• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The RangerStation are Nazis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
down here u can take out everything u want, nobody gives a damn, but i wont take off the cat of my truck just for that, besides the annoying CEL, the fugly noise the exhaust makes and the idle problems(ive seen adn driven a 2.5 ranger without cat) i dont want to harm the environment, nobody gives a damn here, but i do.

if i would have to take it off, because mine wont work properly anymore i would try my best to get another catalitic converter

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Have I mentioned lately, on TRS, how much I love Star Trek.

When I was a kid I didn't watch Reading Rainbow because it was awesome (for a 6 year old), I watched it because it had Geordi LaForge.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i too enjoy teh star trek

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
If you are that concerned with the extra 1% power or less you will gain, and are that broke that you cannot afford a high-flow cat, grab one from a 4.0 Ranger/Explorer/Navajo/Mountaineer of any year. The factory cat flows almost as good as any aftermarket cat of the same size. If your truck has a 4.0, why are you upgrading something that isn't holding your motor back?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I am really torn regarding cats... I don't have any problem with them being on a vehicle, it is whatever. I do have a problem with exhaust shops that want to ass rape you when you do custom exhaust - ie charging $250+ more to add cats when you can get universal ones for $40. Fawk that.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you are that concerned with the extra 1% power or less you will gain, and are that broke that you cannot afford a high-flow cat, grab one from a 4.0 Ranger/Explorer/Navajo/Mountaineer of any year. The factory cat flows almost as good as any aftermarket cat of the same size. If your truck has a 4.0, why are you upgrading something that isn't holding your motor back?
Agreed here. The original cats used in the 70s were grafted onto existing systems and, like most other emissions controls of the era caused more problems than they solved.

Modern cats cause little to no restriction as the engines are designed to run with them in place. When I was a stupid teenager (I'm now a stupid mid-20-something) I punched out my cats. My truck ran worse afterwards. I was broke though and didn't replace the converter until a back-fire caused by a bad O2 sensor detonated the shell.

I don't have any problem with them being on a vehicle, it is whatever. I do have a problem with exhaust shops that want to ass rape you when you do custom exhaust - ie charging $250+ more to add cats when you can get universal ones for $40. Fawk that.
Again, agreed. The prices muffler shops charge you for putting cats in a custom system are ridiculous. There really should be a price cap on it, because I know for a fact that it doesn't cost nearly that much to put them in.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+99.5% of people who are worried about a CEL from a mod have to pass some sort of emissions or safety inspection that lists a CEL as rejectable, or plan to drive it on the street as a commuter.
Not I.

I don't want a light on because I messed with something to block a real problem. Anybody that modifies their junk and cares about it should see it the same way.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I've actually gone around with the mods about this stuff before.

Here's my point of view:

I don't give a crap. If you want to go break the law go right ahead. Don't come crying to us when you get in trouble and, oh, by the way, thanks for adding to the air pollution.

Here's the staff's point of view:

One of you is going to get in trouble and then turn on TRS because you got the information here on how to do it. Then I'll be getting sued because someone did something they should have known not to do and played stupid.

You have to remember, we live in a country where people can sue McDonalds because their coffee is hot and win.

The staff is just trying to protect us from liability.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i've actually gone around with the mods about this stuff before.

Here's my point of view:

I don't give a crap. If you want to go break the law go right ahead. Don't come crying to us when you get in trouble and, oh, by the way, thanks for adding to the air pollution.

Here's the staff's point of view:

One of you is going to get in trouble and then turn on trs because you got the information here on how to do it. Then i'll be getting sued because someone did something they should have known not to do and played stupid.

You have to remember, we live in a country where people can sue mcdonalds because their coffee is hot and win.

The staff is just trying to protect us from liability.
word!!!

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
What Jim said.....

We all drive above the speed limit....it's still illegal to do so, and is not advised by anyone with regards to 'safety/health' etc.

I'll admit.... I have gutted cats and an O2 sensor bypass jury rigged in..... But it's only there as a temp fix for clogged cats until I do a total rework of the exhaust system. Most places are either doing emissions testing, or will be in the foreseeable future. If you have cat issues, replace it with an aftermarket high flow.... Your still legal, still getting as good of performance as possible and no CEL.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hell,i even have a cat on my air compressor motor(2.9).....as has been said,the modern ones are usually the best flowing part of the exhaust system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals