Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Rowdy Fitzgerald'
August 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Flit-e' Dave'
August 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
totustuus

totustuus is on a distinguished road
Default How does a 2WD Ranger handle in snow?

I really want to buy a ranger to use for commuting to work and light hauling. Where I live, we get a lot of snow (200 inches some winters). I know a 4WD ranger would be ideal, but there's quite a penalty for the 4wd in fuel economy.

Do any of you guys drive a 2WD in heavy snow? With good snows and some extra weight, can they be made to get around pretty well in the white stuff?

Thanks for any input here.

Jerry
totustuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
02RangerXLT

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold

I would assume it handles like any other rear wheel drive in snow, pretty crappy. But if you have weight in the bed and you know how to drive it, you should do fine...

I've driven my pickup in 2wd in the snow just to see how bad it is, and I personally wouldn't drive anything but a 4wd in the snow, just too much sliding around for me.
Huked on fonikz workded good fer me!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5L_STX View Post
meh, :kicks dirt: :walks away:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrian222 View Post
Somewhere, a village in Kenya is missing its idiot.
02RangerXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
hoosier1104
Infidel RX8

Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Make: Mazda
Vehicle Model: RX8
I use this vehicle for: Having fun and pissing off everyone
hoosier1104 has a brilliant futurehoosier1104 has a brilliant futurehoosier1104 has a brilliant futurehoosier1104 has a brilliant futurehoosier1104 has a brilliant futurehoosier1104 has a brilliant futurehoosier1104 has a brilliant futurehoosier1104 has a brilliant futurehoosier1104 has a brilliant futurehoosier1104 has a brilliant futurehoosier1104 has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to hoosier1104

We got a couple descent snow falls last winter. Had around 15 landscaping stones that weight in at 15 lbs a piece for a grand total of 225 lbs over the rear axle and I did fine.
Indiana Ranger Owner's Group<-----------For the skinny on what is going down in IN for Ranger Owner's
03 Honda CBR F4i Build<------------------Bike Build Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopman View Post
Once you own a Ranger, everything else doesn't quite fit you.
hoosier1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
koda6966

Vehicle Year: 1993
I use this vehicle for: Giving me pride.
koda6966 is a splendid one to beholdkoda6966 is a splendid one to beholdkoda6966 is a splendid one to beholdkoda6966 is a splendid one to beholdkoda6966 is a splendid one to beholdkoda6966 is a splendid one to beholdkoda6966 is a splendid one to behold

Crappy. Weight in the bed and studded tires will get you a long ways though. It's your best bet if 4x4 isn't an option. I'm from NY too, and I know how bad the snow sucks here.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6/auto/4x4. Light Duty Tow Pig.

Ranger Build Thread.
Jeep XJ Build Thread.
koda6966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Tedybear

Vehicle Year: 1989, 2001
Vehicle Make: 1989=Bronco II
Vehicle Model: 2001=Volkswagen Beetle
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
Tedybear has a spectacular aura aboutTedybear has a spectacular aura aboutTedybear has a spectacular aura about

With the BII with just RWD? I got stuck in our parking lot just once LOL!! It was my own fault for letting the truck roll forward and getting the front wheel wedged into an ice pothole one of the neighbors made while pulling out.

Good tires and a few sand bags/weight should pay off. But nothing replaces or can sub for being with a lot of experience in winter/snow driving. I've seen people on ice/snow covered roads do extremely well----because they know what they are doing. I've seen IDIOTS even with 4WD end up in ditches and roll overs due to being just to cocky. Some feel the "4WD" or "AWD" is a free pass to do 65mph on a snow covered highway. That's not smart---and I'll be the one calling it into the NYS police "Yep, some idiot took a corner at 65 when he/she should have been doing 40".

That's just my opinion, your mileage may vary :-)

S-
Tedybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
-Nathan-
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1993 / 2001
Vehicle Model: Ranger / F-250
I use this vehicle for: prerunner/ daily driver-tow rig
-Nathan- is a jewel in the rough-Nathan- is a jewel in the rough-Nathan- is a jewel in the rough

a BII in 2wd is MUCH better in the snow than a Ranger in 2wd...its all about weight distribution.

Long story short, a 2wd truck sucks monkey balls in the snow, especially if its got an open diff.

I think youd be better off in a little front wheel drive car with good snow tires than a stock ranger in 2wd.

2001 Ford F-250 4x4 - 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel - ZF-6 speed - bunch of goodies ........daily driver/tow rig
-Nathan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Hopman

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: "Flying Eggplant" edition Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver & helping friends
Hopman will become famous soon enough

I ran my 4x4 Ranger in snow much of the last two winters here in NH. No weight in the bed, but I did get a set of Firestone Destination A/T's for it. It worked fine for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Kip View Post
"0-60 in...... wait.... lets see if it can even go that fast first..."
Hopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #8
darkspork

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
darkspork is on a distinguished road

2wd Rangers fair a lot better than 2wd S-10s in the snow (about the same as a Dakota though). You'll probably be fine if you make sure there is enough weight in the bed. A friend of mine has a 2wd Mazda B3000 (a 3.0 V6 Ranger essentially) and with sandbags in the bed it's fine in the snow, he's never had problems. The 4x4 get you around the crappiest winter days when you shouldn't be driving anyways. There is little penalty for having 4x4, the big penalty comes from actually using the 4x4, and the gearing used with the 4x4. That being said, everybody I know with the 4.0 SOHC V6 Ranger or Sport Trac gets similar mileage to me, 4wd or not. There are lots and lots of factors though. If a 2wd Ranger is your thing I'd be allover the 4cyl one with a manual tranny. They can be bought cheap, especially in places it snows, they don't have as much torque so it should be a little easier not to spin the wheels in snow/ice and the engines are smaller so there is less weight in the front (I'm sure it's a negligible difference).

If gas mileage is a concern to you a pickup might not be the best option. When you say hauling do you mean towing or just moving large objects? It's a amazing how much you can fit in a wagon if the seats fold flat and some of them get good gas mileage, plus the option of FWD or AWD if that's your preference.

Just my opinion.
darkspork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
master hec0

Vehicle Year: 2011
I use this vehicle for: DD,offroading
master hec0 will become famous soon enough

2 winters ago i ended up in the ditch with 2wd ranger. i avoid using it in the winter now because it just spins tires. if your going to use it go with studded tires and alot of weight. i had filled the whole bed with compacted snow but still got no traction. on the other hand my rwd car was far superior and it also had all season tires. for that reason alone i will never buy 2wd ranger they suck in snow.
master hec0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
cody93

Vehicle Year: 1987,1987
Vehicle Make: FORD, duh
Vehicle Model: rANGER x2
I use this vehicle for: scaring yuppies on the interstate
cody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud of

stick a few fat chicks in the back and ur good to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
Once upon a time it was financially practical to ship dirty laundry to China to have it washed rather than wash it in San Francisco.
cody93 is offline   Reply With Quote