hit the road. I was doing about 50-55 when I hit the deer. It just started raining, so my options were hit the brakes and/or swerve, which means I'd be in the ditch from the slick streets, or just hold her straight. Didn't have much of choice on that one really. But yeah, it sucks! I plan to build an offroad bumper similar to the fab fours bumper for protection from things like this, only out of aluminum for weight savings since it is my DD...

SVT
Guess I read wrong. Wow, even worse SAME day

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Look at it this way, you passed the crash test.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Look at it this way, you passed the crash test.
I laughed so hard I almost fell out of the bed the morning! But your right, it did past the crash test. Running thing is, it bend or break at the welds...

SVT

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That fender looks fine. Glad you are going on to the 06+ setup. Best looking Rangers on the road

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Just saw this, must have over looked it. Not much for updates just yet, still collecting parts. I did replace the damaged headlight, and added led fog lights, the 68smd ones. They look good, but I thought they would be brighter than what they are. With just the fog lights on, they are pretty much useless after 20 mph. I also finally did my oil filter relocation, pics and how-to coming later...

SVT

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so here is the dual oil filter relocation kit from Summit Racing, minus the 90* adapter, which is found on the 2.9L engine...

Here is the explorer 5.0L oil filter adapter. It changes the threads from the stock 3/4x16 to a metric 22x1.5. If I knew the kind of headache I had trying to adapt the 2.9L adapter, I would have gotten a kit for the metric thread and used the stock adapter, you will see in a bit...

Here is the hose adapters that come in the summit racing brand kit, they are made of aluminum...

Here the 90* adapter and the block adapter are assembled, along with the hose fittings which turned out not to work. More in a bit...

Here is the dual filter housing with the filters and hose fittings installed.
The hose was more than long enough, and I didn't want to cut it as I'm moving the filter housing when I fab my bumper. So I went to re-route the hose to the other side of the dual filter housing (they have input and outputs on both sides and come with a pair of plugs to block off the side not used) and when I removed one of the aluminum hose fittings, it stripped coming out. I know, this sounds wierd, but I threaded in the fitting by hand using caution not to strip and I got a good 4 turns on it before it started to tighten, so it wasn't cross-threaded going in. This was another part of the kit I was not happy with. I ended up cutting the last 3 threads of the fitting, tapped the filter housing, but it was still leaking, so I went and bought another fitting, this time in brass...

Before I could install the block adapter from the kit, I had to remove the female block thread adapter in favor of a male adapter that is typically used when an oil filter is attached to the block. On the left is what the explorer motor uses, which is needed for the 90* adapter. On the right is the adapter used for oil filters to the block...

Here is what it looks like on the block...

To remove this from the block, you need to obtain two 3/4x16 nuts, install them on the adapter, tighten them against each other to form a jam nut, then using the inside nut, simply back the adapter out of the block. I got this adapter from a spare motor I have in my shop. Summit Racing sells these adapters if you don't have a spare motor laying around. The aftermarket has a hex formed on the inside of the adapter making installing and removing easy. The stock doesn't have this hex as you can see...

I put a light coat of fresh oil on the O-ring and installed the block adapter on the motor...

Here it is installed on the motor with a set of 90* brass pipe fittings and the kit's aluminum hose fittings....

The block adapter I used is not one from the kit. This is one I had left over from a TransDapt kit I used on SVT. Here is the one from the kit. It has removable threaded fittings that is held in by a wire ring. I didn't like this as it is not a sealed fit, allowing oil and oil pressure to bypass the filter. Yet another feature I don't like about this kit. If it had an O-ring between the fitting and the housing, then it would be better...

Unfortunatley my phone died from this point, but all the remains is to connect the hose to the block adapter, then connect the other end to the filter housing. Remember that the "out" of the block adapter goes to the "in" of the filter housing, and the "out" of the filter housing goes to the "in" of the block adapter. Some filters have an anti drain back valve, so if the lines are connected incorrectly, your engine will starve of oil. Any place the oil line comes in contact with anything, it's a good idea to cover the line to protect it from abrasions. I simply took an extra length of hose, slit it down the side and installed it over the oil line.

Overall I do not recommend the summit racing brand dual filter relocation kit (part # 4986-1) do to the block adapter, the hose fittings, and the type of hose. For about $15 more, you can get the much better TransDapt kit. The TD kit has push-lock brass fittings that don't require hose clamps or crimping, One piece block adapter (the same one I used here), and much better quality of hose.
For those needing more clearance at the block adapter, TD sells a 90* block adapter (which I used on SVT), part # 1413, for about $10-15...

SVT

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
About a month ago I ordered a set of 68 SMD LED bulbs for my fog lights, and the next day I ordered a set of 68 SMD LED 3157 bulbs to replace my older style 5mm 19 LED bulbs. My fog light bulbs came in 2 weeks ago, but the 3157's just came in today. Here is a pic of them side by side....

It's hard to see, but here are the 68 SMD's installed just in the left side, the old style in the right, I'm surprised they are not much brighter. You can tell the white LED bulbs throw a different color in the red lens, the right side uses red LED's in the red lens...

This pic shows each of the new LED's in the housing...

Here is a shot of the whole lens...

Full shot of the rear...

Overall they are a little brighter than the older 5mm design, but I am slightly dissappointed that they are not brighter for being SMD's. For those that don't know, you can substitute a 3157 for a 3156 ( it works in either socket, you just don't have the low beam, the low beam contacts are on the inside, the high beam on the outside, on the 3156, the contacts are on the outside). I got em off ebay, paid $16 and change for 4 LED bulbs shipped to my door. I figured I could throw the change out to try and see how they are. Buggman over on TRS also makes custom LED conversions, and I'm thinking they are brighter than ebay's. Of course the ebay ones are from china, so they may be a lesser output quality...

SVT

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hows the front end looking?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic

Unfortunately, it'll be this way for a couple months. Things are going slow and I got other things going on. Still need a hood, header panel and grille. Care to donate :D

SVT

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I do have a yellow 06 grille shell. Keeping the header panel, hood, and grille for my Ranja.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Lookin good. Yea, those LED's are okay. Convenient to say the least. Plus they last 10x longer than standard bulbs.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Josh, if you ain't using it, I'll take it, not going for the chrome package on ST...
Brad, yeah, they're ok. This was kind of a trial and error thing. I was gonna wait to get the 3157 LED's for the back til after I got to see hhow bright the LED's were for the front, but I got the itch of a trigger finger when I was on eBay :D

SVT

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok. You can have it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals