• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Focus and Fiesta

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
OK, bit of a long shot, but my sister has asked me to find her next car for her. I'm doing the looking, and she'll, I guess, do the rest (check it out, test drive, purchase). She wants a car. I know somebody here has a Fiesta, and it has the same dual clutch transmission as the Focus (which is on my list for her). @Dirtman Is that you with the Fiesta? It's a 2011, right? I know that transmission had major issues, Has Ford fixed it for the 2015 and up (do you know?)?

To muddy the waters even further, @adsm08 (and I know there's another Ford technician around here somewhere), if I stray away from the Focus and Fiesta, what Fords do you see the least of for repairs?

Somebody else around here works for one of the other manufacturers, too, I think. I'll give you the same question as I gave adsm and the Ford guys (but I'll ask you to tell me which manufacturer you work for, please).

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Focus and Fiesta use the same DPS6 transmission with the dual clutch setup. Some later Focuses got a real automatic transmission again. Both Focus and Fiesta are very reliable cars, when equipped with a manual transmission.

On the whole I see the least amount of issues with Fusions. They almost never break, and even when they do there is generally enough room to work on them.

Stay far far away from the 1.5L engine. My top two picks for a Fusion engine would by the 2.0T and the 2.5NA, in no particular order. 2.5 is a bit easier to work on, but has a lot less power for roughly the same economy.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Wifes gotna 2.5 in her escape...160k with no problems besides a starter, had 49k when we bought it in 2012.

I know even the newest ones are gettin a bit long in the tooth but....panther cars (crown vic, marquis, town car) are rock solid rides that can be bought in nice shape for peanuts and are super nice rides with decent MPG.

Not everyones cup of tea but an idea.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My mom has a manual trans Fiesta, gets 37ish mpg and has been very reliable...

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
OK, bit of a long shot, but my sister has asked me to find her next car for her. I'm doing the looking, and she'll, I guess, do the rest (check it out, test drive, purchase). She wants a car. I know somebody here has a Fiesta, and it has the same dual clutch transmission as the Focus (which is on my list for her). @Dirtman Is that you with the Fiesta? It's a 2011, right? I know that transmission had major issues, Has Ford fixed it for the 2015 and up (do you know?)?

To muddy the waters even further, @adsm08 (and I know there's another Ford technician around here somewhere), if I stray away from the Focus and Fiesta, what Fords do you see the least of for repairs?

Somebody else around here works for one of the other manufacturers, too, I think. I'll give you the same question as I gave adsm and the Ford guys (but I'll ask you to tell me which manufacturer you work for, please).
Hope this helps.

20200817_190544.jpg

Last edited:

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Mazda 3. Not "Ford" officially, but drove it off the lot brand new and it had a motorcraft 910s oil filter on it from the factory, Ford script on the clutch/brake tank, and Ford script on the back of the front brake calipers. 335,000 miles on the original factory clutch. Couldn't beat it to death with a stick.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Wifes gotna 2.5 in her escape...160k with no problems besides a starter, had 49k when we bought it in 2012.

I know even the newest ones are gettin a bit long in the tooth but....panther cars (crown vic, marquis, town car) are rock solid rides that can be bought in nice shape for peanuts and are super nice rides with decent MPG.

Not everyones cup of tea but an idea.
Yes, Crown Vics are really nice cars. But, my sister wants something 2015 or newer.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My mom has a manual trans Fiesta, gets 37ish mpg and has been very reliable...
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I'm assuming the rest of the car is reliable? My sister wants an automatic (I know about the transmission problems).

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Mazda 3. Not "Ford" officially, but drove it off the lot brand new and it had a motorcraft 910s oil filter on it from the factory, Ford script on the clutch/brake tank, and Ford script on the back of the front brake calipers. 335,000 miles on the original factory clutch. Couldn't beat it to death with a stick.
Thanks. I think the Mazda 3 is basicly a Focus with a different body and interior, right?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Focus and Fiesta use the same DPS6 transmission with the dual clutch setup. Some later Focuses got a real automatic transmission again. Both Focus and Fiesta are very reliable cars, when equipped with a manual transmission.

On the whole I see the least amount of issues with Fusions. They almost never break, and even when they do there is generally enough room to work on them.

Stay far far away from the 1.5L engine. My top two picks for a Fusion engine would by the 2.0T and the 2.5NA, in no particular order. 2.5 is a bit easier to work on, but has a lot less power for roughly the same economy.
Thanks. What was the deciding factor on which Focus cars got the real automatic? What year did they start doing that? I'm looking at 2015 and newer cars.

Fusion is a good idea, thanks.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thanks. What was the deciding factor on which Focus cars got the real automatic? What year did they start doing that? I'm looking at 2015 and newer cars.

Fusion is a good idea, thanks.
Looks like the 6F15 (the real auto) became available in 2016. As for how to tell which one it has, you just gotta know what you are looking at. Externally the 6F15 is very visually distinct from the DPS6. The only car I have worked on that I know had it also had the 1.0L 3-cyl engine, but from what I've seen I'd rather deal with a DPS6 than a 1.0L.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I'm assuming the rest of the car is reliable? My sister wants an automatic (I know about the transmission problems).
If she really wants one get a manual and teach her how to drive a clutch. My daughter got a new 2014 Fiesta and the automatic transmissions are bad enough that there is a class action lawsuit against Ford about it. Hers hasn't been as bad as some, only back to the dealer twice for reflashing the trans computer and another time to replace the computer. Otherwise a very trouble-free car despite 75,000 miles of girl-type driving and maintenance.

Ford mostly builds great engines but their transmissions are shit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals