• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Focus and Fiesta

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If she really wants one get a manual and teach her how to drive a clutch. My daughter got a new 2014 Fiesta and the automatic transmissions are bad enough that there is a class action lawsuit against Ford about it. Hers hasn't been as bad as some, only back to the dealer twice for reflashing the trans computer and another time to replace the computer. Otherwise a very trouble-free car despite 75,000 miles of girl-type driving and maintenance.

Ford mostly builds great engines but their transmissions are shit.
She can already drive a standard. Actually, she learned on a 3 on the tree. But, the car's not for her, it's for her husband (debatable whether he can drive a standard), and her son may drive it, too (and I'm pretty sure he can't). If I was buying for me, I'd go with a standard for sure, but she specifically asked for an automatic.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Looks like the 6F15 (the real auto) became available in 2016. As for how to tell which one it has, you just gotta know what you are looking at. Externally the 6F15 is very visually distinct from the DPS6. The only car I have worked on that I know had it also had the 1.0L 3-cyl engine, but from what I've seen I'd rather deal with a DPS6 than a 1.0L.
Thanks. How bad is the DPS6, really? I've heard varying stories about it on here, from "self destructs" to "it just stutters".

It's a manual transmission with two clutches (one for even gears, one for odd?) that is shifted (and the clutch operated) by the computer, right? And the computer programming causes harsh shifts, a stutter when starting from a standing stop, and that's all, right? And flashing the computer fixes that?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thanks. How bad is the DPS6, really? I've heard varying stories about it on here, from "self destructs" to "it just stutters".

It's a manual transmission with two clutches (one for even gears, one for odd?) that is shifted (and the clutch operated) by the computer, right? And the computer programming causes harsh shifts, a stutter when starting from a standing stop, and that's all, right? And flashing the computer fixes that?
Mostly, yes.

Only once have I ever seen the internals of that trans die, but we replace the control modules frequently. When the TCM goes it can cause a range of issues from poor shifting and check engine lights to a no start. Many times a software update and reset will fix harsh shifting, sometimes it needs a clutch. They are also subject to other normal manual trans issues like throw out bearing failures.

The software can't handle the clutch the same way a person can and that plus expectations cause most of the issues.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I just had the module replaced on my 2013 Focus at 105k miles. It's covered under an extended warranty agreement up to 150k. Good little car otherwise, but too small for me. I sold it right after the repair. The only other issue I had with it for the time I had it was the BCM connection at the negative battery cable and the A/C pigtail having random connection problems.

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think if you drive the dual clutch things like you stole them they do ok, when you drive them normal they slip more going in and out of gear politly and wear out the clutches faster.

I would rather have a hydrostat than one of those POS's.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I think if you drive the dual clutch things like you stole them they do ok, when you drive them normal they slip more going in and out of gear politly and wear out the clutches faster.

I would rather have a hydrostat than one of those POS's.
Yup, they work awesome in a straight line with your foot to the floor. Fastest shifting things ever created. But get the computer confused by doing stuff like "turning" or "slowing down" and your screwed.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup, they work awesome in a straight line with your foot to the floor. Fastest shifting things ever created. But get the computer confused by doing stuff like "turning" or "slowing down" and your screwed.
It’s the nature of the beast, dry clutches do not take slipping well.

Done right and ran in oil they would last forever.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It’s the nature of the beast, dry clutches do not take slipping well.

Done right and ran in oil they would last forever.
Not just the clutch slipping (yes that puts a ton of wear on them) but just the computers control in general sucks. The system just isn't smart enough and often gets confused over what gear to set up next. Gotta remember these things have to anticipate everything your going to do. Mine is almost always wrong so the shifts are slow, or skips to a wrong gear etc.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Not just the clutch slipping (yes that puts a ton of wear on them) but just the computers control in general sucks. The system just isn't smart enough and often gets confused over what gear to set up next. Gotta remember these things have to anticipate everything your going to do. Mine is almost always wrong so the shifts are slow, or skips to a wrong gear etc.
Why couldnt they have just used a normal automatic?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Dual clutch is technically more efficient than regular manual or automatic... If it works the way it should.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I originally liked driving them, down hills they hold back like a standard. Some people really had trouble getting used to the way they work, if you touch the brake at all the clutch disengages, once you apply throttle it slowly engages the clutch and you drive away. There is no holding a car in place on a hill by applying a little gas, it engages and drives away. The biggest thing I didn't like was trying to back on in between 2 other new cars in a snow covered lot, without being able to modulate the speed with the brake it was tough to keep from side swiping another car. I was able to cure some chattering clutches by accelerating WOT up the highway ramps and making it shift through the gears a few times.Overly gentle drivers cause the clutches to slip, get glazed, and chatter. Heavy footed drivers had fewer complaints.Another item: Fiesta 1.6's have timing belts and Focus 2.0s are chain drive. Both are interference engines- meaning if the belt brakes the valve will hit the pistons. It's dumb but that's what happens when the Europeans "help" us.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Also, 1.6 water pumps are problematic. They are prone to leaking, and part of it sits behind the timing belt, so it's like a 4.5 hour job to replace the pump.

The 2.0 water pump can be a bastard to get out, but it is out in the open. The O-ring seal just gets stuck and there isn't a lot to grab on to.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Dual clutch is technically more efficient than regular manual or automatic... If it works the way it should.
So are CVTs on paper and yet here we are...

Manufacturers can’t seem to make either of them reliable.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
So are CVTs on paper and yet here we are...

Manufacturers can’t seem to make either of them reliable.
Polaris seems to have their CVT transmissions figured out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals