• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tow Pig / Daily Driver Build

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
upgrades mentioned are for the transmission.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Did you dump the muffler at the same time as the cat? And I'd be doing the injectors, chip and all that but that's just me all my Buddys have hot rodded diesels for dd's an two have thiers on propane and set up for pulling. And I want one so bad lol

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Did you dump the muffler at the same time as the cat? And I'd be doing the injectors, chip and all that but that's just me all my Buddys have hot rodded diesels for dd's an two have thiers on propane and set up for pulling. And I want one so bad lol
What cat?

Maurice, that's a HEUI fuel system, designed in the same building I'm in....:icon_thumby:

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What cat?

Maurice, that's a HEUI fuel system, designed in the same building I'm in....:icon_thumby:
I kept the muffler, but a free flowing one.

It had a factory cat on it. I will post a picture of it when I get on a PC (on my phone now).

You got any advise on this fuel system?

All the chip tuners has said that the stock fuel injectors on these are VERY limiting as far as tuning goes.

I don't want to get to radical in this. I want to have a good balance between power and fuel mileage. Espically with fuel prices now at $4.15 a gallon locally.

Last edited:

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
The wrecker that I drove back in college was a 95, it had some kind of resonator/muffler thing, but no cat. Maybe things were different on the P/U version compared to the C&C version?

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
I dunno I just said the cat cause I saw that he said he got rid of the cat. My buddys 2000 f-250 doesn't have one from the factory either

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
You got any advise on this fuel system?

All the chip tuners has said that the stock fuel injectors on these are VERY limiting as far as tuning goes.

I don't want to get to radical in this. I want to have a good balance between power and fuel mileage. Espically with fuel prices now at $4.15 a gallon locally.
Here's my advice, don't get ahead of yourself on mods just because of what you read. Proper tuning makes a world of difference on these trucks. You say you don't want to get radical, but performance mods for these past your basic chip/intake/exhaust is a expensive slippery slope. You already have your exhaust and gauges which is great. Get yourself a better flowing intake, throw the chip on and see how you like it. The intercooler is a great idea since you will be towing. I'm going to have to upgrade mine eventually and spend the big bucks on a Banks, Spearco, or Hypermax to lower my EGTs away from the scary zone while pulling grades. This is the reason I would wait on the injectors, because that's only going to make it worse. That and you may just be happy where it is after the basic upgrades.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
I thought one of the draws to the bigger Injectors was that when you have more fuel goin in it dropped the egts? Because not all of it burns or somthing.. But of course wasted fuel wouldn't help economy

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I thought one of the draws to the bigger Injectors was that when you have more fuel goin in it dropped the egts? Because not all of it burns or somthing.. But of course wasted fuel wouldn't help economy
Diesel engines behave oppositely to gasoline engines. If there is too much fuel (too large of injectors, too small of turbo, etc), the combustion temperatures raise VERY quickly.

All I'll say is to keep an eye on the oil pump (HPP), and I would suggest oil analysis as well. :icon_thumby:

Blackstone is supposed to be pretty good, this oil change will be the first time I'll have used them.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
Intereresting I've always heard the opposite. Look at that u learn somthing everyday

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i have a 95 with over 800k on it.

banks controller for trans dont mean shit if the pump is worn and the physical components in the valve body are worn or debris laden. the axiom pump/converter is worth the effort when the time comes. if the trans is solid now the banks will keep it that way for many miles to come if your reasonable with modification to the engine.

if you find the truck lacking in power then upgrading may be necessary. i would just drive it like it is and dont waste money on shit that will never end and see if you can live with it.

on this side of the mississippi power should be ok. i have the soot trap/resonator thing in my application. seems ok.

i have had a few of these in various forms and we ran a 6.0 for a year too.

one thing i have seen with chips hand in hand under 100k. injector issues.

hpop and injectors live long trouble free lives if you can work with these things in stock power trim ime.

maximizing efficiency with a specific truck on roller tune may be worth it though.

couldnt get me to waste a nickel on dumb shiot for my tow bitch.

defeats the whole purpose of the ****ing thing.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The intercooler is a great idea since you will be towing. I'm going to have to upgrade mine eventually and spend the big bucks on a Banks, Spearco, or Hypermax to lower my EGTs away from the scary zone while pulling grades.
If / when you decide to upgrade your intercooler, let me know. I might buy it if I haven't go one yet.

I think I am going to wait on the chip.

The transmission shifts good. I will probably throw a larger external cooler on it just for shits and giggles.

Anyone know a good place to put the transmission temp sensor in the tranny?

The info is good fella's, keep it coming. I am learning with this truck big time. This is the first diesel I have ever owned.

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Here's a great cheap filter set up: http://www.midnightmods.com/2010/01/6637-mod.html

This is what I run on my truck, only I did it myself because I don't have a 45 degree bend on my intake. For the price that guy sells it for it's not even worth messing with. Great filtration from a paper filter, cheap, flows way more than stock, and goes a long time between changes because of it's sheer size.

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I might have to look into that filter setup.

I could probably knock out the 45* tube myself. That shouldn't be all that hard to find a 4" 45* elbow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals