• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The RangerStation are Nazis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Can I get SOME SORT of clarification on the "don't ask, don't tell" policy on catalytic converters on this board?

3. The only way it may be even remotely legal to remove it would be on an off-road-only vehicle that is never driven on public roads.
And I don't understand how being an OFF ROAD site, catering to my personally hated pre-runners fans:annoyed:, that we can't help those who would like to know how to fix a CEL when they run with no cat.:icon_confused:

I don't understand what's the problem, why does TRS ASSUME everyone to be guilty when they want to remove their cat? As far as I'm concerned, ONLY if they indicated in anyway in the subject that it is to be street driven should any punishment occur. Now I'm a reasonable guy, and don't understand the intolerance on this subject, especially when other "Iffy" subjects are allowed such as the dura-spark conversion, changing "chips" in your ECM, and other performance modifications that are not emissions legal.:dunno:

R***A**N**G**E***R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Can I get SOME SORT of clarification on the "don't ask, don't tell" policy on catalytic converters on this board?

And I don't understand how being an OFF ROAD site, catering to my personally hated pre-runners fans:annoyed:, that we can't help those who would like to know how to fix a CEL when they run with no cat.:icon_confused:

I don't understand what's the problem, why does TRS ASSUME everyone to be guilty when they want to remove their cat? As far as I'm concerned, ONLY if they indicated in anyway in the subject that it is to be street driven should any punishment occur. Now I'm a reasonable guy, and don't understand the intolerance on this subject, especially when other "Iffy" subjects are allowed such as the dura-spark conversion, changing "chips" in your ECM, and other performance modifications that are not emissions legal.:dunno:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbOtyWTRZ_g

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Relax....it's kinda like the warning sticker on a lawn mower--"Do not sharpen blade while mower is running".....or posting on facebook---"The ATM just gave me $2,000, but my receipt only shows a $20 withdrawl"....think about it.

Last edited:

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
trs is a place with a standard of conduct,

don't be that guy in sandals, cut-off jeans, and a def-leppard wife-beater calling the matre'd of a nice restaurant a "nazi" because his idea of a dress code is not the same as their idea of a dress code

but on another note trs is a large, respectable, and reputable entity, not some guy in is basement with a server. they can't afford to be liable for jackasses out there who break federal law (by cutting out or gutting cats) and when that jackass tries to get out of his punishment he says "the guys at the ranger station said it was ok......."

its called "cover your ass"

Last edited:

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For what its worth, this site is not just an off road only site...

And what do you mean, "assume everyone to be guilty"? In my experiences, every post that I have seen about removing the cats has been on a vehicle that is also driven on road... the little information box next to every post helps with that quite a bit.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Here in Florida we don't have anymore yearly state / emission testing like we used to. Who is to know if somebody has taken off their cats?? I could not tell by somebody passing by me or pulling up next to me at a traffic light. I guess if I wanted to I could take of my system as well. I won't do that. I do know that it probably could cause issues with the system if you do and your truck could run really bad...but I am not sure how that stuff works anyhow and nor to I care. I am sure that somebody on this site knows more about it them most of us do. I will just leave mine on and run it like that forever!!!

I lived in Germany several times back in the 60's (dad was in the military) and again inthe 80's while I was in the military I went back to several places I used to live in Germany. I did notice something really odd...the forest along the Autobahn had been so vastly eroded!! I mean the forest was right up to the Autobahn and when I saw it again the forest was like 100 years back. The Germans started to use emission control devices on their cars when they noticed the forest were receding a bunch!!! At least a country gave a damn!!! Now about China and all those cars they have over there.....lol

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
not to mention if there was somebody who wanted to do it on a street car and read it in an offroad topic would learn how to do it.

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual

Thanks to this post if there happens to be a state trooper on these forums or police unit as well that lives in that area, he'd be sure to stop you. So count your eggs before you start hatching them.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
he'd be sure to stop you
but he won't know which rig is yours so thanks to you every rbv in your county is now that much more likely to get hassled :icon_thumby:

Ferrell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
but he won't know which rig is yours so thanks to you every rbv in your county is now that much more likely to get hassled :icon_thumby:
Oh he might not know what rig the dude is driving, but he'd make a point to keep an eye on all the rangers like his in that town. I've had similar problems with the police here.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
whats that noise?

cats!

race applications wont be an excuse either soon....bummer.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
Oh he might not know what rig the dude is driving, but he'd make a point to keep an eye on all the rangers like his in that town. I've had similar problems with the police here.
that's exactly what i was saying

i have entire ploice jurisdictions that i refuse to drive in here, i was on the freeway a few weeks back got a speeding ticket, the officer wrote the fine for $360, when i went to pay it the clerk thought it was a clerical error

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i have inadvertently given information many times that lead to a scolding as i did not think about the ramifications.... like unintentionall showing how to easily steal a vehicle etc...

this is an application dependent issue...but the site usually is cautious and borders nazi on these types of issues...what are ya gonna do?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Go to any muffeler shop, if it is just a visual inspection it just has to be there it aint gotta work. Any vehicle that came stock with a cat has to have one no matter what year. federal law! only with the sniffer does it have to work.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Now I'm a reasonable guy, and don't understand the intolerance on this subject, especially when other "Iffy" subjects are allowed such as the dura-spark conversion, changing "chips" in your ECM, and other performance modifications that are not emissions legal.:dunno:

Well, for one thing, removing computer control systems without altering the fuel delivery system (the duraspark conversion), chipping, and other "discussable" emissions alterations MIGHT be illegal in your local area, depending on your local laws.

Except for on a vehicle that is driven exclusively off road, is a pre-1975 model year, or was not factory equipped with a cat (Hondas up to 1980) removal of the converter is a FEDERAL OFFENSE. That means if you are anywhere in America, it's not legal to do it. Not ifs, ands, or local laws about it.

In the instance of the thread that triggered this one, I almost 100% guarantee that the vehicle in question was intended for street use. If it was a pure off-road truck he would have either ignored or removed the CEL. +99.5% of people who are worried about a CEL from a mod have to pass some sort of emissions or safety inspection that lists a CEL as rejectable, or plan to drive it on the street as a commuter.

That's just my experience from 5 years in the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals